Oh, the fun of a lot of RAM

gogoblender

Have any of you guys been finding that you have started changing your habits after you have 4 gigs or more? Gone are the days when I have to stop apps because I've got something big running. Now...I just open another one up. ^^ A while back, the big resource hog on my system was running Requiem. Requiem is quite the hog. It doesn't even like MSN running.... and forget running a movie. With 4 gigs, I can run requiem, two movies, keep msn going, leave a bunch of tabs open on my browser, and even make posts.

Does this mean I'm getting lazy? I'm not sure. Yeah I find myself keeping everything open...why bother closing them right? Half the time, when I'm in requiem now, I don't even bother logging out, and if I"m bored, lol, I can keep my game going while also playing a movie in mini, keep an eye on the forum and even chat on msn.

Does having more RAM make for a less efficient user? I'm not sure. I do know that having everything open and playing and/or paused is cool and means I don't even have start up aps anymore.

Just the other day, I was able to take screenies while in game, save them with ifranview, load them up to bucket, and then post them on the forum, and just laze back to the game.

I could get used to this

:P

gogo

Funny you mention it. ^^

I've recently upgraded to 8GB of ram but I have yet to shake the habit of only running one application at a time. I'll have to practice running multiple apps. Oh I did however run Crysis and Requiem at the same time. That was fun! :P

Are Ferrari owners lazy drivers ? I say no, if you find your 4Gb taking a bit of strain, just add another 4 (wallet permitting) ! There's one thing I hate and that's sniffing through task manager to see which processes, if identifiable, could be shut down.

Never had any problems whit 2gb on my old PC.. it was just the poor CPU that couldn't run those programs fast enought. Now much much better CPU and also 2gb of ram, I can do whatever whitout any delay.. so I don't see what's the fuzz about more RAM needed to get good performance..?

I think it's just the multi-processing of so many apps at once, Ob. With two gigs, I couldn't properly keep a movie, msn, requiem, forums, ifranview, etc all going at once.

lol, I pretty much had to (heh, as scleameth pointed out) had to use my task manager and pick which hog I'd have to kick out to make sure the one app I wanted to use was still working.

Now...I never shut anything off. It's a weird feeling, and as Schot said (Curses Schot, you and your 8 gig! :unsure:) it takes some getting used to. I know Schot is running a huge amount of work on his comp, and even with four gigs, he was having probs with Photoshop being able to do a good save of files while running other apps.

I've got four gigs, which is more than enough for a good while...and the bonus of being able to shuttle between so many progs and apps with no slowdown from anything is like icing on the cake.

heh, I'm wondering if the time will come when peeps will actually never have to close an app... why not keep them all just going forever? If processing power begins to get that powerful in the future...why bother closing anything anymore?

:)

gogo

p.s. Gives mom some worker elves to help her one gig work harder :)

Would be bad for nature. That many heat that computers make would just grow if we "encumber" the pc's work.

This world will soon be over...:unsure:

I think it's just the multi-processing of so many apps at once, Ob. With two gigs, I couldn't properly keep a movie, msn, requiem, forums, ifranview, etc all going at once.

Really? wow, that game must be eating memory a lot then. As I never close my MSN, most of the time I've got winamp playing, still can run multiple pages online and convert a video whitout seeing any delay on any commands. I could even run a game while waiting some download and video file conversion while listening music and keeping Photoshop open and record a video of doing so.

Just took a test. Got four different pages on firefox open, one is playing video from youtube, got bsplayer playing a video, msn as allways on, adobe photoshop open, winamp playing song, just for fun rollercoaster tycoon running (yeah old game, but still should use memory) and top of all that I opened FL Studio 8 XXL producer edition and loaded the biggest son possible (if thinking how much memory and CPU power it uses ) and still get no delay at all from any program.

And anyone who has done some music knows how much it can use of your memory and CPU when having a bad soundcard or integrated sound card, as I have, which is even worse. So I don't really see what should I do the get the computer slow down? or even think situation where I would need more programs running at the same time.

I noticed a slight difference with my upgraded to 4gb (well to 2814mb via 4gb total due to 32-bit limitations...) but then again I'm very impatient and tend to start 'using' my computer the moment the desktop shows up, even though I know that the startup isn't complete.

Even on 2gb I always had MSN and Trillian open (and I'm using messenger plus with a few scripts so it's a bigger hog than usual from what I can tell). I tend to have firefox open with multiple tabs, at least 1 has auto-refresh built in (Gmail, and at times the online users on SIF).

Then again at work right now I'm stuck using a Dell Laptitude D600, only 768 MB of ram and we're forced to use Lotus Notes... I want to scream at times.

I noticed a slight difference with my upgraded to 4gb (well to 2814mb via 4gb total due to 32-bit limitations...) but then again I'm very impatient and tend to start 'using' my computer the moment the desktop shows up, even though I know that the startup isn't complete.

Even on 2gb I always had MSN and Trillian open (and I'm using messenger plus with a few scripts so it's a bigger hog than usual from what I can tell). I tend to have firefox open with multiple tabs, at least 1 has auto-refresh built in (Gmail, and at times the online users on SIF).

Then again at work right now I'm stuck using a Dell Laptitude D600, only 768 MB of ram and we're forced to use Lotus Notes... I want to scream at times.

TRY p3 with 256 mb of memory and then run windows xp, word, outlook, adobe acrobat and custom software at the same time *sigh*

stupid it guys needed to order these systems with atleast 512.... and the systems arent that old .... maybe 2 years old now ...

Lol, on my 4GB I've run 3 pieces of antivirus, one antvirus scan command and conquer 3 and a movie all at the same time... oh and winamp firefox MSN and several other more minor things

:unsure:

~Doom

I like to only have one program running at a time.

Nothing to do with RAM......I just don't think its a good idea to have multiple programs running at once that could conflict with each other.

Me no like nuthin to bugger up me game :drinks:

stubbs

Ahh, but see that's the magic my friend. When you have so much RAM... it's hard to mess up any game you're currently in. Blinking in and out... as simple as that.

There's often times when in Requiem when the toon was going through a portal, or I could auto run him to the next town...what to do during the during? For lack of packed sandwiches and beer, I would just tab out to any of the other apps I was running, see what was going on and then tab back in.

lol, once while I was in game FLYING... I was snapping away pics of the landscape, sticking them into ifran view, then uploading them all to Photobucket...at the same time I was in game :drinks:

I knew from that moment I was hooked to the tab button ^^

And yeah Ob, Requiem was a huge problem with my other Apps. Heh, I think that one game alone made me go out and upgrade

:(

gogo