Wiki and Combat Arts damage types

In my bumblings along I've been using the wiki heavily to decide my skills/combat arts for my various characters.

I've noted that the damage types assigned to combat arts (like Incendiary Shower {IS} for instance for the High Elf) are not shown.

Is that because for spells the damage type can be changed by forging a damage converter in the equipped weapon? Or is it just not yet thought of?

For instance IS is physical and fire damage.

If this information is to be included, it means a change to the structure of the combat art pages... so I bring it up here.

So, wassup?!

Now that's a good idea. I'm ready to add a lot of info on the Combat Arts as long there is a section of the pages for that. If Gogo and the others decide that it's prudent, I can start adding that info in the usage section. I think I can cover some 40-50% of all direct-damage CAs based on the chars I have.

For example, something like: Combat art damage type: Physical + Fire.

The hard part will be deciding how many % of it is physical, how many percent of it is fire. It can be done at a glance (if the fire bar is longer then the physical one, then this means something like 70% fire 30% physical), but it won't be that accurate. Maybe the game files contain that info, but I'm sort of hesitant to open them and tinker with them.

Besides, there is a general specification for the damage of the Combat Arts. If I recall correctly (doing this completely based on my memory of the CAs) Inquisitor does mainly magic or magic + physical damage, or ice (dislodged spirit). The Pyro tree for the HE has fire or fire + physical damage. The stormite tree is ice or ice + physical. Cobalt strike is physical + magic. The celestial tree for the seraphim is magic or magic + physical. The revered tree is physical + fire (archangel's wrath) or physical + magic (flaring nova). Dryad is mainly poison and physical + poison, the SW is physical, and physical + magic.

Edited by Dobri

Hey guys

If you have any more information regarding the Combat Arts sky's the limit. The Template was purposely left open at the bottom regarding "usage strategies" and, anyone can add an new heading called NOTES at the bottom after which miscellaneous information can be written that doesn't fit into the template.

Once enough people have put in enough of, for example, the native elemental damage of the spells, it's easy enough to change the template so that this information can be "read" more easily.

Dobri, as you were say, just add all the info you think is good into either usage strategies or create Notes. With a wiki, just getting the content onto the pages first before the community loses interest or peeps forget things is nigh important.

This is a great topic, and the information from this when added is going to be quite useful.

Cheers

:(

gogo

Ok, I'll start adding the info in the usage strategies. My opinion is that it should be there - and it won't take any page restructuring. The basic idea is that Combat Arts should be used according to the situation, and for that reason, "Usage strategies" is great - and it won't take any extra work - since I'm sure time is precious for everyone.

Dobri, first before we add this new info to the wiki, would it be okay if you could post the new CA info first here on this topic, perhaps one CA as an example? This way we can get a "feel" for what is going to be going in and Schot would have an easier time to see if a template change would be needed.

Thanks!

gogo

Completed all combat arts for Seraphim, High Elf and Temple Guardian. I'll have to transfer and/or find runes for the other chars since I don't have all of their skills covered :( Working on it.

Whoops... Seems I started without checking the topic...

Here's how Ancestral fireball looks like:

Usage Strategies

Combat art damage type: Physical + Fire

Ancestral Fireball is a very versatile skill. It can be modded to be used either as primary attack combat art, or as supporting one. Usage: - damage and area of effect damage - multi-hitting (up to 3 fireballs) - up to 2 homing fireballs

I think this will suffice without overburdening you with extra work - but I have no problem just copy-pasting everything I add in the proper section if you decide to re-organize the pages.

Edited by Dobri

Sweet!

And you're right, it doesn't overburden anyone by putting in the info there. Dobri, thanks for this work. Looking forward to seeing it on the wiki, as I'm sure other players will as well.

Time permitting, I'm sure we can change the template and and even put the native elemental damages into their own field.

Right now what you've done is going to be a good addition.

Cheers!

gogo

Wonderful. When you manage to do the reorganization, just let me know - I'll get to work straight away. But you're right - the info is useful, and will help a lot of people :(

Just read through all your additions. Dobri, you are amazing man. This is very useful information. If I have some time today after doing laundry, maybe I'll figger out a new line to add into the template. Or, if anyone has time, we can probably add a new "field" into the template just above skills?

This would gve for a faster, more "documented-looking" read.

