Overall DM Destroyer damage

For Dragon Mage's Destroyer combat art (CA) the 'Swarm" mod increased its number of destroyers while the 'Explosive' mod increases their damage. Excluding the 'Endurance' mod either 'Swarm' can be taken twice and 'Explosive' once or vice versa. In addition, according to the wiki, the base number of destroyers (4) slowly increase with CA level.

I hope that the skills.txt knowledgeable people here can help on these questions:

1. At which CA level does the number of destroyers increase naturally?

2. Assuming skill level 100 and 200 and factoring out armor and mitigation, which mod combination would net the most Destroyer CA damage overall?

On a side note on the wiki article:

Damage: 70 + 35 per CA level Physical (CM Patch adds Fire damage to the destroyers)

Playing with CM0160 Destroyer CA damage is shown to me as pure physical. There is also no chance of burning displayed or burning detrimental effect triggered on enemies.

The Destroyers' self-destruct explosion attack is called "dm_zerstoerer_bomb" in spells.txt and has the following values:

Magic damage: 40 + 20 per CA level

Physical damage: 50 + 25 per CA level

Chance to stun: 20% + 0.3% per CA level

Similar with CM0160 there does not seem to be a magic damage source or weaken detrimental effect connected to Destroyer CA.

Cheers

• Thanks! 1
3 hours ago, ameaeth said:

For Dragon Mage's Destroyer combat art (CA) the 'Swarm" mod increased its number of destroyers while the 'Explosive' mod increases their damage. Excluding the 'Endurance' mod either 'Swarm' can be taken twice and 'Explosive' once or vice versa. In addition, according to the wiki, the base number of destroyers (4) slowly increase with CA level.

I hope that the skills.txt knowledgeable people here can help on these questions:

1. At which CA level does the number of destroyers increase naturally?

2. Assuming skill level 100 and 200 and factoring out armor and mitigation, which mod combination would net the most Destroyer CA damage overall?

On a side note on the wiki article:

Playing with CM0160 Destroyer CA damage is shown to me as pure physical. There is also no chance of burning displayed or burning detrimental effect triggered on enemies.

Similar with CM0160 there does not seem to be a magic damage source or weaken detrimental effect connected to Destroyer CA.

Cheers

Good seeing you back Amaeth. Happy New year and spring wishes to you and your family. Thanks for the thoughtful tips... Dragon Mage FTW! 

:superman:

gogo

Thanks Flix! Based on the skills.txt can you say which mod combination would get the most bang for the buck for the "min-maxers" out there in terms of basic damage on the CA overall?

• Like! 1
14 hours ago, chattius said:

And to complicate it even more there is the Maelstrom CA.

Thanks chattius! Looking at Maelstrom CA if modded with 'Grind' bronze mod on level 1 it would reduce physical armor by 100,5 % but I doubt that would set enemy armor to 0. Do you know how the calculation works for this physical armor debuff?

Cheers

I think you can't go below 0. I hoped for boosted damage at negative armour values but never noticed them. The damage to armour formula is quite interisting from neegative numbers to 0,

• Appreciation 1
13 minutes ago, chattius said:

I think you can't go below 0. I hoped for boosted damage at negative armour values but never noticed them. The damage to armour formula is quite interisting from neegative numbers to 0,

Then does the modded Maelstrom CA actually set enemy physical armor to 0, effectively negating phys armor?

14 hours ago, chattius said:

Think yes. But enemies may still have physical damage modification.

True, against physical damage mitigation only Ancient Magic (AM) mastery at skill level 75 comes to mind from the top of my head. But this makes Maelstrom CA a very powerful CA with the 'Grind' bronze mod as most of the DM's Elemental Magic Aspect is around physical damage CAs.

Are there any other sources of negative physical damage mitigation that could stack with the AM mastery?

Edited by ameaeth

Sources of specific element mitigation reduction are very rare. Pretty much only Temple Guardian and High Elf have access to them and it's only for ice and fire.

However, actual physical damage mitigation is very rare on enemies. It's mostly about their physical armor. And that can be reduced in a lot of ways, with many CAs, Mods, or even weapon bonuses.

• Respect! 1
17 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Sources of specific element mitigation reduction are very rare. Pretty much only Temple Guardian and High Elf have access to them and it's only for ice and fire.

However, actual physical damage mitigation is very rare on enemies. It's mostly about their physical armor. And that can be reduced in a lot of ways, with many CAs, Mods, or even weapon bonuses.

I assume since the DM is mostly non-weapon based Mealstrom CA really comes in handy for him. Or do you have additional suggestion for DM to reduce enemy armor?
Since enemies do not often have phys mitigation, would Ancient Magic mastery reduce their phys mitigation into negative values and thus increase physical damage additionally?

10 hours ago, ameaeth said:

Since enemies do not often have phys mitigation, would Ancient Magic mastery reduce their phys mitigation into negative values and thus increase physical damage additionally?

Yes. They don't actually have to have any damage mitigation at all (or armor) for Ancient Magic to make them more vulnerable.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:29 PM, Flix said:

Yes. They don't actually have to have any damage mitigation at all (or armor) for Ancient Magic to make them more vulnerable.

Are you sure? Because I was pretty sure Ancient Magic Mastery just penetrates a percentage of armor and mitigation. If the target has 0% mitigation and armor to the element of the attack, the Mastery part of Ancient Magic won't do anything (other than the increased damage %).

Things like Icy Evanescence or Fiery Ember can bring enemies into negative damage mitigation values because they are flat reductions, multiplying the damage instead of reducing it. Target has 20% fire mitigation, comes under the effect of Fiery Ember with 50% resistance reduction, meaning the enemy has -30% mitigation and takes 30% extra fire damage.

