Sacred 2 - Easter Eggs or External pop-culture references

Just thought I'd post these incase anyone wants to add them to the wiki... There are a ton of gravestones that are also pop culture references instead of just your standard off-beat humor...

Gravestone Inscription - Kayron Jarvis

-Kayron Jarvis is the main character in another Ascaron Game, "DarkStar One".

Book: Lore of Monsters Volume 3: How to Behave Around Dragons, there is a line: "Through unspeakable dangers and despite uncountable difficulties I have made my way to this castle on the outskirts of the Kobold city..."

- This line is very close to the line from the movie Labyrinth: "Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City"

The difference could be due to translation, or due not wanting to plagarize.

There's a Bus Stop on the road from Griffinborough to Black Oak. I think it's right about where the #10 portal lands, so maybe there are more of them, but I haven't used the portals.

Not sure if these belong under "Easter Eggs" or their own category, or what, because there were a ton in S1 (Like the reference to the MMO "Asheron's Call") and I'm sure there are plenty in Sacred 2. I'll keep posting them as I find them.

Edited by Kaiden
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaiden, this is excellent...and welcome to DarkMatters! Ayup, I think the debate on what an Easter Egg is or isn't is going to go on forever...but having all the references documented never hurts.

Since you're a member here on this site, you'll find that you can actually make edits to the Wiki already. Just log into the wiki with the same login name and password as you use here at DarkMatters, and you can press edit at the top of this page here on the wiki:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Easter_Eggs

Copy and paste everything you find there, and one of us (or even you if you have time :D) can always come along later and add some polish or edits.

Wiki coding is a snap, just look at the code of how someone else did it and you can just do it that way.

Great seeing the info here, I've always loved the little bits that Ascaron has put in, and this certainly adds more to the fun of the game.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

@Gogo - Ok, didn't know if someone else was already working on such a list, and really didn't know if it belonged in the Easter Egg section, or it's own section, etc... Especially with the number of Graves and Silly Messages that are also references outside of the game having their own section as well.

No worries, Kaiden. You can add what you find, this way at least your findings are documented. We can always work on the managing of the content after.

The wiki's open to everyone and the entire community, all of it's pages are open to contributors.

Have fun.

:D

gogo

The Inquisitor has quite a few Star Wars jokes/references. And of course, that's not even mentioning the fact that he's an obvious homage to Darth Vader & Emperor Palpatine.

Here are all of the Star Wars jokes/references that the Inquisitor makes (or at least the ones that I'm aware of):

- "Your Hate Only Fuels My Anger!" - reference to the dark side of the force and the Sith code.

- "Did Anakin let you live?" - The Inquisitor says this when he's taunting Sandmen in the Desert region. (Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader's real name).

- "::deep, mechanical breathing noise::" - When you put a Vader/Red Scorpion helmet on the Inquisitor, he will start making breathing noises similar to Darth Vader's signature breathing sound.

- "THE END, JUSTIFIES ALL MEANS!" - While this could easily be mistaken for a commonly used idiom/cliche, it is also possible that this is a reference Machiavelli's "The Prince" or Darth Sideous/Emperor Palpatine (he used the "End Justifies the Means" approach in Star Wars Episode 3).

- "I thought you were supposed to observe the code?" - This is a taunt that the Inquisitor uses against High Elf priests; I've never actually heard him use it in game though. Regardless, he's probably making a reference to the Sith Code.

---------------------------------------

Other Taunts/Jokes

---------------------------------------

- "YOUR SOUL BELONGS TO ME!" - This is possibly a reference to Mortal Kombat (the movie).

- "BRING ELVIS BACK T-ENERGY, NOT PUTRESCENCE SUCH AS THIS!" - This is one of the 4 taunts he uses against T-Energy mutants; it always gives me a good laugh :D

- "I liked the BLUE version of you better." - This is one of the 11 taunts the Inquisitor uses against enemy Temple Guardians. I'm pretty sure it's a continuation of the running gag about the Temple Guardian being similar to Mega Man.

