The New OC!

So I've been traversing the desert around Khorad Nur for some time now on various rune farming missions as opposed to the popular option of running the OC(Orc Cave) for drops. Things have gone pretty well for me in the desert as far as runes go and even uniques when using my Dwarf but now... Things have changed for the better. The one thing that was kinda bothering me was the travel time getting from one mob to the next. My general strategy has been to ignore single orcs and simply run straight from Orc mob to Orc mob using Far Sight as an aid to quickly find the mobs.

While running all over the place I thought it might be a nice idea to go underground and then come back into the desert basically using a cave to refresh/respawn the desert area I had been farming in for some time. When I came back up into the desert what should I find standing mere paces away from me was a convenient mob of Orcs. How nice I thought and was about to get back on my horse and gallop off into the next mob and then it hit me like a brick wall... "Go back in the cave!" Me rune farming sense were telling me. Why run to the Orc mobs if they will come to you? Why waste time with all that travelling? Try the cave again. And so I did. Another mob of Orcs at my feet. Another blast. Another rune! So I try it again. Enter the cave. Exit the cave. Poof! TWO mobs of Orcs! Another blast. Another rune! Alas I don't always get a mob but I would say 8 of 10 I do and the amount of time takes to go in the cave and back out is faaaaaaar less than the average time it takes to get from one mob to the next when traveling the desert.

Now the important part of all this is that with every Orc mob there is a boss sometimes more than one boss even and it's those treasured bosses that give us the wonderful drops we thirst for! I just found this 20 mins ago and I'm definitely going to try this with my high MF(Magic Find) Dwarf! I'm certain this will work with any cave in the desert where Orcs are so give it a try.

I'll be back with directions! :)

Edited in video on Monday, May 28th.

Back from the video store with a movie for you all. :)

that is not new to me, but I find it rather boring to keep on entering and exiting the cave. Also, when you enter the Orc Cave there can be orcs standing near the entrance/exit and it wouldn't harm killing those aswell, saves some time perhaps.

Nonetheless a good advise you made, and certainly worth trying, if youre bored of the orc cave or want to try it out. IMO it's about what you like best, sometimes the cave is getting on ym nerves so I go out and do some exorcism (killing undead).

Note that Schot's trick can be done at both entrances/Exits

nice one :)

Sylph (or, for schot, Jasper)

Brilliant Schot

The difference between this cave and all the others though is that this one has a 9 in ten chance of spawning an orc chief and in some cases more than one, everytime you jump in and out

An incredible Item and rune bonanza.

:tongue:

gogo

I think I misinterpreted something, Schot, did you kept on entering without killing the orcs near the entrance? so that you see a mob, go in and out again, then there is the older mob and a new one.. is this what you mean?

Sylph

Edit

yay, that was my 100th post ^^ :tongue:

hehe

You go in, get bitten by adders...then run out...

And right there usually is an orc chief gang, right by the entrance usually eight or nine times out of ten.

The fact that there is no windings or curves makes the killing that much easier if yer strong enough to one hit kill the mob.

It's the exit from the cave that is where the consistant spawns are not in the entry.

HOpe this helps!

gogo

I'm defiantely going to try this out in bronze (where it's even safer than in silver atm:P

I'll repost when I'm done.

Best hopes Schot!

Sylph

PS thanks for showing me the exit gogo xP

heh, no problem

Something to consider though.

Undead caves are better for speed levelling as their experience is higher.

This one, though, has an EXTREMELY high chance of spawning orchiefs...ergo higher rune and item drop

Have fun

gogo

There's an exit in OC? For all I know, you enter it and never ever come out until the server crashes on you. :)

Seriously y would you leave when the cave has endless supply of poor orcs? :D

I'm curious if anyone actually bothers to open the fences and deal with those spiders in the cave though. :ike:

apples and oranges heh

one is for items and rune hunting..that's schot's cave

And if you want to do the fastest levelling in the game that would be in undead caves.

Course schot's cave does offer decent levelling on top of the items and runes...but still not as good as with an undead cave.\

Try both kinds of caves and see what you like better.

:ike:

gogo

shun the un-believer...shu...hunnn...

Charlie...

oh, wait sorry...

Myles!

heh, give it a go man, you'll see what I mean.

I was at first hesitant cuz of my other levelling spots. But this place really is that good.

Remember it's the place we've found that is a very VERY high rate of bosses. Bosses have great drop rates for runes and items.

Give it a go and tell us whatcha think

:ike:

gogo

now.. tell me of that place so my light has something to attack asell instead of looking nice alone :ike: (m,eaning where the hell is that cave! I need my seraphim to niobium in three weeks or was it two...)

Sylph

The undead cave is SW from the orc cave, there is an experience statue inside too.

