Jump to content


gogoblender

Food glorious food - What are you eating

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Androdion said:

So yesterday I finally got to try out the mustard seeds we bought some time ago, both black and white. I tried roasting them a bit and then fry some fish and cover with cream. It gave it a decent flavour but it wasn't "that" flavour if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to better use those seeds to cook? I tried googling a bit about it but I couldn't find very precise answers, it's mostly about the general use of them.

I know what you mean by "that" flavor... getting on point with delicate food profiles is like the difference tween rose madder and ...rose  :lol:

perhaps Theuns can help?

@Delta!

Food is ...magical

:theuns:

gogo

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
 
8 hours ago, Androdion said:

So yesterday I finally got to try out the mustard seeds we bought some time ago, both black and white. I tried roasting them a bit and then fry some fish and cover with cream. It gave it a decent flavour but it wasn't "that" flavour if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to better use those seeds to cook? I tried googling a bit about it but I couldn't find very precise answers, it's mostly about the general use of them.

Mustard seeds are great for infusions, and/or for making crusts on things like salmon or steak. You can fry them off briefly in very hot oil, just enough to crack them open. Or you can infuse them in oil or champagne for use as a condiment once you've pulsed/blended them. We've been experimenting with vacuum sealing things like pork and chicken breasts coated with different spice mixtures. That way the flavor gets forced into the meat properly. We're just enjoying a dinner made from sous-vide pork that was spiced with garlic and soy sauce, and then cooked right in the vacuum bag! Mustard seeds would be PERFECT for that!

  • Appreciation 1

Share this post


Link to post
 
11 minutes ago, Delta! said:

Mustard seeds are great for infusions, and/or for making crusts on things like salmon or steak. You can fry them off briefly in very hot oil, just enough to crack them open. Or you can infuse them in oil or champagne for use as a condiment once you've pulsed/blended them. We've been experimenting with vacuum sealing things like pork and chicken breasts coated with different spice mixtures. That way the flavor gets forced into the meat properly. We're just enjoying a dinner made from sous-vide pork that was spiced with garlic and soy sauce, and then cooked right in the vacuum bag! Mustard seeds would be PERFECT for that!

I just love your answer Theuns... Love when Pro Chefs write about food... small details like *crack them open* ... 

now i know why I'll never dare cook for family and friends!

:lol:

gogo

 

p.s. I also asked my mom about this...she used to use mustards seed in curry's? she would fry the seeds in oil with onions and assorted other secret (sri lankan! :lol: )   ingredients to pull out that flavor for the curry... i especially remember them being in Dah... sorry Androdion, no help for your fish...but I do appreciate tis trip down nostalgia lane here guys  :drool: 

Share this post


Link to post
 
4 hours ago, Delta! said:

Mustard seeds are great for infusions, and/or for making crusts on things like salmon or steak. You can fry them off briefly in very hot oil, just enough to crack them open. Or you can infuse them in oil or champagne for use as a condiment once you've pulsed/blended them. We've been experimenting with vacuum sealing things like pork and chicken breasts coated with different spice mixtures. That way the flavor gets forced into the meat properly. We're just enjoying a dinner made from sous-vide pork that was spiced with garlic and soy sauce, and then cooked right in the vacuum bag! Mustard seeds would be PERFECT for that!

You just made me hungry, and I've finished eating not so long ago! :D

So both of you say that it's best to fry them in oil (or grease for that matter) instead of roasting them dry on a frying pan? I went a bit Jamie Oliver with roasting the seeds I reckon, but if the idea is to hydrate them in order to release the flavours then I guess that a kind of grease would work much better yes. Soy sauce and mustard seeds? Mustard seed in a curry paste? Oh my oh my, the brain is lighting up! I need to run a few experiments with these.

I'm also thinking about making chicken parm with the seeds mixed with the bread crumbs. That should be interesting. :)

Any pointers on using either white or black mustard seeds for this or that?

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
 
12 hours ago, Androdion said:

You just made me hungry, and I've finished eating not so long ago! :D

So both of you say that it's best to fry them in oil (or grease for that matter) instead of roasting them dry on a frying pan? I went a bit Jamie Oliver with roasting the seeds I reckon, but if the idea is to hydrate them in order to release the flavours then I guess that a kind of grease would work much better yes. Soy sauce and mustard seeds? Mustard seed in a curry paste? Oh my oh my, the brain is lighting up! I need to run a few experiments with these.

I'm also thinking about making chicken parm with the seeds mixed with the bread crumbs. That should be interesting. :)

Any pointers on using either white or black mustard seeds for this or that?

Unlimited options!  I didnt know mustard seeds were so useful actually.  I remember waaaaaaaaaaay long ago when I was on my own calling my mom and getting ideas for cooking from her, and buying a jar of mustard seeds... things stayed years in my cupboard...just couldnt get my head space around it...but family I asked yesterday said they are very important for cooking at least Sri Lankan profile food... enter the Dahl... it just wouldnt taste right or *correct* without it.

We do something called "tempering"... thats the part where you roast a medley of spices in hot oil and onions to develop flavor and then toss, cook or stir it in to anything you're making...

the super hero sauce

:superman:

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
 

Sounds like a nice base for a stir fry. I'll have to try it. Must it be oil or can it be other type of grease?

Share this post


Link to post
 

Mustard seeds, in order of use:

99% we use them for green manure. Mustard seed is put on harvested areas in the garden. It grews fast (at least in our climate) and covers the ground. Frost will destroy the plants but they rot on the ground and prevent soil erosion, dying of worms, .... In spring a spade is used to mix the rotten rests with the earth. The deep roots loosen the soil and the rotten plants reduce the need of fertilizer by a big amount.

The rest 1%: marinades, making own mustard, pestos, pickled cucumbers, sausages....

 

For sharpness the seeds have to be cracked (roasting, mortar, ...) and need water so the buildin encymes can work on the proteins to transform them into sharpness. So when needing water: the longer you roast the less water is in the seeds. if the roasted seeds are in oil they get not much water. They will loose taste.

 

For marinades I do a short roast and they get and spread the taste in the water containing marinade.

For mustard:

For spicing meals we make our own variant of anchovy-mustard. We make a paste from anchovies, mustard seeds, own fruit vinegar, sugar  and salt. Think we discussed the use of anchovy just a few posts ago?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
 
 

yah spoke to my mom about it...she says that doing throwing in mustard, onion cloves and cardamon is the profile for our meat dishes, oh yah and cinnamon

:D
 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
  • Create New...