- "Get customer service while you're at it!" - Another one of the 11 taunts that the Inquisitor uses against enemy Temple Guardians.

- "As I think, I exist..." - The Inquisitor sometimes quotes Descartes when you leave him idle long enough.

- ["Taking a break... MAYBE I'LL BE ABLE TO SELL A FEW COPIES OF THE WATCHTOWER WHILE YOU ARE GONE! "] - not exact, but when you leave the Inquisitor idle, he will sometimes make fun of Jehova's Witnesses ("The Watch Tower" is the Jehova's Witness magazine/news letter).

-------------------

Nefarious Netherworld Inquisitor = Lord of Darkness Undertaker tribute?

-------------------

While on this topic, I wanted to see if anyone else thought of this:

I've been under the impression as of late that the "Nefarious Netherworld" aspect for the Inquisitor may be a reference to "The Undertaker" (famous professional wrestler) during his "Lord of Darkness" days.

There are a lot of similarities between The LOD Undertaker and the Nefarious Netherworld Inquisitor... including the fixation on taking souls, summoning demons, cloaked druids, human sacrifices and necromancy.

Probably the most striking similarity/possible homage though with the Inquisitor and The Undertaker are their theme songs. The Inquisitor's theme musics remind me a lot of the LOD Undertaker's themes... including the Gregorian chant theme used for The LOD Undertaker's druids and of course, the LOD Undertaker's main theme song -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2srp5wHdbg

Also, I can hear some similarities between the Inquisitor's main theme and the metal remix of the Undertaker's traditional theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wyCibMVuhQ

I realize that this is probably a humongous stretch, but I honestly do think there is a substantial similarity between Nefarious Netherworld and the LOD 'Taker.

Edited by Cthulhu
I've seen that! There must be some serious football fans amongst the devs

:D

gogo

Two more Inquisitor quotes...

"You should have stuck to soccer, human." - A taunt he uses when he kills a human.

"[Mass genocide is the most exhausting task in the world... next to soccer.]" - One of his idle messages.

• 3 months later...

Well, at the southernmost tip of South Jungle Island (Boathouse Quest, Boat to North Jungle Island, Tunnel to South Jungle Island), a cave leads to a Car Showroom with the vehicle from the Flintstones. Also a few computers around. It's not on the Wiki page so I'll post this here. I'm sure you've seen it before though. (I'm on Xbox360 so no pics. Sorry about that)

Also, the Dyrad says "What did the old man say? Fly, you fools!". A reference to Gandalf after the battle with the Balrog perhaps?

Surprised no one has found the Star Wars stuff yet.

On the quest 'Manners Maketh Kobold' you head to a swamp owned by a little green guy name Y'Oldah (pronounced just like Yoda), also if you go his left you'll see some boxes and planks that resemble a crashed X-Wing.

For all you chemistry fans out there. Pity they have made messed up the middle though, it's Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon then Radon.

Guardsman of the Wardens

Helium

First Guardian of T-Energy

Argon

Second Guard of T-Energy

Neon

Third Guardian of T-Energy

Xenon

Fourth Guard of T-Energy

Krypton

Guardsman of the Wardens

Radon

Does that mean the Noble Gases are uneffected by T-Energy?

Forest Gump has been found at a Bus Stop still waiting for the bus to arrive ...

Forest Gump

I tried posting the image but it stretched the forum so I went with a link.

Since I'm only posting links, here is the Main Map so you can find it yourself.

Edited by Spock
  • 3 months later...

I found a tomb at the edge of the old naval port, thylysium. By opening the grave I got this message:

"Life was just a game to Ender, now it's ended."

May it be a reference to "Ender's Game" novel?

I found a tomb at the edge of the old naval port, thylysium. By opening the grave I got this message:

"Life was just a game to Ender, now it's ended."

May it be a reference to "Ender's Game" novel?

