Poison Lord Boss not taking any damage - weirdness!

For some reason, Poison Lord takes absolutely no damage from my main weapon:

pl.jpg.c408ca182ad76e92d2170d100056e0c5.jpg

Can someone explain why that is? If I swap to any other weapon, he takes damage normally. Tried a 2 handed sword, shuriken, 1 handed sword and hafted, all work fine. What's the problem here?

plstat.jpg.b6f1df7d41f9a689399d32782c2123c4.jpg

Does he have a hidden immunity to fire or something? The attacks from the Impaler of Heroes hit him, as they proc regen per hit, but deal absolutely no damage. It's no big deal, I can just swap weapons, but was wondering why this is happening.

interesting weapon

are you running a left-click build?

Im curious to know when someone comes up with answer

good mystery

This is only enemy in game who takes zero damage from your weap?

Is your weapon at least hitting him?

what kind of special abilities does poison lord have... any chance he's mitigating?

:)

gogo

Sometimes repositioning helps. A hidden obstacle could be between you and the target. Polearms suffer more often from it tnan one-handed because of their extended range. But if it is just this one polearm, don't know.

• Like! 1

I think I know a little bit about that specific weapon… I remember running a left click build with my shadow warrior of course alchemy  is the mainstay of the build because you need a way to multiply all the damage and or negative buff all enemies… It’s just that the animations were boring over and over again hitting it bang bang bang… I remember doing a very thorough look for powerful weapons though  and I think that Op s weapon was the best that I found

Haven't really tried a different polearm, but this is the only enemy I've encountered so far that has this problem. Doesn't matter what I do, it won't do damage to him. The weapon is 100% hitting, because it triggers regen per hit, but deals 0 damage (no number yellow number shows up at all). It's not a left-click build. Both left-clicks and CAs do no damage.

Impaler of Heroes is indeed probably the best Polearm in the game. The Direct Damage alone elevates it above any other alternative. It also has high base damage and 2 slots. The only other Polearm that has higher base damage is Ronthron's Legacy, but it lacks the Direct Damage.

I'll try a different polearm later, to see if it's all polearms, or just the Impaler.

EDIT:

It's all Polearms. Tried two other uniques and a rare one and none of them did any damage to him, but any life leech/regen per hit is still triggered. Now I'm wondering what's so special about Poison Lord that makes it happen.

Edited by idbeholdME
4 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Haven't really tried a different polearm, but this is the only enemy I've encountered so far that has this problem. Doesn't matter what I do, it won't do damage to him. The weapon is 100% hitting, because it triggers regen per hit, but deals 0 damage (no number yellow number shows up at all). It's not a left-click build. Both left-clicks and CAs do no damage.

Impaler of Heroes is indeed probably the best Polearm in the game. The Direct Damage alone elevates it above any other alternative. It also has high base damage and 2 slots. The only other Polearm that has higher base damage is Ronthron's Legacy, but it lacks the Direct Damage.

I'll try a different polearm later, to see if it's all polearms, or just the Impaler.

EDIT:

It's all Polearms. Tried two other uniques and a rare one and none of them did any damage to him, but any life leech/regen per hit is still triggered. Now I'm wondering what's so special about Poison Lord that makes it happen.

Are you able to find any weapon that can cause damage?

does poison lord cause any kind of lagging extra?

btw i hated that enemy .. nothing more scaary than hearing him come whoosing over the hills and then the screen going read after he redlines you ...

gogo

21 hours ago, gogoblender said:

btw I hated that enemy .. nothing more scaary than hearing him come whoosing over the hills and then the screen going read after he redlines you ...

Yes, all other weapons hit him normally. Only Polearms fail to deal damage. No lagging at all.

I once made the mistake of going after him with Agent Aurora at my side. Let's just say that the quest for the amulet came to a sudden end :P.

• Haha 1

I've seen this bug before.  I did not link it to Pole Arms, in fact I'm sure I've never fought the Poison Lord with a Pole Arm-wielding character. I did note at the time that melee weapons would not hurt him, only spells.  But a reload of the game fixed it.

I have also seen this bug on other bosses, randomly, and very rarely.

