British Public Information Films

I have an absolute passion for those old Public Information Films and have a small collection of postcards from certain 'Information Campaigns' over the years. Now unfortunately most of these have been lost or well I just can't get at them atm :yay: So when I found This site this morning I have been jumping for joy and watching film after film after film reel...hehe and will ofc be trying to find out if there are copies available to buy on dvd :yay:

The ones I particularly remember are from the late 60's to the 80's which imho are absolute classics of Briatain at that time. hehe if I had my way they'd still be run now on tv :4rofl: Oh and the 'Protect & Survive' ones :viking: they were scary as a kid. 'Go to the Fall out Room Now'....lol :yay: eek....does anyone remeber the Film 'Threads'...I know I digress! but that was such an odd film! and yeah I have that on dvd too LOL...poor Sheffield...nuked...it was actually really grim but compelling watching, shown iirc in quite a few schools in the mid 80's.

You have to watch 'Lonely Water' I have vivid memories of that one :P as a small kid it was a chilling tale! Although The Charlie Series have to be the ones I absolutely love!

I know there are a few Brits and Ex Pats on here who might recognise a lot of these films. Which films do you remember? which do you love or loathe? Do you remember the slogans which came from some of these films? 'Stop, Look, Listen' 'Charley says....'

Those of you from other countries do you have memories of similar Public Information films? Do you have links for them? Do they still make them in your country?

:crazy: HK was a British colony, so I grew up watching those you watched.

I can't pull any out of my head though. Fun site though. :drunkards:

ha!

Claire, this is a wonderul topic and you've given me a scary trip down memory lane... :D

lol, here in canada we have an association called the CTV

lol, Canadian Television or something like that :P This network tries to produce "national" content... Most of it is about lumberjacks which was this ridiculously boring and unbelievably bad acted series called The BeachCombers (the longest running tv series in canada...shame! ... :o and other national public service announcements which they all felt was in the national public interest lol

Needless to say (and perhaps shamefuly so ;)) the channel that ctv used to broadcast on was the least watched channel in my youth, myself and my brother opting out instead for anything with the american words abc or nbc on it because they had the coolest cartoons and...star trek!

lol, I can only watch so many tv shows about forest fires and log jumping and everything on CTV used to have a strange look to it...kind of like it was all filmed on home video cams (surprise it was! :P) and just couldn't hold a candle to the special effect of Wham Pow Pow Saturday morning cartoons and Transformers!

Yes, I'm a Canadian washout...

halp!

:4rofl:

gogo

Who uses candle nowadays anyway? no lose there man. :D

And oh god the Transformers, do you know how difficult it is to hunt down the original series? The HK version speaks lame Chinese with even lamer names for the heroes. :4rofl:

:4rofl::D;)

Gogo I Love you too!

HAHAH That is brilliant...beautiful...that tune....fluff up that hair chia pets salute OMG TY TY TY

:P

Is it pushing it to ask for a full episode?

Actually it's very like British TV of it's time! :P and oh dear (most generations) have had some real stunners, set shaking, camera men in the background ground series shown...but they really are the best.... :3lmao: Raw TV....low budget....homey feel...hahah tackling issues of the day. :3lmao: ..ahh gogo TY just that tune has me griinning like a lunatic!

But hey I loved the

so what do I know about tv :P and give it time to really get into it's own groove :o

Oh god, I once saw the nuclear attack one... Hilarious! If someone should die bury them quickly and do not spend too much time outside... Riiiiight..

and Fawlty Towers!! :yay::yay:

We have seasons 1 & 2, great comedy!

:yay:

~Doom