Babylon 5

I've been reading about this, it looks rather good and I'm thinking of trying it out, anyone seen it, and if they have, whats it like?

:yay:

~Doom

Its one of the better sci fri out there. A real story with its planned plot and climax etc, unlike some of the others. :yay:

I didn't get to see a lot of this series, but wow...the ones I saw of it were fantastic. Some great writing, FANTASTIC ships.

800ships4.jpg

I want to say that again, FANTASTIC ships and the story lines I did catch were full of real "pain". By this I mean that I was able to synch in with the characters and some very gruesome moments. (eye gouged out scene? :yay:)

I'd only seen a few episodes with the shadow ships, but wow were they ever hot. This series did a lot for bringing cga ships to the tv series stage, but such imagination. I could never get enough of seeing what kind of creations they would bring to life in that haunted way.

Stellar choice for sci-fi

:yay:

gogo

p.s. llama, you, me, bhj and mister stick need to have a work with you mister. :yay:

It is a great serise one of the best pre planed plots. Rich story, caracters and deep episodes.

I am not sure that you will like the CG ships and cheap masks they use Tim[I say cheap because they look cheap from point of view of 2007 not when the series was out dont kill me for it] but they were best of its time.

All in all a great SF series. I had the luck to watch it all at once. Got the series and watched all the episodes. :D

You know what the cool thing here is ? And I hope you understand when I say this, but...

I never saw the zippers on the backs of these guys.

Make sense? I was so engrossed and drawn in by the few episodes I had seen, that lack of money never even showed one bit.

And/or I just didn't care about money being a problem if comparing it to star trek, because babylon five really was it's own show and could stand on it's own legs. Superb characters, great writing, lots of real "feeling" and superb sci-fi imagination made this series a showcase for sci-fi.

minbashi.jpg

It's like a good book. Babylon made its mark

Yee Haw!

:D

gogo

:P:drool::D

straight to rura penthe with you :D

At least B5 didn't re-write it's own history due to lack of script-writer skill. And they weren't all happy-clappy Americans are the best...

Good for you and stick with it the really cool things start from season 3 and in season 4 but dont jump to them at once because you will miss the story and it is a great one. :D

It is a great serise one of the best pre planed plots. Rich story, caracters and deep episodes.

I am not sure that you will like the CG ships and cheap masks they use Tim[I say cheap because they look cheap from point of view of 2007 not when the series was out dont kill me for it] but they were best of its time.

All in all a great SF series. I had the luck to watch it all at once. Got the series and watched all the episodes. :D

Aww cmon, if I can enjoy Star Trek: TOS and star wars..

How can the masks in this look cheap?

:P

~Doom

heh, I don't mind the masks all that much in this. The series is just so well written and extremely compelling. It's moment like these that the "masks" go invisible and the illusion is complete.

And Voila...good series!

:D

gogo

All in all a great SF series. I had the luck to watch it all at once. Got the series and watched all the episodes. :P

Aww cmon, if I can enjoy Star Trek: TOS and star wars..

How can the masks in this look cheap?

:drool:

~Doom

The fact that you are younger Tim made me write that. As you know many younger people dont like the old stuff because it looks to them funny and they just jump over it. Since you loved Star Trek:TOS then you are all set for this one and in the write state of mind and will have a great time watching it. As Gogo said the story will take you on so fast great caracter stories political wars between races and a lot of cool space battle and some of the most exotic ships and races ever made in the S.F. not only TV but movies as well.

As I said before you will have great fun with it.

P.S.: I would love to change places with you and watch it again for the first time. :D

I like what you said about the politics in the show Katran. I think that's what sunk it a little deeper into my throes of appreciation for it. It just didn't seem anywhere near as fluffy as I expected it to be.

:P

gogo

We are on the same page Gogo. That is one of the best things for me. I think there was no other before or after B5 show that took you to the very top of space races politics. What ever we so before was only orders given to crews of ships and them carrieng out here we so why what was happening and were it was leading and the DUNE aspect of it was perfect[you know plans within plans within plans].

My point of view: it was interesting and indulging. Really unorthodox resolution of conflicts at some point, but still it has a lot of "superpowers" and "myths" (in this case the older races).

I liked the series, but they had one level of ... how can I best phrase it.... "spiritualism" in them than I would appreciate.

ps: I lost half of my second semester freshman year watching it.

• 3 weeks later...

All I can say is WAYYYY COOOLLLL! :D

I watched most of Seasons 1,2&3 then missed out on the rest growing up. :viking:

But they replayed the whole thing on Sci Fi. It is spectacular, It's good to see younger Gen. picking up on outstanding series of Science Fiction. I plan to by all season on DVD soon and watch all the way through myself.

Enjoy. :viking:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FrostElfTwin

Babylon 5 was an amazing show.

Seasons 2, 3, and 4 (the WAR as we called it) we AWESOMELY EXCITING!! Like OMG Exciting!

Season 1 had to do a lot of backdrop, and Season 5 was an anti-climax done just to complete the 5 year arc.

That's the genius of this show: a 5 year arc story that runs through many episodes. If a story was arc, it was exciting.

If it wasn't arc, we were looking for the little details in the background that advanced the arc story.

There was a heck of a lot of astute writing in this series that taught the viewers to think. To see connections that exist they were unaware of.

Star Trek: Deep Space 9 was the Paramount "first strike" response to rejecting JMS's idea. (He went to the major studios first with his ideas).

I own a copy of seasons 2, 3 and 4.

THE BEST SCIENCE FICTION SHOW. EVER. So far.

B5 was/is my favourite sci fi of all time. I bought every episode as it came out on VHS. I still have the whole collection, including all the spin off movies. I still get pleasure rewatching it from time to time.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest FrostElfTwin

k.

Just watched the new B5 this weekend. "The Lost Tales". Enjoyed it a lot.

It is B5 on a budget. One episode with Tracy Scoggins (the 5th year station commander...now a colonel), Bruce Boxleitner (President Sheridan ) and the guy who played Galen the Techno Mage.

You also have a young Centari prince.

Excellent ep.

And there are a lot of JMS talks extras. Didn't know he was trained as a clinical psychologist.

One of the neat bits from the extras: About extras. At lunch, Narns would sit with Narns. Centauri with Centauri. Day after day, the same groups. JMS noticed this and did an experiment. He told the casting director to move a normal Narn extra into the Centauri extra group. At lunch, JMS observed the Narn sitting with the Centauri extras. It was an uncomfortable lunch for the Centauri and lone Narn. Next day, the Narn was sitting with the Narns. Priceless experiementation.

Another interesting snippet: JMS would learn about the cast members and then incorporate sometime about them in the show. Like Garibaldi's fear of confined areas. That way, (in my mind) the acting wasn't acting. It was real. Thus Delenn talking about peace and war...and she has the fire in her eyes of someone who's lived through a war. (I believe she's Croatian).

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales is out an Amazon.ca and I guess all the other Amazons on the 'net.

I watched it to yesterday it wasnt bad nut I have to say they are testing the ground with this one. It wasnt a hard core B5 movie[no aliens that need masks]. I think it is a test movie for the market to see how people will take it maybe for a new B5 TV Show or even a series but I am getting way ahead.

All in all nothing strong a very very light B5 story at list for me.