Thoughts on a solution: I have absolutely no idea, totally baffled every time I see the bug.  :dntknw:

• Thanks! 1
  • The title was changed to Poison Lord Boss not taking any damage - weirdness!
On 8/24/2022 at 2:01 PM, gogoblender said:

btw i hated that enemy .. nothing more scaary than hearing him come whoosing over the hills and then the screen going read after he redlines you ...

gogo

Have you tried running another class with the same weap and then see if it does damage

gogo

9 hours ago, Flix said:

I've seen this bug before.  I did not link it to Pole Arms, in fact I'm sure I've never fought the Poison Lord with a Pole Arm-wielding character. I did note at the time that melee weapons would not hurt him, only spells.  But a reload of the game fixed it.

I have also seen this bug on other bosses, randomly, and very rarely.

Thoughts on a solution: I have absolutely no idea, totally baffled every time I see the bug.  :dntknw:

ahhhh, Sacred 2's got a bug left! not often we find robust bugs that keep getting through our cleansing trouble shoots...

b9a5b42845c1e6a78d47d593e5cf6e095d8bda5c130ecadc050e322c8e23db7c.jpg

:D

gogo

On 8/24/2022 at 9:35 AM, idbeholdME said:

EDIT:

Is there any other unique enemies that the polearm wont damage?

gogo

• 1 year later...

Just a bump. Tried fighting a very late Niob Poison Lord with a High Elf WITHOUT Ancient Magic Mastery. The result?

Poison Lord is fully immune against spells dealing Fire, Ice or Physical damage. Decided to finally look up this guy in creatures.txt and holy hell. He has:

crbonus_damping_ice

crbonus_damping_poi

crbonus_damping_fir

crbonus_damping_phy

These are bonuses which grant the creature in question mitigation against a specific type. He has 4 of them and they all have these values:

difficultyvaluerange0 = {0,500,500},
  difficultyvaluerange1 = {1,600,600},
  difficultyvaluerange2 = {2,700,700},
  difficultyvaluerange3 = {3,850,850},
  difficultyvaluerange4 = {4,1000,1000},

Which means a 100% mitigation on Niobium. So the Poison Lord is officially immune to 4 out of the 5 damage types on Niobium. Only Magic damage can hurt him, unless a character has Ancient Magic Mastery. This probably makes him one of the toughest enemies in the entire game AND he hits extremely hard with Poison damage. Good thing High Elf has Cobalt Strike :P  He is not immune to slows so keeping him away with Frost Flare and chipping him down with Cobalt Strike, I managed to defeat him.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Like! 1
4 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Just a bump. Tried fighting a very late Niob Poison Lord with a High Elf WITHOUT Ancient Magic Mastery. The result?

Poison Lord is fully immune against spells dealing Fire, Ice or Physical damage. Decided to finally look up this guy in creatures.txt and holy hell. He has:

crbonus_damping_ice

crbonus_damping_poi

crbonus_damping_fir

crbonus_damping_phy

These are bonuses which grant the creature in question mitigation against a specific type. He has 4 of them and they all have these values:

difficultyvaluerange0 = {0,500,500},
  difficultyvaluerange1 = {1,600,600},
  difficultyvaluerange2 = {2,700,700},
  difficultyvaluerange3 = {3,850,850},
  difficultyvaluerange4 = {4,1000,1000},

Which means a 100% mitigation on Niobium. So the Poison Lord is officially immune to 4 out of the 5 damage types on Niobium. Only Magic damage can hurt him, unless a character has Ancient Magic Mastery. This probably makes him one of the toughest enemies in the entire game AND he hits extremely hard with Poison damage. Good thing High Elf has Cobalt Strike :P  He is not immune to slows so keeping him away with Frost Flare and chipping him down with Cobalt Strike, I managed to defeat him.

Thats a detailed, very interesting analysis...I remember this enemy more than most (there are a few :D) Aaaaaand.I remember him being VERY scary up in Niobium with my Dryad...whats interesting is that.. we can see a list of enemies are that are more powerful at different levels?

Like a top ten per, bronze, silver, gold NIob.. do their differences scale that much ?

gogo

15 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Like a top ten per, bronze, silver, gold NIob.. do their differences scale that much ?

gogo

All of the creature bonuses scale with difficulty. But mitigation is very significant as it reaches 100% in Niob. That's why the elementals only become fully immune to their element in Niob. You can still hurt Ice Elementals with Ice in Plat, although you will only be doing 15% damage.

