The Ecological Thread

I start this thread because I simply love my child, and don't want to give him a dead planet as a legacy.

I wish every one of you post one thing he/she does and one idea that could help healing our world and follow this idea by taking it into action. That's a really little effort, and as always, if everybody does a little effort, thing will be better !

I start.

A thing I already make : I get my lazy bottom up to go switch my TV off, instead of using the stand by button on the remote !

An idea : I will use as many recycled products as I can, instead of plastic ones.

Your turn !

I don't believe in these fashionable green movements, not to burst anyone's hope but being realistic. We are so keen on the recycling concept that we skip out the bottom line sometimes.

Say plastic recycling, its a joke. Only about 1-5% of plastic can be recycled, and we use much more energy to recycle plastic than to create plastic. Bottom line is, choose something else wherever possible. Until the recycling method actually becomes environmental friendly.

Paper too is borderline. Many of them wasted much more resources than what saved, but still carrying the label and create this false hope. And cost more. Don't fall for these kind of traps.

I'm not trying to dismiss anybody good intention, I'm just tire of these political "green" movements.

My way is simple IMO, I don't use more than necessary. Of anything. :)

Main things I do:

_I use minimal water to do all my needs.

_I also use minimal electric. Using energy saving bulbs where ever I can. I leave with roommates so I can't get everywhere in the house but, all bulbs in my property been replaced already.

_I try to get everything I bought in a one paper bag in groceries. it is not always possible but I try my best. I don't put my gallon milk in separate plastic bag, etc.

Things I would like to do:

_kick some ... to teach people when they spend tons of resources when it is not necessary at all.

Energy saving bulbs

Recycle as much as possible with regard to paper, glass etc.

Not waste water and use the dishwasher only when it's full :)

I have kids are forever lecturing about recycling and waste....seems school is pretty hot on this as well as what they do as normal at home :)

I'm not saving the planet or anything but just doing what I've done for a long time :)

Ah great topic Nihilith!

I think the two things that stand out as far as what I do is that I've replaced all the bulbs in the apartment with CFL bulbs and when I buy my groceries I avoid using the plastic bags they give and use my backpack instead. :)

Just to mention this here, back in Bulgaria, during the communist and a little after that, the "resources" weren't abundant, and people tried to save as much possible water, electricity, heat, food, reuse a lot and recycle what can be recycled. The society just made you be much more efficient in saving money which generally coincided with saving the environment.

Now... I do that because I'm used to it and I am in some way environmentally conscious.

One ridiculous example to support my thoughts: in Bulgaria before everybody had a cloth bag and used it regularly. Now, it's all plastic. Beer: before everybody needed to return their glass bottles to buy new beer, now they just by beer in PVC bottles (yes, it tastes "FECAL MATTER!tier"). And it is ridiculous, because if you don't have a glass bottle, the beer you buy will cost you 3 times more than if you buy it in a PVC bottle. Bottom line is, I don't care how much it cost, it will be cheaper than here in US either way, but most Bulgarians will definite buy the cheap one, because they are used to saving money not conserving the environment.

Use water wisely (well its enforced with out water restrictions, but we have been under these restrictions for four years now, so its a habit)

Recycle all paper, glass, cardboard etc,

Use environmental bags for grocery shopping (they are made from recycled products or material so they are reusable for many years)

Lighting in the house is all energy efficient downlights

Did have a compost bin until I found a family of Redback Spiders living under the lid (so that was quickly disposed of)

and Worm Farm is on the agenda as a replacement to the compost bin, :4rofl: hopefully the worms will keep the spiders out.

Whilst on the subject of environmental issues, one lady who made a difference and passed away yesterday was Anita Roddick founder of the Body Shop.

She was well and truly before her time with her attitude towards recycling and showing us how to take responsibility for the use of the planet.

One fantastic person who will be remembered fondly.

1. Composting projects - did you know that hair can be used as plant food :D

2. energy wise - close the leaking tap. Do not use unecessarily electricity even though we use water power in quebec

3. Buy environmental friendly products - Did you know that cotton is one of the most devastative pollutant in the textile industry, if not the world?, recycled paper etc.

4. reuse some water - I use water to boil the broccoli, then reuse the water as broccoli tea!.....

4. reuse some water - I use water to boil the broccoli, then reuse the water as broccoli tea!.....

Thats an interesting concept, I can see the amount of iron goodies in the water but does it taste nice? I love broccoli and eat stems and all but usually steam it so not to lose any goodness.