Baking Soda on Beef

Is this true?

A friend of mine yesterday at work who knows a bit about cooking says that if you want to duplicate the delicious soft, melt in your mouth consistency of chinese restaurant beef... add baking powder to the outside of beef for thirty seconds to one minute after which the beef becomes very tender.

Anyone tried this or know anything about this?

:unsure:

gogo

I haven't heard that, but it may be a off shoot of this. Take your beef coat it lightly in flour SEAR it on high heat in a frying pan, then cook it which ever way your were intending on cooking it in the first place. Out side is seard and moisture is kept inside. Just remember to let it "rest" about 5 minutes before serving so the juices flow back into the meat d030.gif

My sister-in-law's husband(Would he be my brother-in-law-in-law?) cooked some pork, but coated it with baking soda before hand. This caused quite a stir in their house as everyone knew baking soda as a cleaner and odor remover.

For them it was as if he had cooked the pork with Comet or Bon Ami.

I will have to try the baking powder--and the flour.

Some Chinese recipes call for meat to be soaked in a baking powder mix as it tenderizers the meat prior to stir frying, but if meat needs that much tenderizing then its the wrong meat for me...normally use fillet steak for beef

Edited by Funkilicious

wow...I'm really surprised here...I would never have guessed that baking powder is a kind of meat tenderizer. I always sort of knew acids like vinegar, wine and salad dressings...but baking powder?

Good to know...and cheap.

The problem with all those other "tenderizers" is that they're pretty expensive... Baking soda sounds like just what the doctor ordered

:)

gogo

....... What's the big fuss about? Good god it happens everyday here man, and no its definitely not secret. :)

It does soften the meat up, however it also destroy the protein of the meat somewhat. So like all method, moderation is best. :)

@Funk You are on the right track, it was a method to keep the meat from spoiling and also for some tough meat recipe. So I agree that if you have fresh meat, go with the freshness. Unless you are making dumpling of course, it just needs the preparation for it to be anywhere good.

Get your facts straight gogo...lol :)

Just a friendly note, your logic is kinda flawed :) in regards to the timeline

Baking powder was invented in late 19th century by the British when they found out how chemical components work and bla bla bla and it partly consists of corn starch (which is moslty used in many chinese restos, well the ones I used to work in anyways, and corn starch is used by family...so I guess it is a common knowledge)

Therefore. ancient chinese secret ? no it is not. since it is a common chinese knowledge

taste and consistency with baking powder ? 50/50

corn starch !! Definitely :lol:

Edited by OuttaTown
Velveting I have heard of Velveting meat with Corn Flour, a thickening agent. In a few of ken Hom's books he uses this method but I am pretty sure it is corn flour and not baking powder he uses. Gives you a lovely silky feel to the meat and helps thicken up sauces. Are these two different methods or for different outcomes? hehe maybe I should just finish my coffee before trying to think. Edited by erialc

Baking Soda Can Do What?

11 Household Tips Using Baking Soda

Freshen your garbage disposal. The baking soda in your refrigerator has worked for months getting rid of food odors. And it’s not done yet. When it’s time for a new box, pour the old baking soda down the drain. It will clean and deodorize your garbage disposal.

Curb car odors. Next time you clean the inside of your car, clean more than meets the eye. Sprinkle some baking soda on the seats and carpet before you vacuum. You’ll suck out the smell of cigarette smoke and other odors that have seeped into the upholstery.

Poultices from your pantry. Feeling the sting of an angry bee? For instant relief, mash some fresh papaya and apply it to the site of the sting. If you don’t have any papaya handy, a paste of meat tenderizer and water will offer similar relief. If you don’t have any meat tenderizer either, it’s probably a good bet you do have baking soda. A paste of baking soda and water will also have soothe stings. All of the above will reduce swelling and relieve pain and itching.

Ease acid indigestion. Baking soda helps neutralize stomach acid, which can cause indigestion and heartburn. For quick relief, drink a half glass of water mixed with a half teaspoon of baking soda.

Countertop stains. It’s easy to banish coffee and tea stains from your countertops. All it takes is a good rubbing with baking soda and water made into a paste.

Plaster in a jiff. A few small cracks in the ceiling don’t have to mean a whole new plaster job. Just mix a little white glue with baking soda, and use the paste to cover the small cracks. If the ceiling isn’t white, use food coloring to match the color of the plaster.

Attack water marks. When water damage leaves white spots on your furniture, try this simple solution before calling in the big guns. Mix equal amounts of toothpaste and baking soda to form a mildly abrasive paste. Dampen a cotton cloth with water and rub the paste into spots. Now buff the area with soft, dry cloth. If the damage is not too serious, this should restore your furniture.

Rid your dig of roaches. Control roaches by scattering a mixture of equal parts baking soda and powdered sugar in the infested area. (The sugar attracts them; the soda kills them.)

Easy way to clean your pet’s bed. Simply sprinkle baking soda on the bed, leave it for at least an hour, and then shake it off. Your pet’s bed will be fresh as new.

Sweeten up sour sponges. When your kitchen sponge gets that yucky, stale, smell, you know it’s full of germs and bacteria. Soak it in a mixture of two tablespoons of baking soda and one pint of water.

You can use baking soda as a meat tenderizer. Two different ways to do this: 1) Sprinkle baking soda all over the meat, rub it in a bit and then let sit (refrigerated) for several hours. 2) You could also make a baking soda/water paste and slather it over the meat. Let it marinate for several hours.

....... What's the big fuss about? Good god it happens everyday here man, and no its definitely not secret. :woot:

Ah lot ( in cooking and else where) happens where you are *lol* I sometimes wonder what it was I have eaten in "restaurants " in Hong Kong

me too :wow:...but as long as it is healthier than what most american eat :crazy: ...according to WIN statistics and many others, 2/3 of american people are obese. Who knows what else they are eating :thumbsup:

Edited by OuttaTown

Depends on how thick it is, and what kind of dish you are going for. :thumbsup: Ok I'm not very helpful am I? :wow:

Just a little should do (but really it depends), if you are going for a semi-oriental then add a combination soy sauce, salt, pepper, and the baking powder (I just use corn starch normally).

A few minute would do, unless it has tendon or is really thick. If you do steak hammer them first. :crazy:

heh, guess what I went out and just picked up

:4rofl:

Question...anyone know how long I have let sit the baking powder on the beef for?

:)

gogo

1) Sprinkle baking soda all over the meat, rub it in a bit and then let sit (refrigerated) for several hours. 2) You could also make a baking soda/water paste and slather it over the meat. Let it marinate for several hours.

• 3 weeks later...
I've got a choice of hammers... :sweating:

What would happen if I left the baking powder on for too long...

Would it dissolve the meat?

gogo

It would just taste awful.

The color of the meat would change a bit, if it becomes say purple :lol: then you know something is wrong.

The reason why I'm so into this today is cuz I went to a quickchop noodleshop and the beef was SO tender..it practically melted in my mouth and I want to replicate that softness. Course there was so much sauce on it I'm not sure what color it was.

Heck, I'm not even sure if it was beef

:sweating:

gogo

The reason why I'm so into this today is cuz I went to a quickchop noodleshop and the beef was SO tender..it practically melted in my mouth and I want to replicate that softness. Course there was so much sauce on it I'm not sure what color it was.

Heck, I'm not even sure if it was beef

:sweating:

gogo

Then Funk is right on the money, that's how restaurants do it. Prepare a load of it and fridge it.