As for dangerous enemies, a top 10 for late Niob would look something like this

1) Bosses, notably Gahanka Octagolamus, Dragons, Facetteleon, Narmul and Poison Lord. All have extremely hard hitting attacks. Octagolamus especially is a hidden powerhouse. And Gahanka? He might have the hardest hitting attack in the entire game. Try getting hit by his stone throw when he is level 200+ :P Will one shot you like no tomorrow. Good thing it's easily avoidable.

2) Enemies with Ancient Magic. Small Red Dragons have homing Fireballs, that deal high damage even through high fire mitigation. Same with Elite Temple Guardians that throw Fire Traps. Standing in one will melt you extremely fast.

3) Fen Fire. Unavoidable lightning attack dealing very high Magic damage. They also have a proclivity to spawn in groups. Thank the Creator they don't have an Elite version...

4) Blood Dryad Shamans. Simply because of the totem they have, which is inconspicuous and hits very hard, very fast. Combined with the root the Shamans also have, can be quite deadly.

5) Flaming Horse. A very hard hitting special attack with a high chance to ignite, dealing several ticks of damage. They seem to have Damage Lore, so the ticks deal damage almost equal to the base hit. They're currently hitting me for 10K damage and continue with ticks of 9K for several seconds most of the time. Even their regular attacks do double hits.

6) Spitting spiders. Their DoT (like most others) scales a lot with difficulty and levels. The spiders are notable, because they can spawn in very large numbers. Doesn't matter if it's the Human region or the Swamp.

7) Demonic Eyes. They are not the only enemy in the game with Life Leech lightning, but they have it the most powerful. The Elites can do 25%+ of your maximum life with a single attack and it also inflicts a hefty Magic DoT. They are mostly harmless when their main attack is on cooldown, which is why I put them this low, but make sure to never aggro more than 2 at once.

8) Bipedal Demons. The ones near the end of the game and Bog Demons. They all hit very fast and very hard. A pretty rare variant can randomly spawn in the Wasteland - an Elite Demon Lord. That guy alone ensures the demons' spot in this list. In this category, I'd also put Harbingers of Death from the Blood Forest. They can hit quite hard and notably, the one at the end of the Crypt quest is a secretly super-charged version. I recently added that info to the quest: https://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Death_of_a_Demon

9) Scorpions. Tough, above average damage, but hit extremely quickly. One of the few enemies that has 2 Elite variations, one worse than the other. Getting surrounded by these little buggers can mean a very quick death.

10) Garema. Might not look like it, but they can be a major annoyance at high levels. Melee ones have double attacks, ranged ones have hitscan attacks, casters are budget Fen Fires. Also hit pretty hard with a lot of Poison damage. Always surprised with how dangerous the jungle becomes the later you go into Niobium.

Special mention:

Furies. Luckily only present in Northland, but they get this mention simply because the Elite ones have an attack that can cancel buffs. The only area in the game where you have to regularly keep a very close eye on your buff status.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Respect! 1
1 hour ago, idbeholdME said:

All of the creature bonuses scale with difficulty. But mitigation is very significant as it reaches 100% in Niob. That's why the elementals only become fully immune to their element in Niob. You can still hurt Ice Elementals with Ice in Plat, although you will only be doing 15% damage.

As for dangerous enemies, a top 10 for late Niob would look something like this

1) Bosses, notably Gahanka Octagolamus, Dragons, Facetteleon, Narmul and Poison Lord. All have extremely hard hitting attacks. Octagolamus especially is a hidden powerhouse. And Gahanka? He might have the hardest hitting attack in the entire game. Try getting hit by his stone throw when he is level 200+ :P Will one shot you like no tomorrow. Good thing it's easily avoidable.

2) Enemies with Ancient Magic. Small Red Dragons have homing Fireballs, that deal high damage even through high fire mitigation. Same with Elite Temple Guardians that throw Fire Traps. Standing in one will melt you extremely fast.

3) Fen Fire. Unavoidable lightning attack dealing very high Magic damage. They also have a proclivity to spawn in groups. Thank the Creator they don't have an Elite version...

