Shift - blocking for Sacred 2

Perhaps it works with a certain %, rather then just 35 as a number ;-).

other then that, holding shift, and clicking in a random place makes my character 'walk', rather then run. But I didn't notice any increase in defence.

Great topic Prom! I first heard about this after Schot found out about it a few years after Sacred was published

Shift Shield Defense

Was a surprise, and I'm happy you're telling us it's alive and well in Sacred 2!

Good ole Ascaron keeping stuff secret huh

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

It's exceptional info prom. The hardcore players should find this very helpful. Very nice find! Sneaky Ascaronies, haha. They seem to like to keep that one as a surprise. I tried to get them to add it to the Sacred 2 manual but nope! :)

I tried it with my level 44 Shadow Warrior. I fight with a sword+shield, and I get 48 more defense points (from 244 to 292), that's something. I personally think that this can add more depth to combat. What do you guys think?

Max

Well from the looks of things:

126 + 35 = +20%

244 + 48 = +20% (well 19.8 or so but close)

So shift blocking adds 20% def perhaps? The real question would be is this vs final def or after any gear/skill/ca(if there are such) modifiers. Because I'm just imagining S1 with Adrenaline/HC... +20% on top of that very high def and you'd have incredibly very high def.

I went on another try from 173 to 211. That's a 38 increase.

20% of 173 = 34.6.

It's a tad more then 20%, and you can hardly blame round numbers for this... Perhaps it's not 20.

However it's about 22.5% of 173, and this was done in silver. Perhaps it increases by difficulty from 20-22.5-25-... %

just a theory though. Any1 got a char in gold yet to try it out?

any other types of chars perhaps. Maybe the bonus depends on your character type aswell

Increase per difficulty makes sense, although would still need to be tested.

And raw def makes more sense. I'm assuming you're using the Ancient Bark buff to increase your defense? Just how much of a buff is it providing % wise?

I'd say the value for shift blocking needs to be looked at, see if parrying etc affects (relatively decreases) the increase in def etc. Because for a character without a +def buff/CA boost 20% can make a significant difference.

Assuming chance to hit vs equal level is (Attack / (Attack + Def)), an attack value of 1000, a def value of 300 (I suppose it's possible, and it should show the point).

1000 / 1300 = 76.9% chance to hit (CTH)

1000 / 1000 + 300*1.2 = 73.5% CTH.

Changing that to a more realistic 1000 attack, 1000 def (Well I'd find it more realistic)

1000 / 2000 = 50% CTH

1000 / 2200 = 45% CTH

5% drop in CTH

Well 5% is worth the effort. Being a huge vitality buffer, I tend to just stay put when my skill is recharging for a few seconds. Getting 5% less chance to hit, might be worth putting that shift button down for those few seconds. 5% is a few punches in a mob when you are ganging em up.

where did you get those numbers and formula's though :)

The numbers were arbitrary values based on experience in S1 (as far as what my def vs my att tended to be and hit/be hit rates).

Also that's more or less the standard chance to hit type of formula, Since Attack/Attack = 1 you can never have more than 100% chance to hit, after that you factor in a vs level modifier but against same level monsters you can disregard level when figuring out any formula.

I don't know that it's the exact formula used, but still it can give you an idea of just what the benefit is to your survival.