The time has come. - Bring on the Penta-Buff

Back in the days of Plus and full servers there was a grand plan—an experiment that was thought up and planned. As far as I know, this never happened and most of the people behind it have faded into obscurity.

The experiment was the penta-buff and I think that we need to continue this to its completion, recording it for all to see.

The idea, for those who don’t know, is to take five toons. Four of them would create a combo of their four best buffs. The four toons would simultaneously cast their combos on the fifth player. The recipient would then do something like fight a dragon. At the very least, the player would take before and after shots of his stats for posting.

So what do you say? Who is up for this?

Edited by gogoblender

OMG :D

That was me! lol. So like, ummm. Yah! I sooooo want to see this happen! :blush: I'm calling the BM! Woot! hahaha. Sadly... The topic on the SIF is no longer. :( Definetely will want those before and after pics and for extra measure I'll be sure to vid record it. I've got a ton of stuff to do so I'll watch out for more news from you Sil. :)

We could do this during the Kamikaze if you want Sil. Great opportunity during that time to try this out as there are always people available. Maybe ask people to join in on the SIF as well.

Cool! :)

Oh oh! And you know what... Set bonuses of the buffers can be transmitted to the buff recipient through buffs. Well it works for Burning bone at any rate...

• 3 weeks later...

you may want to try this in open, since you could use my unskilled level 140 dwarf I once leveled a long time ago..

I don't have I-net @ home atm, so the sad part is - I wouldn't be able to join you myself.

but, after I read this, picked my own dwarf, equipped him with various set-items I found in one of my old saves, socketed about 15 dragon rings giving +17%experience each..

since I do have the german version, I'm quite lucky beeing able to use sacred vault's unofficial 2.29.13 patch :)

this way, I am able to run sacred on one PC simultaneously multiple times, since the patch adds multiinstancing along with quite a bunch of changes preventing sacred to crash all the time (you can even use it on closed net and join v2.28 players, it's fully compatible)

however, so I started a LAN session and joined it with the 140 unskilled dwarf as well as with some of my old 216 toons I played years ago:

a mage for stoneskin and shieldwall, sukkubus for infernal power, a seraphim for light+RBoL, and a gladi for DS+HC

boosting the dwarf this way, he can still kill almost every mob alone, when you cast penetrating arrows on him, he can even go against dragons etc..

long story short:

a team supported unskilled char is able to survive, kill and lvlup even in niob..

if you find a nice bunch of players who might be willingly to go for a few sessions quite frequently, it would be also possible maxing out unskilled ones up to 216..

I once tried to find people for this kind of project (long time ago, on the german forum and before 2.29.13 ;) )

unfortunately I never found enough players mad enough for this...

some people also may fear just supporting a single player without killing monsters yourself might be boring..

but imho, it's quite funny, if you have 1-2 auras @ low regen to support the unskilled one, you have still plenty of time running around and kill enemies yourself... you can also rotate the order of chars people play with , so everybody get his hands on the unskilled char in the end..

it really would be damn cool if a group of sacred freaks would manage to max out one char this way, and if someone would take a few video clips of the gameplay every now and then.. might be funny too? who knows..

Greetings RL

I must say, again ;), that I'm very eager to see tha Penta-Buff happen. :) I would have absolutely no problem being a constant support character as I enjoy seeing the results very much. :(

I really want to see this happen. Since reading Schots router guide I can go to open with no problems. The original idea, if I recall, was for each toon to provide 4 buffs....but as we know this is not possible for all of the toons.

Now, did you just say that a WE can cast PA on another toon it is usable? Are you saying the the dwarf's bullets are acting like the PA arrows?

Now, did you just say that a WE can cast PA on another toon it is usable?

that's exactly what I said :)

a WE can cast PA on all other toons, not only enemy monsters but also teammembers, hirelings, smiths, merchants...

just use the 'ctrl+r-click' method for 'aimed-attack/shot' to cast the PA 'buff' onto teammates, NPC's...

once you shot PA at friendly characters, they get targeted by the arrows like any enemy monster would be.. but since friendly players and NPC's can't die by the attack of any other human player, the arrows just keep swirling around and stick to you while moving, killing everything else crossing the arrows paths in the process.

Edited by Rotluchs
Now, did you just say that a WE can cast PA on another toon it is usable?

once you shot PA at friendly characters, they get targeted by the arrows like any enemy monster would be.. but since friendly players and NPC's can't die by the attack of any other human player, the arrows just keep swirling around and stick to you while moving, killing everything else crossing the arrows paths in the process.