4) Blood Dryad Shamans. Simply because of the totem they have, which is inconspicuous and hits very hard, very fast. Combined with the root the Shamans also have, can be quite deadly.

5) Flaming Horse. A very hard hitting special attack with a high chance to ignite, dealing several ticks of damage. They seem to have Damage Lore, so the ticks deal damage almost equal to the base hit. They're currently hitting me for 10K damage and continue with ticks of 9K for several seconds most of the time. Even their regular attacks do double hits.

6) Spitting spiders. Their DoT (like most others) scales a lot with difficulty and levels. The spiders are notable, because they can spawn in very large numbers. Doesn't matter if it's the Human region or the Swamp.

7) Demonic Eyes. They are not the only enemy in the game with Life Leech lightning, but they have it the most powerful. The Elites can do 25%+ of your maximum life with a single attack and it also inflicts a hefty Magic DoT. They are mostly harmless when their main attack is on cooldown, which is why I put them this low, but make sure to never aggro more than 2 at once.

8) Bipedal Demons. The ones near the end of the game and Bog Demons. They all hit very fast and very hard. A pretty rare variant can randomly spawn in the Wasteland - an Elite Demon Lord. That guy alone ensures the demons' spot in this list. In this category, I'd also put Harbingers of Death from the Blood Forest. They can hit quite hard and notably, the one at the end of the Crypt quest is a secretly super-charged version. I recently added that info to the quest: https://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Death_of_a_Demon

9) Scorpions. Tough, above average damage, but hit extremely quickly. One of the few enemies that has 2 Elite variations, one worse than the other. Getting surrounded by these little buggers can mean a very quick death.

10) Garema. Might not look like it, but they can be a major annoyance at high levels. Melee ones have double attacks, ranged ones have hitscan attacks, casters are budget Fen Fires. Also hit pretty hard with a lot of Poison damage. Always surprised with how dangerous the jungle becomes the later you go into Niobium.

Special mention:

Furies. Luckily only present in Northland, but they get this mention simply because the Elite ones have an attack that can cancel buffs. The only area in the game where you have to regularly keep a very close eye on your buff status.

Very interesting post. It explains why these particular ennemis are effectively deadly (almost lost one character on every single one).

One note about the fire trap thrown by the Elite Temple Guardians: Through my runs, I had the feeling that the Shadow Warrior was the most vulnerable to these traps (by far, almost OS). Do you explain it by some hidden properties in game files or was it just a coincidence?

Edited by desm
  • Like! 1
3 hours ago, desm said:

One note about the fire trap thrown by the Elite Temple Guardians: Through my runs, I had the feeling that the Shadow Warrior was the most vulnerable to these traps (by far, almost OS). Do you explain it by some hidden properties in game files or was it just a coincidence?

Hard to tell. Depends on many factors. Most importantly, the Elite TGs have Ancient Magic Mastery from level 75 on, meaning they punch even through very high levels of damage mitigation easily. And with every level, their damage will increase noticeably. Before 75, their damage is high but not insane.

I just checked and the trapper Elite Temple Guardian actually has 2 traps that look very similar. A Fire one and a Magic one. Both deal a very high amount of 50/50 split of Physical/respective damage type.

High armor can help slightly lower the damage but that's about it. Mitigation helps too, but has greatly reduced effect. With low Physical armor and 0 Fire/Magic armor, it will hit extremely hard. That being said, I haven't noticed disproportionately high damage received with my SW. He might be physically larger than other characters so he hits them more easily, but no weirdness with damage. All characters get chunked equally hard :D My level 200 Seraphim with 61.4K HP, 81.4% mitigation to all sources and 5348 Fire Armor can survive 2 ticks (a single tick deals around 23K damage) from the trap of these guys. The 3rd tick would kill her. And that is a character that is basically immortal in most other scenarios.

Pumping raw HP is probably the safest bet to avoid one-shots. But it will just move it to 2 or 3 shots, even on the tankiest characters. Don't lock yourself in long animations and keep moving. Traps are some of the deadliest spells the enemies have in this game (Poison Lord has a Poison trap too) and it is absolutely crucial to avoid them at all costs in high Niobium.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Thanks! 1