Sacred Wiki dates

I've noticed all the dates for the news on the wiki are in different formats and decided they should all be in the same format. However I couldn't decide on which one to use.

The international standard is that of yyyy-mm-dd (ex: 2007-11-05) however that can be confusing to some.

Alternatives to this would be

yyyy month dd (2007 November 05) which is a variation of the first and is used by east asian countries mostly, along with the international standard.

month dd, yyyy (November 05, 2007) which is used by very few countries, yet it's used by the USA.

dd month yyyy (05 November 2007 -or- 5th of November 2007) used by almost all of Europe, Latin America and africa as well as parts of Asia.

So opinions on which one should we used are welcome.

I would go for dd month yyyy, but that's probably because I'm used to it that way. As such yyyy month dd might be a better alternative to please everyone. However I am totally against month dd, yyyy since it's the only one that doesn't follow a logical pattern (from big to small or from small to big).

I would have to agree Schot, I know when I read a date that is USA based I am completely confused if the day and month are under 12, for example something that is 05/06/07 to me would be the 5th June, 2007 but in USA it would be 6th May, 2007. So Alpha Numeric would be my vote, but because I am used to it in its logical term day month year so 05 NOV 2007

Edited by Funkilicious

Not sure if extracts and ability to sort are important, but if so it should be "2007-11-06" to maintain chronological sorting. If these are dates stored in a db, then I would assume browser formatting would take precedence and those dates would appear in the users' locale -- a potentially different, but equivalent, representation for each user.

I guess I can read any format so would prefer the format otherwise most useful.

Hey guys

Most important thing to me regarding this is

-ease and speed of read

-utility in having dates make "sense" from the easiest way possible

Well, I've done a good bit of checking on other sites...and so far the predominant way of displaying dates on wiki's and forums when choosing to go alphanumerically is the name of the month first with date and year.

Because names of months are especially good looking and read extremely fast (much faster than just numerically) the standard way of displaying this is like our forum, and on the sif's, guild wiki's and other very comprehensive wikis.

Since we're looking to create the fastest, easiest and comfortable read possible, the Name of the month is important, and once we do use the actual name, I think that using the standard as set by this forum's software and that of the other sites we deal with creates an easy read for the viewers without having to show and/or teach them something new...more work for the mod team :blush:

:drool:

gogo