Grim Dawn - PC

grimdawnbycrate.jpg

Grim Dawn is still pre-pre-pre-alpha and I might have even missed a pre.

title_aboutintroduction.gif

Grim Dawn is an action role-playing game intended for digital distribution on the PC. It is being developed by veterans of Iron Lore entertainment, the makers of Titan Quest. Grim Dawn is being built with Crate's own improved version of the Iron Lore engine and toolset; the same technology used to create Titan Quest. As a spiritual successor, Grim Dawn will attempt to better perfect the magical formula of exploration, character advancement, and loot collection pioneered by Diablo.

Players will be thrust into the dark, war-torn world of Cairn where a once proud empire has been brought to ruin and the human race driven to the edge of extinction. Cairn has become ground zero of an eternal war between two otherworldly powers, one seeking to use human bodies as a resource, the other intent upon destroying the human race before that can happen. This cataclysmic war has not only decimated human civilization but is warping the very fabric of reality and, in its wake, giving life to new horrors.

For humankind it is the dawn of a grim new age where iron has replaced gold as currency and the importance of salt as a weapon makes it far too valuable to waste on food. Small enclaves of human survivors exist scattered throughout the world, holed up in hidden refuges. These humans have quietly watched the warring invaders destroy one another and have become wise to the strengths and vulnerabilities of their otherworldly foes. A few survivors have begun to exhibit strange new abilities after surviving possession or exposure to the warp. These unnatural powers are feared by some but give many new hope of launching a resistance to fight the "outsiders" and reclaim what's left of their world.

title_aboutfeaturelist.gif

• Combine any of five distinct skill classes each with multiple skill trees in which to specialize. Advance your class mastery up to 75 levels to unlock dozens of powerful skills and synergistic modifiers. New classes will be periodically released through downloadable content.
  • Gameplay systems design for 200 levels of character progression, equipment, and enemies to fight makes for ridiculous amounts of replay value.
  • Connect with old friends or make new allies in glorious multiplayer. Specially balanced multiplayer encounters will put your teamwork to the ultimate challenge.
  • Collect blueprints that allow you to combine salvaged components into unique crafted items and then, later, use those basic crafted items with higher-tiered recipes to complete items of unprecedented badassness.
  • Camera rotation enhances the three-dimensionality of the world and gameplay while levels are still designed so that players are not forced to rotate the camera.
  • Refined loot system drops less junk items and ensures more consistent rewards from hero and boss monsters.
  • Satisfying enemy damage and death effects with an option to enable blood and gore.
  • The ability to spend money to reclaim skill and attribute points alleviates the fear and frustration of having to make early, uninformed decisions that could permanently nerf a character.
  • More features are in the works and will be announced as Grim Dawn nears release.

title_aboutfaq.gif

What is Grim Dawn?

Grim Dawn is an action-RPG for the PC currently being developed by veterans of Iron Lore Entertainment, the creators of Titan Quest. The game is set in a thematically-dark fictional world loosely inspired by the Victorian Era on earth. Grim Dawn is being developed with the same tools and technology used to create Titan Quest. As a spiritual successor to Titan Quest and proud Diablo-clone, Grim Dawn will carry forward the best gameplay of this genre while bringing a few focused innovations and improvements of our own to the table.

Will Grim Dawn be based in history / mythology?

No, Grim Dawn will be set in a unique fictional world that is loosely inspired by the Victorian Era but is not meant to actually take place on Earth, mythological or otherwise. A lot of effort has gone into the development of a deep story-world with a rich history, unique characters and intriguing subplots. The setting will be “thematically” darker in terms of mood and environment but, don't worry, unlike many games set in post-apocalyptic style worlds, Grim Dawn won't be a burnt out, gray wasteland.

Where can I buy Grim Dawn and how much will it cost?

We plan to release Grim Dawn on Steam and through other digital distribution sites for about $20. In addition to this, you can also buy the game now from our website and download it directly from us when it releases. By purchasing directly from us now, your money will help fund our development and make Grim Dawn a better game. We may also release a box-copy to be sold in stores at some point but we have not yet worked out all the details.

What is this talk of downloadable content?

When many people hear the term downloadable content they are filled with fear and rage. They imagine having to charge $0.50 to their credit cards everytime they buy a new item. This is not what we imagine. This is a downloadable game, so it makes sense that when we release expansion packs, they will also be downloadable. These expansions will be similar to a normal boxed game-expansion in that they will generally contain new story elements, classes, enemies, items, and new regions of the world to explore.

Will Grim Dawn have multiplayer?

Absolutely! You will be able to group up with family and friends to take on the world of Grim Dawn just as you could in Titan Quest. In addition, we intend to release high-end multiplayer challenges especially designed and balanced for group play.

How will character classes work?

