More Newbie Questions

Hello folks.

First, once again, let me start by saying thanks to everyone on whose good nature I've presumed so far, with my ignorance. That said, I'm afraid there are a few more things about which I need to ask...hoping I've not yet used up my ration of goodwill.

First....What is "Split"? I've found a weapon that includes the special feature "Split +1", but....Are we talking about a dance-move so spectacular the bad guys are stunned, or what?

Second....How does one *use* a key? I've just gotten the quest that requires me to retrieve a scroll for an orc. OK, so far, that's fine. Found the ruins, made my way to the room with the scroll, but I can't get in. One problem, I *guess*...maybe...perhaps...sorta...might be that I've been carrying the key around for roughly ever. When the orcish Master of Ceremonies gives me the quest, he says something like, "Take this key." Now, I'm wondering whether my getting the key prematurely might have confused the program. Hmmm....Sounds unlikely, even to me, now that I think about it, but, still, I can't get the gate to open. What am I doing wrong, or not doing right? I've looked in the manual, but to no avail.

Third....An opinion question. I'm playing a gladiator, and my load-out of choice is a pair of axes. Am I best-off putting points into Weapon Lore, Axe Lore, or Dual Wield?

Thanks again, to all, for anything you can tell me. If nothing else, I guess I can hope to provide, in return, some fodder for laughter at the, um...unsmartness, let us say...of my questions.

Oh, one final thing (I promise)....My girlfriend, Janett, who is also a member here (calling herself Janetta - for reasons that elude me entirely) has asked me to as whether anybody has any hints on taking on Medusa. She's running a Seraph, at Level 47, and has ceased to exist at least once upon meeting the serpentine-tressed nuisance. On Janett's behalf, thanks again.

Hi.

1. Split+1 for example means that you got 1 % chance of splitting the enemy, meaning that you create a copy of him, spawning right next to you. This can be good for earning some extra experiance and items.

2. Sounds like a bug to me, this is Sacred, you better get used to them, hehe. Someone else might have a solution, don't think I've ever gotten any problem with this quest myself.

3. IMO, go for Weapon lore, 1-10 points into dual/axe lore is normally enough.

Take care.

Hey Sahyan!

Yep the scroll quest is definitely bugged.... actually a rather common bug and yet I also haven't come across it myself. But I get that question all the time and sadly I cannot give you a good answer. To the best of my knowledge no one has found a reason for why that quest gets bugged sometimes and doesn't on others. Therefore in the future you should save just before accepting it and attempt to do it right away... that way if the door won't open you can quit the game, go back to that save and try again without losing anything. Very sorry I couldn't give you a happier answer :D

Ahhh H'Runga'zz (medusa) can be a pain in the butt sometimes! Well her attack is mostly poison so first try to find armor that gives a good poison resistance. Now as for HER resistances she is pretty weak to fire and VERY weak to poison so if you can find items that boost those types of your damage that could help a great deal. She is MOST resistance to pure physical damage so stay away from that. Make sure to check the damage type on your weapon most of all. Strength of Faith would be a good spell to use to make your attack values higher and Rotating Blades of Light are always a good idea since they both protect you and damage the enemy. Lastly... Life Leech is always your friend when fighting any boss! It also works really great with RBoL!

Good luck! :)

Thanks to everyone who offered help with the problem of the scroll quest, You folks are great. But....I'm afraid I still don't understand how one uses a key on a door, when a quest is *not* bugged. I've just found the "secret" room in the Ascaron's Reputation tavern; I have a key, that I've been toting around forever, unsure that I would ever need it, but afraid *not* to have it with me, but I still can't get the gate to open for me. It sort of flashes a little when I click on it, but otherwise pretty much sneers at me. It seems unlikely that *this* quest is bugged too (though from some things I've read here, well...not impossible). So, what does one *do* with a key and a locked gate?

Oh, and I should acknowledge my appreciation, as well, for the help in choosing among Axe Lore, Weapon Lore and Dual Wield (and for helping my lovely annoy the Medusa critter). Thanks much, Night Wolfe and Moon Reaper, for that. And in return, if you guys ever have any questions about how to do something in the game...umm...better ask each other; I have't the least notion.

As far as I know, every door that needs a key just opens if you have the key with you. Nothing special. The cursor should become a hand if you are in the right place. Some doors are picky -- move the cursor around over and near the door until it changes.

As far as I know, every door that needs a key just opens if you have the key with you. Nothing special. The cursor should become a hand if you are in the right place. Some doors are picky -- move the cursor around over and near the door until it changes.

Thanks, gial, but I don't think that's what's going on. I've scrolled in and clicked everywhere on and around the door that showed the "hand" cusor; I'm pretty sure I wasn't clicking in the wrong place, because the gate *did* react - it flashed a little, like certain objects do when one puts the "hand" on `em. Actually, there are two gates in the tavern, leading to the same backroom, but neither will open for me. I'm wondering whether one has to have a *specific* key to open a *particular* gate - or at least a sufficiently high-level key...or some damned thing or other. <SIGH> Frustrating. But again, thanks; and again, I'm compelled to note what a good group of folks you guys are, here.

Joe Sahyan

Heya Joe :P

I'm afraid I can't help you with that pesky door problem but you have inspired me to play through an sp game full on questing etc!...I haven't done this since waaay back when after getting that HC addiction so my knowledge is pretty lacking. Night Wolfe has some wicked info and she seems to know the game inside out for sp but well now look what you have done! LOL...I'm really looking forward to discovering more of this game from an sp point of view so thanks to you and Jenetta :twitch:

Cheers

Claire :P

Yes you do have to have a specific key to open a door. If a key is needed than most often the quest giver will give it to you... lots of times the key just shows up in your "quest item log" although on occasion they can appear in your inventory. So if you didn't get a key for a specific door than you won't be able to open it. As for what to do WITH the key..... nothing... just having it will let the door automatically open as if it were any other door. So if you cannot open a locked door you either have a glitch or haven't talked to the right person to get the key. :P

This post is mostly for Carolyn Hacker, in reply to her kind offer. Actually, I did get past the problem with the unopenable gate in the tavern...sort of. See, what happened is, somebody *else* in the tavern opened the gate (probably the guy from whom I got the quest in the first place, I expect) and I just kind of piggy-backed on it, dashing in while the gate was open. But, that said, let me tell you how much I appreciate your offer. The folks on this forum have been uniformly terrific, and I'm grateful to all. Again, thanks.

Oh, and one other thing on the subject of keys. If, as has been suggested, one has to have a *particular* key for a particular door, then, what the heck is this thing I've been toting around - picked it up from a monster after his sad demise - that says just "key"....Level 1....Price 1"? I've been afraid to get rid of it, thinking I might need it for some door down the line, but....Well....Should I just dump it?

Joe Sahyan