Edit: wait a minute, I just realize that I don't have it on my interesting places guide. :ike:

The Orc cave is nice enough but the problem I have with it is there just aren't enough Chieftains. That's really what it comes down to for me. I'm pretty sure it's a general understanding that bosses, (enemies with the thick red spiked circle around them), have a much higher chance of dropping good items than do normal enemies. In the Orc cave there is far too much time traveling around before finding the next chieftain. Of course I did it anyway because it seemed like the best option. Not only that but there aren't any Orc mobs in the Orc cave. They're all independent of eachother and I suspect the game calculates drops with mobs or independents in mind.

After much use of this cave I realize that I find it most useful for rune farming and possibley even for finding uniques. Though I didn't test this idea with a high MF character. Who knows.

Well enough talk from me. I'll let you guys watch and try it. :D

I've edited my first post to show a video that shows how I get to my favorite little cave and how I use it. Bear in mind that I'm using around 500 Far Sight to help me get around and spot the Orc mobs and also that I was not quite set up for optimum rune finding as I forgot to equip myself properly.

So give it a try and let me know what you think! :ike:

P.s.

I've run 3 tests using this method to rune farm each timed and limited to 60 minutes. The first gave me 140, second 128 and third 152. Not a bad days work me thinks. :) gogo ecstatically helped me count, haha.

EDIT! :D

I just saw your movie, that cave you were using in it was the undead cave right? and what amount of Farsight did you have? and I must say I'm impressed, going to try this out right now!

Sylph

PS

with right now I also mean right now, and you, schot, come on aswell asap, so you can show me that thing. and so I can add you to my empty buddy list:P (I have no friends *cry*)

this is for your service: :D

@ Sylph: Regarding whether this is the undead cave or not, if you look carefully at Schot's video you can see all the orc chiefs in it. The undead cave, on the other hand, most probably has a higher chance of effecting higher level gains, but commensurately lower levels of rune gains because there are fewer "bosses"

@DaveO: The unique properties of this specific area is the profileration of Bosses right close to the exit from which we make our egress. heh, I was looking at Scot's video and noticed that he won't even bother to go after the two or three more mobs that are maybe three seconds away when he can just blip back in and out and find another Boss that has spawned just one second away from the exit.

Spoiled Schot

:D

gogo

Okay, so I have been at the cave aswell (filled with adders and other bugs.. I hate bugs.. OS I killed them) but it worked for me very well.. if this speed goes on I might need new proto's :( and my defense is starting to flail away every now and then (I resocketed everything and came out with tóó much attack and a little but enough defense)...

So, the cave trick thing works good, but when there's someone else leeching your xP away it akes a long time (both players entering and exiting allt he time, I tried that aswell, was forced to >.<)

Sylph

PS

Will update on my seraphim tonight aswll ^^

@ Sylph: sometimes it is better to level alone, the best thing to do is ask if there is anybody there in Rim valley, orc cave, etc.

@ Daveo: There is another experience statue cave at the NW end of the orc desert, I just call it the Normad-Nur cave. It is a good one to level in too. This one I have in my interesting places guide.

@ Schot: It just hit me there, does your Long sight trick works in the ghost cave too? :( If so power leveling can be taken to another dimension.

@ Sylph: sometimes it is better to level alone, the best thing to do is ask if there is anybody there in Rim valley, orc cave, etc.

@ Schot: It just hit me there, does your Long sight trick works in the ghost cave too? :D If so power leveling can be taken to another dimension.

Rim Valley?

Ghost cave? wasn't it a cove, or forest? and you have to take me there... PM me

I can't play atm, so I will show you the direction with maps. :D

Ghost Cave is a power run of sort. You don't fight the enemy normally, instead you drag them along, pop a experience potion and wipe them all at once (since you have a seraphim, CL or Rbol would do the trick). So only two stops in the cave, middle and the end. You will level really fast, its also a good way to hunt for jewelries, since ghosts only drop those. You exit to the entrance of the cave, so you can just repeat it as much as you want.

Rim Valley is my favorite. There are always four to five Rim rider boss stationary there, they drop virtually anything possible in the game. But beware that they might be too dangerous to fight against when you are lv 40 and below. You reset the area by using the portal, portal to wherever you want, and back. Volia, more Rim riders. There are fewer of them per run, but trust me their drops are superior.

Ghost Cave

ghostcave.jpg

Rim Valley

rimvalley.jpg

W0oties, uh, now uh, how do I thank you ^^ how about I level towards your characters and than we go hunt ghosts together.

Also I just went to the cave (I looked it up somewhere else but didn't use that portal you showed) . I went with my dwarf, and I lured them all at once without stopping running a little back and forward with greed on but I didn't find any good jewelry :D I went through it three or four times and no thing more than blue stuff. maybe I went wrong somewhere...

anyho, meet you ingame someday

Sylph