*SHUDDERS* snow suits .... ever try wrangling a toddler into one? The only easy way is when they are comatose and only in that they arent trying to "help" you or trying to get out of it...

snow can be slippery even with the right tires and experience. if its bitterly cold and the snow gets "crunchy" it doesnt compact, it slides over its self leaving you with no traction.

I paid $1000 for Blizzak snow tires a while ago. What a difference! On Ice, I have waaaaay more traction.

These kind of tires can't be used for 0C (32F) conditions...it has to be *brrrr* colder for them to not just wear away.

On ice, I have control. I only have to worry about the other drivers ability to stop (and not rear-end me) when they think THEY can stop as easily as me.

You're right about some snow conditions being bad for even these tires. If you have loose dry snow on top of polished ice... nobody has traction!

What gets me is this: people don't understand something simple. If you are on ice (say, at a stop sign) and you try to accelerate, and you're not accelerating... DON'T put more gas in!! You'll only polish ice and make things worse for anyone (including you if you come back this way again) who follows you. We have to accept slow acceleration on ice... then we don't make things worse!!

And to our U.S. friends, we don't like to export Arctic air (that's where the really cold stuff comes from...not us, honest!!)--cause we get it too when that happens!

10 years ago we had an Arctic High Pressure Air Mass stall over us. The temp for the WHOLE of December never went above -30C (-22F). The lows were -35C (ish) (-31 F ish). A whole MONTH. I'm glad we don't have that this year!

Though we've already had a week of that weather (that normally only hits us in January) this winter.

Cheery (?) thought: Snow for Christmas! :)

snow can be slippery even with the right tires and experience. if its bitterly cold and the snow gets "crunchy" it doesnt compact, it slides over its self leaving you with no traction.

I paid $1000 for Blizzak snow tires a while ago. What a difference! On Ice, I have waaaaay more traction.

These kind of tires can't be used for 0C (32F) conditions...it has to be *brrrr* colder for them to not just wear away.

On ice, I have control. I only have to worry about the other drivers ability to stop (and not rear-end me) when they think THEY can stop as easily as me.

something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ_abQ9rPHs :drunkards: it's funny to see when people are trying to go somewhere on snow whitout proper tires and no skill of driving on snow/ice. (like the first guy proves on the video..)

Okay who is sitting on the easy button that makes snow? As I watch and defrost from diring into to work AGAIN this week through snow (4 storms in 2-3 weeks) with more forecasted for tommorrow and sunday I'd like to have a word with you....

lately I think the weatherman has been speaking in code :

dusting = 3 inches

coating = 6 inches

heaven help us if he predicts anything "substantial" for one of these storms.... I might not see bare ground for months !

I'd like a hot cocoa with a little something in it (kalua or godiva or baileys sounds great)

Edited by Genenut

:drunkards: @ Easy Button!!

Exactly!

haha well on the way to the bus stop this morning I brought my camera and grabbed a few pics. I have to go shovel the bloody stuff again soon but for a moment it looked pritty.

Picture005.jpgPicture004.jpg

Picture003.jpgPicture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Our radio announcers keep talking about snow --and bad conditions on the highways outside town...

and I keep listening to them... and keep getting up early... and keep finding NO SNOW to shovel...

Then the day there was a lot of snow I had just kinda got used to getting up early...so 20 minutes of shoveling was no problem.

Today they talked about patches of highway where there suddenly is NO ROAD.

And... like magic. No snow to shovel for me!! Go figure!

I can ship you SEVERAL inches of the awful stuff if you are feeling truly left out Frosty... I have PLENTY to spare, including several inches I couldnt reach on the roof of my car which has yet to blow off.

Ari - I see your son was "ever so happy" they didnt delay or close school this am... :) my son was equally "happy" about that too

They didnt plow the road to my younger son's daycare... 4 inches of slippery stuff on the road with just enough sand mixed in so it wouldnt compact and provide traction... straight level road that I couldnt drive faster than 15 on it if I wanted to drive as straight as the road goes... *sigh*