MF's side benefit

I'm sure a lot of you know this but I never realized until now what a godsend the other benefit from forging MF really did for a new toon. I'm talking about "% to all resistances"

My original intention was to make a new greedy dwarf. I didn't have a lot of spare runes so at level 1 I went and shopped for max socket gear. Brought in my 'almost' max Forging Dwarf and put MF in all the sockets. Didn't get any life leech as I hoped I'd find some decent set pieces as I did quests. Was hoping MF would pick up the slack till I could level up Greed.

Next thing I know I'm in the Khorad Desert fighting Orc mobs at level 12. I'm barely getting touched by any of them. In fact I went to level 15 before quitting for the night and never drank one pot. And this with level 1 gear and a level 1 Mortar Grenade. I'm usually employing the 'hit and run' technique all the way to the Khorad portal at that level. But here I was just standing there in the middle of the mobs and not losing more than 1/4 of my health. The Orc Chiefs never hit for more than 35 HP of damage. Btw my % to all resistances was at +578% :bow:

So from now on I know how all my new toons are starting off. For any weak toons like a new BM, this just upped their survival rate dramatically. If you have a favorite class that's fragile in the early going...give it a try I think you'll be happily surprised how rugged they become

Edited by Knuckles

Oh I know I could increase Def quite a bit. But my only thought was to boost MF and didn't pay attention to anything else. Usually don't use greed or MF so when I was wandering in the desert it just surprised me how rugged I was.

So very true! I've only had my level 60 max forger for a little while but after doing a lot of forging over time it really looks like there is absolutely nothing better that you could put in your sockets than a Dwarf's max forge. My feeling is that from 1-60 Max forge is pretty well the best you can do in sockets.

I had tried something similar with my A journey into... Greed! and was completely floored by how easy it was. My biggest concern in that topic was that I was going to be using max Greed which would suffer me a huge hit to my Defense. Seems Ascaron pulled off a very smart balancing act though. Forged MF practically nullifies the Defense reduction from Greed. After realizing what a great job MF was doing for my resists I decided not to use WarCry and instead used Dwarven Armor to boost my resists even further. Seemed to work out nicely. At the moment my little greedy dude is parked at level 39. Might be time to take him out for a stroll soon and see how he is managing the hits. :P

Very good point about the side benefit of MF. I think there may be a number of people who don't realize just how good a Dwarf's max forge can be. Very good tip! :)