Firefox 3.0 (Heads up)

Schot

Heya gang. I just wanted to throw this out real quick. It seems to me that Firefox 3.0 really isn't quiiite so ready for use. Today I installed it and had serious issues, as well as gogo, with scrolling on our forum. It seems to be a result of the use of transparency + a fixed background. I had a long look of the list of present bugs for FF3 on Mozilla's bug reporting system and it looks as though FF3 may need just a bit more time. The problem on darkmatters using FF3 has been fixed but none the less I'm advising that you all wait another month before taking the plunge. I'm guessing that in the coming days we'll be reading about problems with FF3 so keep an eye out. :P

The lag on our forum was a real drag :badbad: Schot you bandaged the problem up nicely... I'm hoping there's a fix for it soon. lol, looking at the forum in one dimension seems so flat and so...ordinary :(

I'm looking forward to the new animated pngs...apparently this functionality really puts firefox as first place. I didn't get to use my old noia theme... Gak...loved that theme. Does anyone know if new themes are available?

:)

gogo

I found a theme that works with FF3 and looks really sharp with the new look of it too Aero Fox dark I think it is called

Edited by EvilMale

384-hacker.jpg

you guys might want to have a look at the good "old" 2,0,0,14 version again as there is a critical security bug in FF 3.0 final that leaves you vulnerable for PC takeover attacks

384-hacker.jpg

you guys might want to have a look at the good "old" 2,0,0,14 version again as there is a critical security bug in FF 3.0 final that leaves you vulnerable for PC takeover attacks

Where'd you hear about the security flaw?

What we can confirm is that about five hours after the official release of Firefox 3.0 on June 17th, our Zero Day Initiative program received a critical vulnerability affecting Firefox 3.0 as well as prior versions of Firefox 2.0.x.

Ehm doesn't that make going back to 2.0.x a bit unnecessary?

hmmm the info that was sendt to me indicated that this bug also was found in early version of FF 2 but that it was not found in the latest version (2.0.0.14 )

ill check it out tomorrow if no one beats me to it :hugs: (iam just to tired now) yawn.gif

Went back to FF 2...ff 2 was a bit too clunky for me, and I was not liking at all what it was doing to our forum for me... Bhj got me the download, after I was so frustrated in not being able to find it.

Back to what works well!

:hugs:

gogo

looks like I remembered wrong :oooo:

here is what Window Snyder (security guru at mozilla corporation said about it

TippingPoint ZDI notified Mozilla of a vulnerability in Firefox that impacts versions 2.x and 3.0. This issue is currently under investigation. To protect our users, the details of the issue will remain closed until a patch is made available. There is no public exploit, the details are private, and so the current risk to users is minimal.

TippingPoint will also keep the details closed to protect Firefox users. From their blog post:

While Mozilla is working on a fix, we wont be divulging anything else until a patch is available, adhering to our vulnerability disclosure policy. Once the issue is patched, we’ll be publishing an advisory here. Working with Mozilla on past security issues, we’ve found them to have a good track record and expect a reasonable turnaround on this issue as well.

At Mozilla we appreciate any report of security issues because that is how we make the browser stronger and more secure. The best way to keep Firefox users safe is to report the issues directly to Mozilla as TippingPoint has chosen to, and to wait to release details until a fix is available.

but like gogo iam still using 2.0.0.14 on my main pc :thumbsup: (I just cant be without my addons) :4rofl:

Damn.....looks like Firefox 3 is doing a Vista.

Release it and let all the pheasants do the beta testing.

My All In One Sidebar isn’t compatible with ver 3 and that’s a real downer for me. :4rofl:

And my google spellchecker is now bugging out also.

And browsing is slower.

I'm going back to the future and reinstalling ver 2.

I'll wait for the Service Pack :thumbsup:

This is definitely a step backwards for Mozilla.

stubbs

I've had a few bumbps along the way while using FF3 though nothing extreme. I think I might hold on just a bit longer and see what happens. Maybe even contribute a bit to the Mozilla's bug reporting system https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

Here's a little article that may be of some use to keep an eye on from c|net:

Hold off on Firefox version 3

I think I will stick with my FF3 despite the bugs I feel I have a pretty good setup to stop any attacks to my pc and network

Edited by EvilMale
  • 3 weeks later...

just downloaded firefox 3. since I only use ff3 for ogame, luckily don't have to worry about most things. it does appear to rock, seems much faster than ff2. only plugin I need, neogame, seems to work reasonably well minus a few minor bugs like universe selector not working.