How to patch Sacred 2

I'm having a lot of CTD's happening lately, they could be due to my GFX card which is at the virge of a complete breakdown, or due to a messed up installation. I sometimes can't even get the game started, but a reboot usually fixes that. Now my guess is that this behavior is from the GFX card having trouble with anything other than 2d. However, I also frequently crash ingame, when portalling or joining a game. Today I crashed with an exception type error.

My question is this: how did you all patch up, what order is recommended?

I have applied all patches on the same installation. I would like to hear other people's experiences with patching/playing.

UK version Timo?

Between me and gogo there was only one issue that we came across. I can't remember the exact form of the problem but in the words of gogo it simply "wouldn't go". ^^ I suggested that he run a fresh install of his UK version but this time without running a bajillion other things while it was installing. The installer seems to be very sensitive to other pc ongoings during installation. Only thing I can really suggest is to run the installation and leave the pc to do it's thing.

As for the order we apply 4 patches which is different from the presently available patches on the Sacred2.com for UK. I guess they joined the first two patches into a single one. I believe that some folks are suggesting the 4 patch option rather than the 3 patch option presently on the Sacred 2 site.

I'll see if gogo still has them. :3lmao:

I was so very wrong. lol. I was thinking there was a cumulative because of the US distro needing less patching than the UK. I hadn't considered the fact that the US was simply a later distro that includes some of the released patches. Errr Teehe...

P.s.

Here's the patch order that we've done. Not sure if it made a difference but we never started the game up until after all 4 patches were applied:

s2patchorder.jpg

Schot is spot-on and this advise is pretty much what has been suggested to do over in the SIF and seems to work for a lot of people.

Have you tried putting your video card under stress? Try running one of the 3DMark benchmarks or try ATI Tools to check your card.

Sacred 2 is pretty hard on your graphics card and getting crashes and errors could well be an indication of a failing card which you seem to think you have. ;)

Edited by stubbie

ATiTool is a mess. I've already sought help on a Dutch tech forum with my findings and they agree: the card is dieing.

I'm ordering a 3870 probably somewhere next week.

But my entire system will be getting an overhaul to a complete legit system (and I'm gonna try to OC it a bit too) so I might be off of Sacred for a while, have to do a reinstall anyway, so that's why I'm asking this question.

Edited by Timotheus
so I might be off of Sacred for a while, and I am going to join Erling's Anime Marathon for the next 4 weeks until his arm is better.

great!

I watched 5 full series (thats alot of hours) in the days since I broke my arm ;)

(please dont bust my manipulation of the quote)

What worked for me US player, UK version:

I got all single patches, 4 of them, downloaded and put into their own neat little folder.

HERE is the OF post, the first post has links to the individual 2.10 and 2.12 patches. Get the 2.31 and 2.34 the normal way.

I uninstalled everything related to Sacred 2, went into regedit and blew out all the leftovers in there, shortcuts, everything I could find. Restarted my computer after every major change. Finished the initial re-install. restart. Then, reinstalled the elite gfx. restart. then installed each individual patch, restarting after each one.

Got to the final 2.31 to 2.34 patch, started the same way, hung on 1% "checking" files for a long time, then it started actually increasing. got to 99 hung a bit, went to 100%, back to 99%, then finally completed! well, completed the checking files stage. then it actually installed the patch, this did not take but a few moments. was it done? no! lol. then it went into "checking the installed version" stage for along time. completed that successfully. Woot!

So, in conclusion, download those first two individual patches (2.10 and then the 2.10 to 2.12), and then use your big 2.31 patch and then finally do the 2.31 to 2.34.

hope this helps, and thanks to bo0ork in the OF for the footwork on that crazy night.

AARGH

I cannot patch up :D .10>.12 isn't working, I keep getting an error about a file that was not extracted.

Okay it worked after I re-downloaded the patch...

Can't install 2.14

screw this game. I'm outta Sacred until the next / a cumulative patch arrives.

Edited by Timotheus
AARGH

I cannot patch up :D .10>.12 isn't working, I keep getting an error about a file that was not extracted.

Okay it worked after I re-downloaded the patch...

Can't install 2.14

screw this game. I'm outta Sacred until the next / a cumulative patch arrives.

Forgive me if I say something silly, but did you make sure to do a clean install of the game? 2.14 is very picky about what files are present. I had somewhat the same problems as you and managed to fix it by completely reinstalling it in one go.

UK Version

I did exactly as you say Akamir. Installed and patched all at once and without ever launching the game in between patching. I read someone that said it was important that they not launch the game after installing and I followed that advice.