It is indeed. I'm not sure why I'm so sure (besides the obvious 'I've read Ender's Game and the pun makes sense'), but I suspect I may have read it on Wolfe's Lair or somewhere similar

Might be in an earlier post, but another probable star wars reference would be 'Senator Palentine' - he's the senator who tells you to take care of the Lich in the third part of the chain quest Commander Lothar

Edited by ZGold
  • 11 months later...

ha found this thread!

lol I knew Spock had posted a very good pic of the forrest gump easter egg... only took me to skip breakfast before I could dig this up.

Okay now that I wrote all that, I guess this topic is bumped, and we can data mine it later for Easter Egg section on Wiki.

gogo

• 4 weeks later...
For all you chemistry fans out there. Pity they have made messed up the middle though, it's Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon then Radon.

Guardsman of the Wardens

Helium

Argon

Second Guard of T-Energy

Neon

Xenon

Fourth Guard of T-Energy

Krypton

Guardsman of the Wardens

Radon

This is an interesting Egg. Does anyone know where in the game it is?

:bounce:

gogo

Guardsman of the Wardens

Helium

Argon

Second Guard of T-Energy

Neon

Xenon

Fourth Guard of T-Energy

Krypton

Guardsman of the Wardens

Radon

gogo

This is in a cave north of the little hamlet of blustone. When you cross the bridge keep to the north side of the hill and a trail takes you up to a camp where Kobolds are fighting elves. There is a little stream that you cross and head NE to a cave that has several statues surrounding a fountain of T-energy.

Guardsman of the Wardens

Helium

Argon

Second Guard of T-Energy

Neon

Xenon

Fourth Guard of T-Energy

Krypton

Guardsman of the Wardens

Radon

gogo

This is in a cave north of the little hamlet of blustone. When you cross the bridge keep to the north side of the hill and a trail takes you up to a camp where Kobolds are fighting elves. There is a little stream that you cross and head NE to a cave that has several statues surrounding a fountain of T-energy.

OK.. I found it.. It's like above the 2nd U in Bluestonebury on the map.

The central doodad with the 4 statues around it doesn't appear to be a fountain exactly.. Kinda looks sorta like a miniature version of the Great Machine's central ball. And unlike the one on the Seraphim Island that isn't working any longer, this one is still fully functional.

Hold the phone.. That's gotta be it... This is a sort of representation of the great machine... Looks like the nameless guardians may not be quite so..nameless! There are 4 nameless guardians and 4 guardians surrounding the T-energy doodad in the cave.

Some potential spoilers coming...

If you recall, Mer-Kil the dragon tells you that the Hub for the great machine is located in the lost city in the jungle. He tells you that it used to be an ancient outpost of the High Elves before it got lost, forgotten and otherwise abandoned.

This cave was likely built by High Elves sometime AFTER city was abandoned and the Temple Guardians moved the Great Machine to the wastelands during the Great War. The description of the machine, the fact there were 4 guardians and such could have been passed down verbally along with the gizmo in the center - possibly the device was brought along by an evacuee of the ancient city. For all we know, the ancents could have been making miniature versions of the Great Machine as souveniers or something.

Word of mouth instruction can become easily altered and no longer anywhere close to the original. For instance, if you tell someone that Bobby has a blue ball - and to pass it on to the next person in the queue, by the time you get to the 100th person, you might hear something about how Bobby is a frustrated pervert who needs a blue pill.

Given the level of chaos during/following the Great War, it's easy to see how information and technology could have been lost. The word "guardian" may have ceased meaning anything other than a humanoid in armor standing guard by the time the cave was built. Why should it? The Temple Guardians weren't around any more. No one knew or saw anything remotely like the Nameless Guardians in ages. A humanoid would have made the most sense.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

I like the analysis, it's connecting to the game history. I've made a new page called Table of elements. Does anyone have a pic of these statues in a cave in English please?

As well, now looking for the Blind guardian Fan shop... must have it! :lol: Does anyone know where it is, or can get us a pic?

gogo