We plan to release with 5 skill classes, each containing several skill trees. Additional skill classes will be introduced through downloadable add-ons. Players will be able to combine any two skill classes to explore powerful synergies that exist between the skill trees of different classes and experience the varying gameplay styles of each class build. It will be impossible to max out all the skills from two classes, so there will be plenty of experimentation to find the best way to allocate your points. Don't worry though, if you aren't satisfied with your build, you will be able to spend money to reclaim spent skill points.

Will Grim Dawn have tons of sweet loot?

Does a bear FECAL MATTER! in the woods?! We have made many improvements to our item drop and randomization system with far more custom-crafted magical, rare, and even unique bonuses. We have also made several improvements to the loot dropping system to ensure more consistent rewards and less junk cluttering up the screen / inventory. Last but certainly not least, we're introducing a new item crafting system based off collectible recipes and rare crafting components that drop in the world.

If I buy from you directly, can I still play on Steam?

To release on Steam, we must first submit a demo of the game for approval. It is hard to imagine that Grim Dawn wouldn't be approved but, of course, we can't say it is guaranteed at this point. Once approved, we believe it will be possible to work out a deal for existing orders to be carried over to Steam as has been done with other indie developers such as Wolfire's Overgrowth: http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/02/overgrowth-faq/#q10

As I said though, we fully expect this will be the case but we obviously can't guarantee it until it happens.

Will Grim Dawn use DRM that TOTALLY screws me over?!

Our goal is to screw you over as little as possible with DRM. We don't plan to use any DRM in our direct downloadable version of the game. If we work out a distribution deal for a boxed copy with a publisher, they may have their own DRM requirements but it is something we will fight to avoid.

I don't know if people would consider this DRM or not but one thing we are planning to do is authenticate your game-key in order to join multiplayer match-making on services like Steam. If you have a legitimate retail copy of the game, you shouldn't even notice this. It will have no effect on LAN or single player.

title_media.gif

2010-05-26_necropolis01_sml.jpg

2010-05-26_burrwitch01_sml.jpg

2010-05-07_necropolis01_sml.jpg

2010mar17_village02_sml.jpg

title_contributeshowyoursupport.gif

As an exciting new feature, Grim Dawn accounts can be purchased before it is finalized. This will increase their budget, but there are also benefits for the early birds.

Higher level purchases offer access to alpha and beta stages, addition to the game's credits and even an in-game accessory.

gd_buynormal.gif

• Direct-download the full game
  • Knowing you made the world a little better

gd_buyepic.gif

• Entry to beta
  • Your name in the credits!
  • TBA in-game accessory
  • Bragging rights

gd_buylegendary.gif

• Entry to alpha and beta
  • Your name in the credits!
  • TBA in-game accessory
  • Holy reverence

Purchase information can be found on http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute_buynow02.php

Official website

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Official Forum

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/

It looks great! I really liked Titan Quest, so I'll follow their work.

Thanks for this info Timo! :)

Max

Ah.... great, woo hoo another diablo knock off...and fro TQ peeps too. I don't get it ...they talk about alpha beta... is this game for sale now? Or is it something we're pre ordering?

Is it gonna be out fore Sacred 3?

:P

gogo

Ah.... great, woo hoo another diablo knock off...and fro TQ peeps too. I don't get it ...they talk about alpha beta... is this game for sale now? Or is it something we're pre ordering?

Is it gonna be out fore Sacred 3?

:P

gogo

Currently it's in pre(pre pre pre pre pre :D)-alpha stage.

To help fund and develop the game, they have created quite an unique system to pre-order this game.

You are able to pre-order, which you have to pay in advance. This will increase the budget and help testing and developing the game.

There are 3 types of games available at this point.

The normal one is pretty much similar to pre-ordering at any other store, but you have to pay up front.

And there is a more expensive one, which will include your name in the credits and lets you have a place as a beta-tester, in addition to receiving a to-be-announced exclusive in-game item.

The most expensive one also gives you the ability to play the game in alpha-stage, in addition to the previous benefits.

Edited by Timotheus
To help fund and develop the game, they have created quite an unique system to pre-order this game.

You are able to pre-order, which you have to pay in advance. This will increase the budget and help testing and developing the game.

Sorry, and despite all the love and support I'm willing to share for any type of game that looks it might turn into an h&s arpg,

this is something I will never ever do (again).

never buying a game again I havent been able to play it's demo or retail, or at least not before reading various independent reviews of the full game first.

I'll spare you the (if I were about to buy a car...) analogy, but I just won't do..