Ancient Magic Mastery reduction is relative, not flat, so the less armor/mitigation the target has, the less effective it is. The wiki claims so and I tend to agree from my gameplay observations and that's how I always treated it.

If an enemy has 50% fire mitigation and the player has AM Mastery with 50%, the enemy would end up with 25% fire mitigation. Same for armor. 500 fire armor would become 250.

Although I'm not sure how negative mitigation and AM Mastery would interact.

Edited by idbeholdME

Well, I'm sure that's how the "prone" bonuses (as they're called in the scripts) work, at least. It is essentially damage mitigation in reverse and there's no bottom cap that I can see.  It does not act on armor at all. 

31 minutes ago, idbeholdME said:

If an enemy has 50% fire mitigation and the player has AM Mastery with 50%, the enemy would end up with 25% fire mitigation

I believe they'd end up with none.  Prone works as a direct counter to damage mitigation, so they would cancel each other out.  But enemies would still be more vulnerable even if they had no mitigation or armor in place at all.  In fact they would be the most devastated.  There's no issue with going below "zero" for mitigation like there is for armor.  Opponent's Armor -X% could never reduce armor below 0, but there's no such limits with the prone debuffs.

31 minutes ago, idbeholdME said:

Icy Evanescence or Fiery Ember can bring enemies into negative damage mitigation values because they are flat reductions

All the prone debuffs are percentages, though.

Now, it's possible there is some completely different mechanic coded that only Ancient Magic uses, separate from anything visible in the scripts, but I can guarantee no one who wrote the Wiki had access to the code to look at it.  I believe their observations, but not necessarily the reasoning of why the numbers turned out the way they did.

I can't think of a way to prove that Ancient Magic is the same as any standard prone debuff though, since any damage boost against an un-armored, un-mitigated opponent could just be attributed to the global AM damage boost, rather than the fact that the mastery made them more "prone" to the damage.

It might be worth investigating further.

12 hours ago, Flix said:

It might be worth investigating further.

If it worked the same way as Evanescence and Ember, it would result in a very noticeable damage spike once Mastery is reached.  It starts at nearly 50%. Do all your spells start doing 50% more damage, regardless of the target?

The red dragons in dragon caves also have Ancient Magic at Mastery level and they are capable of damaging a character with 100%+ Mitigation. Although I can't tell whether the reduction is relative or absolute... Easiest test might be to jack up the mitigation value on a buff that gives mitigation to extreme levels and see how the dragon damage behaves. See if they do damage through 170% mitigation or if that would be enough to nullify it.

It's been quite a long time since I played a character with mastered AM, but I'll try to conduct some tests with the character editor this week, hopefully.

Edited by idbeholdME
7 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

it would result in a very noticeable damage spike once Mastery is reached.  It starts at nearly 50%. Do all your spells start doing 50% more damage, regardless of the target?

I never checked the numbers that closely.  There's another possibility though, and that is that AM might actually be granting this bonus all along, only displaying it after mastery is reached.  I forget which Skills behave that way, but there are a few - the double hit bonus on weapon lore skills comes to mind.

On 4/17/2023 at 12:32 AM, Flix said:

I never checked the numbers that closely.  There's another possibility though, and that is that AM might actually be granting this bonus all along, only displaying it after mastery is reached.  I forget which Skills behave that way, but there are a few - the double hit bonus on weapon lore skills comes to mind.

Possible, but still unlikely I think. The intended point of AM was

a) to increase spell damage in general

and

b) to help deal damage to enemies resistant to your spells

If the reduction was the same as that from Ember/Evanescence, it would simply be too strong. And the main reason - look at how the Mastery value scales. The same way as pretty much all other relative % bonuses in the game.

Still didn't get around to testing it, but just some more thoughts. I think it does the same thing as opponent's armor: Physical -X%, but for the Mitigation values and potentially also armor values. What exactly skills and especially their Masteries do is often not easily visible/editable in the script files.

Edited by idbeholdME
10 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

If the reduction was the same as that from Ember/Evanescence, it would simply be too strong.

That's funny, here I was thinking that if it didn't work that way, then mastery would be laughably weak.  :lol:  How many enemies have damage mitigation after all? Not many aside from bosses.  If it was an armor reduction, then that would be pretty decent, since armor is at least omnipresent.  But it would still require an opponent to have the resistance before it could be reduced.

We could ask the codemeister. 

@dimitrius154  If you have a moment, can you tell us if you can see how the Ancient Magic Mastery mechanics work? The tooltip just says it reduces "immunities."  We're not sure if affects Damage Mitigation, Armor, or both.  Also we're not sure if only reduces the opponent's existing values or if it works like a standard "BONUS_PRONETOCHANNEL" debuff, increasing vulnerability no matter what.

20 hours ago, Flix said:

If you have a moment, can you tell us if you can see how the Ancient Magic Mastery mechanics work? The tooltip just says it reduces "immunities."  We're not sure if affects Damage Mitigation, Armor, or both.  Also we're not sure if only reduces the opponent's existing values or if it works like a standard "BONUS_PRONETOCHANNEL" debuff, increasing vulnerability no matter what.

It works like "BONUS_PRONETOCHANNEL", but is not considered to be a debuff. It also counteracts "Spell Resistance" on 1:1 ratio and is considered an extra "lore skill" for the final spell damage calculation. 

• Like! 1

Glad to shed some light on something even I wasn't sure about.

To link it back to the original topic, physical damage mitigation is the most common type that enemies will have, but it is fairly low values, between 5-15%.  Given that Ancient Magic Mastery can cut that in half, you might expect to be able to do an additional 2-7% damage against such foes than you would without it. So, it's not nothing, but it's not the powerhouse I thought it was.

BTW I corrected the Wiki having info about CM Patch adding fire damage to Destroyers and ice damage to Tornado.

• Appreciation 1