Does that mean the arrows don't disappear until the duration of PA runs out? Or is it similar to the way it works when you attack monsters normally -- when you click on a certain guy most of the time they last until that guy dies but occasionally they will disappear after attacking another baddie because they are too far away from their original target?

that's exactly what I said :)

a WE can cast PA on all other toons, not only enemy monsters but also teammembers, hirelings, smiths, merchants...

just use the 'ctrl+r-click' method for 'aimed-attack/shot' to cast the PA 'buff' onto teammates, NPC's...

Unreal! But so cool.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me, I noticed that a glad can cast Awe on another toon.

Man, imagine the lag fest if we could get an army of WE's to cast PA on a single toon.

Okay, I am getting excited. It's time for volunteers to step forward.

I'm thinking that a random toon should receive. Stone Skin, Flame Skin, COA, Whirl Wind--Adren, Pak Dain, Pak Nakor, Test?--Heroic Courage, Dagger Stare, Strength of Faith--Penetrating Arrow? Quick as a flash--War Cry, Dwarven Armor and Dwarven steel. Let's start by discussing my list. What do you think?

At the very least, IMO, we need Stone Skin, Flame Skin, Whirl Wind, Heroic Courage,War Cry, Dwarven Armor and Dwarven Steel. If done in plat, I can provide the Glad buffs or the Dwarf buffs. If we export to open, I can do both.

I may export both my plat dwarf and glad and experiment with the buffs.

I'm pretty sure you cannot cast Adren or Testy on another character. Pak-Dain and Pak-Nakor can be, but that's it. I think we also need to get seraphim's buffs too - RBoL, SoF, Light --- Daemon can cast any of her forms on another character, I'm not sure if she can cast call of death or IP on others though. I don't have a seraphim, but if need be I can get a daemon to plat in a matter of an hour or two.....

How about we start a list by character type of the buffs that can be casted on other characters? I'll start it, but you guys will have to help fill it in...

BM

Stoneskin

Flameskin

Water Form

GM

Reiki

Shield Wall

WE

Pen. Arrow

QAAF

Daemon

Battle Daemon

Poison

Energy

Fire

Infernal power

? call of death

Gladiator

HC

Dagger stare

seraphim

RBoL

SoF

Light

Dwarf

Dwarven Steel

War Cry

Dwarven Armor

? entrench

DE

Pak-Dain

Pak-Nakor

? testy

? addy

Vampiress

? bats

I'll edid this post with a full list of castable buffs all chars have - once I'm @ home again, and only if I'm not too late, you guys are really busy&fast here as well :cow_white:

all I can say is, the essential ones for the unskilled dwarf I once leveled have been:

Infernal Power (daem.)

>> enables the receiver to kill enemys with l-click standard weapon attack pretty fast

>> booster: ''the one ring'' (uni) for higher fire-base dmg given by IP and this seraphim-unique ring that boosts the spell level+decr. regen

Shield Wall (mage)

>> for elemental res, it gives resistances to all 4 elemental types even though there are only 3 listed in it's tooltip ;)

Stone Skin (mage)

>> I picked it for it's huge bonus to poison res and a moderate def bonus, it came in handy since I leveld the dwarf in the undead-cave near mascarell..

Light (seraphim)

>> a level 400 Light buff? pretty helpful.. (boosted with those seraphim-unique rings, they give +magic dmg, +spell level, +regen ...)

RBoL (seraphim)

>> same as for light, the seraphim unique ring is also one of the best ways to boost this spell...

that's it already, however you may want to have one of these chars twice to team up with:

chars like the mage who have more than one really useful aura, might get problems with the regen of their spells if boosted pretty high.. with chars out of the same class you can prevent a possible shortage..

especialy 2 sukkubi are necessary in order to provide IP in all situations -

there is a cast-timeout bug, it affects casting IP on teammebers:

it's like this - you cast IP to another char which is running around with IP for lets say 60 seconds: then, the aura ends.

but even if the daemons IP spell is already recharged, you can't cast it again to the same char, you have to wait for another 30-60 seconds before you can cast it to the same char again, if you experience lag in MP maybe even longer

afaik, with a second daemoness you can bypass this strange 'cast-block', if they then support chars with IP in turn...

Edited by Rotluchs

I've had DS cast on my WE, and Silearth was experimenting with it on a bunch of NPC's last summer. He had the sheep from Bellevue and the cows from Florentina all buffed up, plus Jonas - the lost boy in the cave in Bellevue, too.

Edited by gial