Made my very first cheese cake

erialc

Well I have never made one before but if I am going to eat anything sweet it woukld be a Baileys Choci cheese cake! Erm I finished he baileys the other night so I decided to use Cointreau mmmmm....I only ever use that for deserts, ie crepe suzette as the kids llove watching it go up in flames.

I didn't have a recipe for the cheese cake so it's a bit of a wing it type....if it turns out ok later from the fridge I'll try to remember to take a piccy...

Hob Nob buscuits crushed and mixed with unsalted butter for the base

Whipped up Mascarpone cheese (1 large tub) with icing sugar and a very large double shot of cointreau. Melted a bar of Green n Blacks bitter dark choci and a bar of white choci....whisked it all together and got a rather mousse like stuff and scooped it all over the buscuit. Lobbed it in the fridge where it's still setting, do you think it will set at all as I just called a mate and she said she uses gelatine in hers. :D ahhh well could just be a funny mousse eh?

Do you have any tips if I decide to try this again?

Here in the states we tend to use cream cheese to make cheesecake. Do you have acccess to that over there (sorry never been to england have no idea what you normally see on your store shelves)? The cream cheese method doesnt need gelatin but you do have to cook it in the oven.

From the sounds of it as mousse like sounds like a cream pie and those are good too ;-)

Claire, great going starting from scratch, but I think you need a setting agent so I would have added eggs here is a basic receipe but you can get some idea from it

[edit] ooohhh didn't see the baileys cheesecake on that linky until now

Edited by Funkilicious

I'm sure you would make it just fine.

I only tried making one with egg and setting agent myself, more fluffy that way. But surely your method sounds ok, it will be purely cheesy in taste. :D

:) I didn't take the pic as it went onto plates pretty fast but it did turn a lot better than I feared and it set! :Just_Cuz_12: for me it was on the sweet side and a bit heavy maybe I used too much choci but you did get that lovely tang of the cointreau but everyone else loved it hehe....that I was happy about having winged it with no back up desert. ( I am sooo going to experiment with this more though!)

Thanks for the recipe Funki and the tips from you and Moms....I'll need them, I am doing an early xmas day dinner on saturday and I am already trying to work out what to make. It'll be me, kids and a couple or 3 mates as we always get too busy to actually see each other at xmas what with family n stuff so we thought we'd have an early one here.

:drunkards: gogo care package in the post :Just_Cuz_12:

:) I didn't take the pic as it went onto plates pretty fast but it did turn a lot better than I feared and it set! ;) for me it was on the sweet side and a bit heavy maybe I used too much choci but you did get that lovely tang of the cointreau but everyone else loved it hehe....that I was happy about having winged it with no back up desert. ( I am sooo going to experiment with this more though!)

Thanks for the recipe Funki and the tips from you and Moms....I'll need them, I am doing an early xmas day dinner on saturday and I am already trying to work out what to make. It'll be me, kids and a couple or 3 mates as we always get too busy to actually see each other at xmas what with family n stuff so we thought we'd have an early one here.

:4rofl: gogo care package in the post ;)

Can't wait to see what you come up with, I am still trying to work out what to have on the 25th, got some parts but trying to fill in the blanks, hopefully you can give me some ideas.

Oh wow. You winged this Claire? I wouldn't have the faintest clue myself, haha. Very nice! If ever there was an effective bribe against me it would certainly be cheescake. Mmmmmm!! :4rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Cheesecakes are my favorite thing ever. I have never sucessfully made one but my sister makes them all the time But hers doesnt call for cream cheese. She also uses a spring form pan and has to cook it but its wonderful! The only thing I sucessfully make is jello cheesecake in a box.