RealPlayer = Badware

bhj

RealPlayer got the Badware tag (I didnt think anyone was still using that cr..) :hugs:

Naturally RealNetworks dont agree with RealPlayer getting this tag but facts are facts

We find that RealPlayer 10.5 is badware because it fails to accurately and completely disclose the fact that it installs advertising software on the user's computer. We additionally find that RealPlayer 11 is badware because it does not disclose the fact that it installs Rhapsody Player Engine software, and fails to remove this software when RealPlayer is uninstalled.

We currently recommend that users do not install the versions of RealPlayer software that we tested, unless the user is comfortable with the software behaviors we identify or until the application is updated to be consistent with the recommendations contained in this report.

RealPlayer 11 is currently promoted by RealNetworks at www.real.com.

RealPlayer 10.5 is distributed through channels such as Mozilla Firefox's 'Missing Plug-in' feature and the BBC Radio website.

You see the full press release here

So what program to use instead of RealPlayer ?

That part is easy download VideoLAN´s VLC media player :P

ico-win.png ico-osx-uni.png

realplayer is the devil. its like musicmatch jukebox in terms of playability of different filetypes and it gives your computer virtual STDs... I had a computer that came with realplayer, and I always took good care of it... and consistently got ads popping up and crap when it turned on. I'm glad people have seen the light and tagged this evildemon of a program.

-Total

I always wait for the review before I dl anything, and its right once again. :devil:

Realplayer isn't worth it anyway. VLC is good, I use GOM player also. GOM is free and it plays almost everthing.

Yes! Down with the evil Real Player. I'm very happy that Real Player got a review like this. RP has gotten away with their dirty scamming tricks for far too long. Hopefully this will prove to be deterrent for other software producers.

Using VLC here. :devil:

Real player...boo

VLC... B E S T

lol, Crunchie was the one who got me onto it, Myles I'd never heard of GOM before, I'll look it up now and see if I can check it out.

TY for the heads up and BHJ, great thread for telling the world about the RealPlayer evols

:devil:

gogo

Yup, some software developers are evil. But, I also sympathize a bit. Folks gotta eat. Folks gotta feed and clothe their kids. Revenue stream has to exist somehow. Just some choices are better than others...