I'm willing to support them by alpha- or beta-testing, or discussing things on their forum, even attending strange superstitious rituals every full moon night,

I'd even be willing to not change my underwear for a week (blah^^ I'll have to reconsider that)

but I WON'T buy something in advance

when it's unclear when (or even if) it's going to be released, not to mention it's condition/state at that point then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway, monitoring Grim Dawn on my radar for months now, it's bookmarked next to

Magicka (Arrowhead Game Studios)

from the interviews, while trying to be some sort of arpg,

they plan to give it quite a humourous touch, with inside-jokes on many arpg styled games, as well as general TV/mystery/fantasy/sci fi persiflage..

gfx looks already old now even before release, but that I could live with, if the rest is interesting..

Inquisitor (cinemax ? / wooden dragon ? )

it is said they're working on it over 10 years now.. and yepp, it really does look like that, check the 'ancient' gfx!

why I like it, is that it surprisingly looks somehow so similar like the old Sacred 1.. from gfx.. animation looks worse even to standards that were up-to date 10 years back from now..

there's not much action in the battles you can see in the videos, donno.. but still, might have it's own appealing retro-charme

Metal Black Alternative (NCSoft)

reminds me of Greed, or Counterstrike 2D... and WASD-movement, paired with shoot&bomb elements...

like it because it's Sci Fi setting, not that fantasy/mythology stuff I'm bored of atm (sacred1/WoW/most singleplayer RPG's etc)

Death Spank (HotHead Games)

FUN. ACTION. CRAZY. Monkey Island / Ron Gilbert.

true, these might not be in classic diablo/sacred h&s arpg style, but somehow each of them has something somehow close to it.. not sure if and when all will ever be released..

especially around Magicka , Inquisitor and Metal Black Alternative it has been very silent recently.. too silent ?

wish all the above good luck, may they be a success, or at least released at all..

edit: ofc also monitoring Mythos, Sacred 3 , Diablo III..

Edited by Rotluchs

I've seen that DeathSpank somewhere before, I find it looks a tad like Torchlight with the cell-shaded graphics and all.

Seems to be an awesome game and a lot of fun, I can see me playing that as well :)

Regarding Grim Dawn: I wouldn't get my money into it either at this point. That's all I have to say about it, I think everyone knows why it's a bad thing to do that with games in this stage...

Edited by Timotheus

Loved Titan Quest and almost visited their studios (only 70 miles away). Unfortunately real life got in the way. Loved everything about TQ except the lacked of closed servers. It was a shame they had to close down .

I'm really intrigued by this game and would love to show my support but I need a few questions answered before I commit any money.

Already asking for cash when you don't even have a video up? Seems like they are relying on the success of TQ to sway users. That's a bit presumptuous.

I'd be more than willing to shell out the cash if I could jump straight into the alpha today.

Been thinking more on this...just registered on forum and see medierra is there (TQ Dev). Just popped off a PM to him. Depending on his reply, I may just bite the bullet and pre-order the game. I guess I can be the guinea pig for FDM and give all of you an idea of what the game is like/progress made. Will just have to read the NDA and make sure of what I can or cannot talk about.

edit: medierra already messaged me back and it looks like the NDA will be pretty relaxed as far as disseminating any info including screenshots. From what I've read so far any actual testing is still weeks/months away but I can make a running blog or something updating the progress if anyone is interested.

I registered with Grim Dawn. Tryed to search through the threads for info..... how confirmed are we that if I pay $48 that I'll actually get to help test in the Alpha and Beta for this game?

I registered with Grim Dawn. Tryed to search through the threads for info..... how confirmed are we that if I pay $48 that I'll actually get to help test in the Alpha and Beta for this game?

Well it pretty much is still in the open. I mean, some games get shot down during development.

As it's still in quite an early stage, I'd say it's too early to tell.

Thanks Timo, I wait to hear more from Knuckles about this. Sounds like he has an inside angle there.

• 1 year later...

Sorry, and despite all the love and support I'm willing to share for any type of game that looks it might turn into an h&s arpg,

H&S arpg ?! .............health and safety arpg ! surely not !! :Just_Cuz_21:

From what I've seen on the official site it's looks sweet so far.

Steve.

The game would be perfect if it had closed hardcore servers but as far as I know the multiplayer side will be similar to Titan Quest's co-op.

What is Titanquest's co op like...does it mean the company pays for servers to host games?

There are no closed servers for Titan Quest. Only some kind of open-net.

Max

Ha !

I kinda forgot about this lol....guess I need to go check in over at the forum :)

And to answer an old question in this thread. If you pre-pay you will be involved in the beta's.

I can check on the servers...there was a big discussion on it at one point. The one thing TQ let me down on was no Hardcore and no closed servers. Hopefully Grim Dawn will be different.

One of the monsters

dranghoul.jpg

It's that last trailer that has gotten me very interested in this game. lol it looks like an early version of Diablo 3 :bounce:

MP is important though...so if there are no company servers... it means we have to host each other on our own computers?

What's the lag like with that

:twitch:

gogo