The Veggie and good eating habits thread

Heh I'm vegetarian so any meat that isn't fish I won't even touch. I only eat fish because I have to or my diet would be lacking too many nutrients. I also really really don't like brussel sprouts. I tend to shy away from egg too....

Veggie by choice. In my family history there is heart disease/hypercholesterolemia so I figure I'd change diet before it was too late...

I have always wondered if anyone has statistics on vegetarians and meat eaters if there is a significant difference in cancers, heart troubles, diabetes etc. Would love to know

I don't actually know, but I'm pretty sure it lowers your cholesterol and chances for heart disease. Not sure about cancers though. Or diabetes, but I think that can be linked to genetics so regardless of how good your diet is you still may get diabetes...

Also, I tend to slip up.... wow this is off topic... but anyways just 2 days ago I had a whole dozen glazed donuts in one sitting. I don't think that helps my chances for diabetes.

To be somewhat on topic:

I also don't like collard greens... although it is a favorite where I am from.

heh, glad it went off topic :P. I've been interested in this subject for quite a while ^^ My parents made us eat a TON of vegetables, rices and grains. Yes we'd have meat at every meal, but it was always no more than about a quarter of the entire plate. Because of the lack of saturated fats in our diet, we just grew up very skinny lol. That and the slave labor my parents used me and my brother for :blush: Each of our meals would be comprised of a whole bunch of rice, a vegetable curry, a lentil curry and a small bit of meat. All the food groups there and saturated fats always under control. I don't think my parents knew much about food chemistry...but they did know just enough about greasy foods. That little trick seems to have borne fruit. Bottom line is...everyone just keeping an eye on the greasies is more than enough to keep baddies outta the blood stream. Cept in the case of genetic problems I guess, like my poor mom. :) She's inherited high blood pressure. She goes to the gym five days a week, is religious about it and watches every bit of sodium that enters. It makes me so sad. All that work and still...she's gotta work at it

:4rofl:

gogo

p.s. regarding results of one lifetstyle v.s. anotehr. Heh, being veggie can give you jsut as must greasies as a being non veggie. IN today's world of consumerism, they've made veggie diets just as unhealthy as a carnivorous diet. To stay ahead of the curve, you'll need a good bit of research, and really see all foods as they are. Its tuff work, but within a few weeks of a change to a high fibre, lower saturated fats diet, health improves, energy jumps up high and you you just feel shinier. :wub:

I said this in the SIF coffee thread. I believe in balance, its just healthy to eat a bit of everything edible.

There isn't any statistical advantage of vegetarianism (did I spell it right?), or disadvantage. As least no real research. You see all these books about this diet, that diet. Blah, I read some of them and its quite obvious that they lack any real prove.

So my thought is just do what's make you happy, but not too happy. :P

Well, I eat no meats even fish, which you do't actually need :P, provided you like egg....

I'm a veggie by background & choice, I was brought up a veggie but if I wanted to I would be allowed to eat meat.

I think being veggie is healthier, I do know it lowers cholestrol..

I absolutely loathe some veg though (like aubergines, sprouts, broccoli :sick: )

I have a friend who's a vegan, and dislikes more food than he likes (he chose to be vegan) :o

:P

~Doom

Actually the statistical evidence is there regarding saturated fats. Most of that comes from frying and animal products. Course you can have a some animal products and saturates in your diet, but animals are easy to over eat. It's much tougher to eat a whole extra cup of lentils and all it'll most likely do is promote regularity :P

Whereas with hamburgers...I've been tempted on more than one occassion to sneak back to the bbq and slap down another

:sick:

gogo

Yeah but you can avoid saturated fat, being a meat eater. It doesn't just come with meat, its more human made. Don't slap me, I know there are saturated fat in nature, but its up to us to process it or not. And we do sadly. :sick:

I think its an unfair argument, to say being a vegan lowering your cholesterol. Its the other way around, eating junk food RAISE your cholesterol level. Btw, we need cholesterol too. You will get a variety of cancers if you liver failed to produce cholesterol.

Anyway, I'm not against a veggie lifestyle, again do what's make you happy. Chicken Alfredo makes me happy, so I eat it. :P

heheh, yeah I hear ya...alfredo anything is just awesome :P I guess I was making a point that for peeps with family histories of heart disease, high blood pressure, cholesterol alerts, controlling your saturated fats is probably one of the most important things you can ever do and doing it with veggies is much easier to do with than with processed foods. It's so easy to find sat fats in almost everything...and so difficult to stay away from it. Pasta is lean...the sauce we put on it can jack up the sat fats. Lettuce is lean...but throw on a ton of that homemade blue cheese sauce and yer jousting with the sat fats knight :P

Controlling sat fats from veggies can be a lot easier to do if we've got a handle on where the debils are .

:sick:

gogo