What does the recovery elixir actually do?

• 10 months later...

The question is how does it do this:

Will it do a thing like an energy shield with the difference that it only works for burn/poison and is only refreshed by a new potion? How long will the effect last?

So if it reads 30000 hitpoints and I quaff it, will the next 30000 damage of poison/burn ticks not hitting me?

Or is there a timer, so I have to drink a new one from time to time?

Or is it only in effect after I am poisoned already and quaff it after being it?

Or is it not worth the hassle and just sell it and forget it?

If it only works after you have been 'infected' it is virtually useless since by the time I have finished killing what ever infected me (so it doesn't kill me while I am looking for treatment) and reached for the potion, the infection has already run its course!

The corresponding bonus is:

newBonus = {
--  name = "sb_power_mend_dot",
 rating = 26,
 basedonskill = "SKILL_INVALID",
 type = "BONUS_NEUTRALIZE_DOT",
 spez = "",
 spez2 = "",
 usagebits = 65535,
 minconstraints = {1,1,0},
 difficultyvaluerange0 = {0,1250,1250},
 difficultyvaluerange1 = {1,1250,1250},
 difficultyvaluerange2 = {2,1250,1250},
 difficultyvaluerange3 = {3,1250,1250},
 difficultyvaluerange4 = {4,1250,1250},
}
mgr.createBonus(574, newBonus);

BONUS_NEUTRALIZE_DOT is a unique bonus only attributed to these potions. Cant say much about the modus operandi from this, though.

Hmmm, you know, this is the first time I'm sitting down to "grok" this elixir's effects. I'm looking carefully at Trust's writeup on the Wiki... I hate socketing DOT gear...I'm such a damage meister, yeah I've lost a couple of mounts to this ;)

I I'm going to run some tests on Plat and Niob Spids in swamp HC to see if learning how to work with this strategy is worth while....or just instead keep my aiming and timing skills honed... killing the spid that poisons you before you die has always been the way for me.

:)

gogo

The question is how does it do this:

Will it do a thing like an energy shield with the difference that it only works for burn/poison and is only refreshed by a new potion? How long will the effect last?

So if it reads 30000 hitpoints and I quaff it, will the next 30000 damage of poison/burn ticks not hitting me?

Or is there a timer, so I have to drink a new one from time to time?

Or is it only in effect after I am poisoned already and quaff it after being it?

Ok, so looking at the code Czervak posted,

The corresponding bonus is:

newBonus = {
--  name = "sb_power_mend_dot",
 rating = 26,
 basedonskill = "SKILL_INVALID",
 type = "BONUS_NEUTRALIZE_DOT",
 spez = "",
 spez2 = "",
 usagebits = 65535,
 minconstraints = {1,1,0},
 difficultyvaluerange0 = {0,1250,1250},
 difficultyvaluerange1 = {1,1250,1250},
 difficultyvaluerange2 = {2,1250,1250},
 difficultyvaluerange3 = {3,1250,1250},
 difficultyvaluerange4 = {4,1250,1250},
}
mgr.createBonus(574, newBonus);

BONUS_NEUTRALIZE_DOT is a unique bonus only attributed to these potions. Cant say much about the modus operandi from this, though.

This is totally guessing... and since Czevak cannot tell us from looking at the code, I doubt myself when I suggest this:

The green potions have no duration. When you use one, you get an "energy shield" like Chattius' proposed, which is good for X amount of DoT damage (how that is calculated, I don't know... Chattius noticed it was 25% of hitpoints, then modified by Alchemy somehow?).

Using another potion re-sets the "shield" so that you cannot "stack" recovery elixir effects. This is the same way the mentor and concentration potions work.

I don't think you need to have DoT against you first, you can quaff one anytime, and it works against the next DoT to affect you. Remember there are magic (T-energy pools, Levin Array) and maybe cold (?) DoT effects as well, I would assume the green potions work for those as well.

Debate!

Edited by essjayehm

So: to test, you could find yourself a pool of T-Energy... kill all opponents around it...

and take a little dip. Watch the DoT ticks, count'em, write down the values.

Then... drink a potion, dip and record until the numbers go up again.

Alternatively, you could take a dip, and then drink and record.

Or is it not worth the hassle and just sell it and forget it?

If it only works after you have been 'infected' it is virtually useless since by the time I have finished killing what ever infected me (so it doesn't kill me while I am looking for treatment) and reached for the potion, the infection has already run its course!

I tend to agree with you podgie. It does seem to "instantly" remove the effects of poison at low character levels while fighting but most of the time my toon gets over being poisoned two steps after killing whatever poisoned it. I don't know how well it works at high levels as none of my toons have hit level 100 yet. (I'm running 7 of them.) Any body out there willing to do as FrostElfGuard suggests to test out how this works. Will quaffing a potion first prevent damage or will it only heal once the damage is done? I won't be near any T-energy pools for a while in SP campaign mode.

Let's go swimming

Let's go swimming

Scotty jumps into the (t-energy) pool... (Niob difficulty with 0 magic armour)

Experiment:

Jump in the pool, and I get 5 ticks of damage. Each tick was 11 damage. If I pop a green potion (with 1200-ish "Neutralize DoT"), the ticks stop, but when I move, and incur a new DoT, the ticks re-appear. Popping a potion and then jumping in the pool, the ticks appear the same as when I didn't use a potion.

Conclusion:

Using a recovery elixir will stop the current DoT, but expires when that DoT stops affecting you. Using a potion before the DoT is inflicted has NO EFFECT, essentially the potion is wasted.

Wow. I knew these potions were near-useless, but not this bad. Probably the most-useless potion in Sacred 2... well aside from Roast Joint Trophies, which I never saw any effect from, ever (3 or 4 toons with Alchemy).

I would like to see this test done on Ice and Blood / Community Patch versions!

Let's go swimming

Let's go swimming

Scotty jumps into the (t-energy) pool... (Niob difficulty with 0 magic armour)

Conclusion:

Using a recovery elixir will stop the current DoT, but expires when that DoT stops affecting you. Using a potion before the DoT is inflicted has NO EFFECT, essentially the potion is wasted.

Wow. I knew these potions were near-useless, but not this bad. Probably the most-useless potion in Sacred 2... well aside from Roast Joint Trophies, which I never saw any effect from, ever (3 or 4 toons with Alchemy).

I would like to see this test done on Ice and Blood / Community Patch versions!

Thanks Scotty; you confirmed my and probably others suspicion that the recovery potion only works once you are "damaged". Since I usually have good poison armor my toons rarely suffer more than a few hitpoints before the effects of the poison wear off.