:)

gogo

I totally support your idea. I still have a lot of work on the CAs (3 chars actually) - although I do have all the chars created, I don't have runes for all of their offensive skills :) I'll do that though. I think I have some stashed here in SP. The char level shouldn't matter, since the CA damage type is only affected by item modifiers (lava rocks, ice crystals and such) and CA modifiers.

I'd love to try my hand at making a new field, but I'm not that familiar with wiki code at all and I really don't want to spoil something :P So I'd better let you or Schot do it, just to be on the safe side here.

Here check out what I did on this page here Dobri. I just added a field in after I pressed Edit on the page, and then cut your info out and stuck it in the new field.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacre...estral_Fireball

What do you think? Easy enough to do for all the pages you've added your info to? You can copy and paste my field description into CA pages and it will go in lickty split fast :)

Also I called the new field, Native Elemental Damage Type

Do you like that description?

Got something better or is it okay?

:P

gogo

It looks ok gogo, however I'm wondering if maybe grabbing a picture of the damage bar for the CA might not be best, at least for non-weapon based damage. Like that you could show the proportions dealt. Since Phys+Fire is nice, but Incendiary is the same, but in a different proportion.

Yes, good idea Zin. Probably better...but I hate cutting out pix :) For now though, until we can rope schot or someone else into doing this, we can at least have the words, and then one day hopefully we'll have the pics. YO're right, the proportions could be a nice addition as well.

:P

gogo

I think it's fine - the only thing that comes to mind is that "Combat art damage type" I came up and used yesterday. I think native is much more comprehensible. If you want, I can start copy-pasting this for the skills I added that info yesterday.

Edited by Dobri

Slight hold on this guys. I have a template rewrite I'll put together real quick so in the meantime we'll hold off on those changes. Though at the pace Dobri's going we'll probably have to revert them, lol.

LOL, I almost finished it :)

Feel free to revert it, and don't worry. Doing it is really quick, so no big deal.

Do you want me to stop?

EDIT: Anyway, I'm done :P

Edited by Dobri

Great info, Dob thank you for sacrificing precious Saturday morning time for us.

Schot's now working on his template, it's gonna look good I'm sure, and we can then work with that.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

So sorry for that Dobri but thank you very much none the less. I didn't have a chance to discuss the changes with gogo until it was too late. I'll catch him quicker next time. Or he'll catch me. ^^

As soon as I've made the first CA template edit I'll post here. :)

Okee Dokee

Here's our new setup. I went a step further and decided to add not just the damage type but any characteristics that a CA begins with at level 1. Here's an example screenshot for Ancestral Fireball that I just worked on.

th_CArestructure.jpg

Keep in mind the little damage image I put on it is not a priority. I can add them all if need be. Here's the typed adjustment made to that page:

Before Adjustment: (See Old Page)

==Aspect==
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff165/SacredWiki/Sacred_2/Aspects/HE_Asp_01.png - '''Arrant Pyromancer'''

After Adjustment: (See New Page)

{|width="100%"
|width="25%" valign="top"|
==Aspect==
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff165/SacredWiki/Sacred_2/Aspects/HE_Asp_01.png - '''Arrant Pyromancer'''

|width="75%" valign="top"|
==Innate Abilities (level 1) http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff165/SacredWiki/Sacred_2/CombatArts/HE/afdmg.jpg==
* Single Fireball
* Does 25% Physical and 75% Fire Damage.
* Percent of Fire damage increases per CA level
|}

Essentially, any and all level 1 characteristics should go in that new section. So for example Grand Invigoration won't have damage but will have Health Regeneration and Spell regeneration. Exact numbers can be used if they are coming from a Level 1 character with Level 1 CA and no armor, shields and weapons on. Suggestions are welcome of course. :)

I think you sort of overdid it :) It's great, but would now require starting 6 new chars, each one with full complement of runes for their offensive skills. I'll have to farm a lot for runes now in order to do it. It's going to take a lot of time.

No need to do it all at once Dobri. I have all the level 1 HE info already so don't worry about that one. Unfortunately the info other than damage is a necessary evil. People who have never played Sacred 2 before will need that basic info and I've been embarrassed for quite a while that we didn't have it. Especially for players trying to decide which character they want to play for the first time. But for starters the damage type is just fine. :) My main concern was the placement of the info across all the CA pages and how it should look.

Agreed :) Your point is excellent, I was just worried I couldn't do it as quickly as I hoped to... But it will be much more informative, and much better.