As for my experiences so far they have been flawless on my end. I'm playing the UK version and I've actually installed it in a couple of ways. The first time I installed and then patched I used 4 patches that at the time were available. Patch 2.10 then 2.12 then 2.31 and then 2.34. I used these 4 patches as they came available and they ran fine.

Yesterday I received a UK game of my own so I uninstalled the UK version I had on my computer using the Vista Control Panel Program and Features utility. The first thing I did was I turned off all protection software. For my pc that means I turned off Vista Firewall. I removed Elite Textures next and then removed the game using the Program and Features utility. Then I checked my registry to make sure the entries for Sacred 2 had been removed. It appeared that it had been removed but just in case I used my Ccleaner program to clean my registry. It removed two items that were obsolete but I really could not tell what they were. Next I rebooted my pc. After rebooting I proceeded to install Sacred 2 UK version. Absolutely nothing else was running during the entire installation and I think that is an important point. No browser, not even a notepad. Once the installation completed I began to install each of the 3 UK patches I had downloaded a few days ago. I did not launch the game at this point. Oh and for the record I downloaded each of them from Server 4 on the sacred 2 site. ->Link<-. Each patch did it's thing though on the third patch, 2.34, it took an awful long time. It made some very extensive checks as AgentSmith described. With all the mods that have come out I'm wondering if this latest patch is checking for exactly that. Any change made to the installation files will likely render a game "unpatchable". All my patches completed after a time and the game ran as smooth as silk.

Not all that helpful I'm afraid but maybe there's something in my experience that can help. Possibly a patch is corrupt on one server but not on another? Could try Server 4 like I did.

Akamir... I'm running a complete fresh legal installation of everything, I reinstalled yesterday...

And Schot: the suggestion about not firing up the game in between patches did not work either, because I didn't...

• 2 weeks later...
Sirpennywise on the SIF:

New "Full-Patch" to be released!! in the next few days~

I have been having problems and talking back and forth to the Tech Support about my patch problems...

here is the latest Email that I got today...

======

We are currently in the process of releasing a “full-patch” which will patch from box-version to the latest version. If you are willing to wait just a few more days, you can try this. If it works for you, it will be much more convenient.

========

There we go.. so everyone that tossed your game and gave up .. you might give it another shot in a day or two when the complete patch is released!

Edited by Timotheus
My question is this: how did you all patch up, what order is recommended?

I've been lucky enough to have grandmaster Schot close by to help if things go wrong. But I do understand how complicated patching is for Sacred 2. What we've done is made sure absolutely that the patches we've downloaded are absolutely the correct ones by constantly checking the numbers and then trying them out.

The entire patch assembly line now lies secure in a file, called upon to help during any one of emergencies when Sacred 2 should start acting wonky. I"ve actually had to patch up a number of times now, as it seems strange things happen all the time, especially with the .txt file.

Timo, is it working okay for you these days? There's a fledgling number of D.a.r.ksters on the servers these days as our clan from all over the world slowly gets it to be able to function on their computers.

I know that for me this has been a very frustrating experience. There have been times I've been waiting to throw out the game and comp right out the window. All that keeps me coming back is you guys.

Keep trying everyone.

:(

gogo

Got it to work. Took me a complete reinstall and redownload of the patches... A.k.a. 2 agonizing hours of installing...

I sure hope the cumulative patch fixes a lot of the problems :(

Timo, that's fantastic man! lol, too bad the servers are at their worst low these last couple of days :P Got any fun toons goin? This is great... slowly our entire clan is coming back out again!

:(

gogo

Well I'm trying to see my Dryad grow past level 60 to try her in Gold...

I was getting near 40 I think, don't really know it's been over a week since I last got online...

Hate to say it but I'm looking forward to Sunday's Kami event in S1, less of a hassle :(

heheh, I'll be honest... you know when I first started playing Sacred 2...I was scared pantless :( I kept telling schot over and over again...what are we going to do...what are we going to do...so much lag...so hard!

And now...after two months...things seem to be settling, and for that I'm grateful. Chalk it up to comfy with new stuff and finally getting my head wrapped around this insanely huge game.

I kept on telling Brad (Schot) that we may have to completely rethink the kamikaze and only do it in softcore..

*listens to gasps of horror*

lol, yeah...seriously ^^

However...with a few weeks of this game under my belt...I'm much more comfy with my builds and even sniffing out when the lag monster is about to appear. Yeah it's a learning curve, but this game is so beautiful once you get to know it's bones.

I'm hoping that soon the gang will slowly make their way here, and kami's will once again be the incredible Sacred MP event they were in Sacred.

:P

gogo