Apple's new iPad...

Scrappy McSlap

Despite having the worst name ever conceived for a gadget, it does look like a pretty cool device. Check it out here: http://www.apple.com/

I've said a few times that if I could have my ipod touch connected to a fully functional keyboard and somehow make the ipod's screen bigger, I probably wouldn't need my desktop anymore.... (old school gaming aside, yes?). This device allows me to do that.

I may very well wind up buying into the hype and getting one... we'll see.

Thoughts on this thing? You can watch the heavily marketed video or the keynote speech for all of the details on it.

A bit of a disappointment. It's an Ipod with a bigger screen, that's pretty much it.

In my opinion, it's too small to be a desktop/laptop replacement, and the lack of a keyboard makes it less useful as a netbook.

1264943955-880.jpg

1264943996-510.jpg

1264944033-340.png

(Iphone)

Edited by Timotheus

heh, nice first pic timo.

I'd say...I don't know where this would fit in my life. If I had to pick only one I'd pick the iphone not an itablet. So where does that leave us with purchase placement? It's certainly not powerful enough to be a desktop...yet. But I guess for someone who has a ton of money, yah...carrying around one of these instead of picking up a free newspaper at the corner train station will have some value and definitely roll a few eyeballs our way.

Course... we'd have to pay big for all the stuff that'd grace this beauty's page, and I've been getting it for free in my local daily which is handed out free and which we recycle.

All I could think of when watching Steven Jobs' presentation was how he was just selling content, news, tv channels ...

They're not just trying to sell us new hardware...they're also trying to sell us the concept of paying for what we're already getting for free.

:)

gogo

I think ipad is just a wast of money from my point of view......

as an e-book reader I think it does the job pretty well....... but as a pc replacement it's just crap :P

I just dont see it's utility.......and the lack of multitasking is just :) stupid (and no camera, no wifi and other normal features)

I am curious about it's utility as well. I don't see it yet too. I can see it being there for novelty and showing off...especially for people that have large incomes. For them, having pieces of hardware that segue in between let's say a heavy desktop and a phone there could be "space" for use...but at that point, wouldn't this be competing in the realm of lap tops?

heh, I don't think this thing is ready to go head to head with a lap top yet... perhaps the important word being... yet?

:)

gogo

The biggest design failure to me is a lack of USB, and the fact that it isn't running OSx or some variant of it.

It will need good apps to make it a workable product...

As an E-Reader, it's expensive.

As a laptop, it's underpowered and unsuited due to the OS and interface problems.

As an Iphone/Ipod, it's just too big.

IMO it's trying to be everything but failing completely.

The biggest design failure to me is a lack of USB, and the fact that it :twitch:isn't running OSx or some variant of it.

It will need good apps to make it a workable product... As an E-Reader, it's expensive.

As a laptop, it's underpowered and unsuited due to the OS and interface problems.

As an Iphone/Ipod, it's just too big.

IMO it's trying to be everything but failing completely.

Completely agree with you Timo. A netbook is a much better option. Apple seem to have got this one wrong but who knows, with the following they have it will probably sell by the bucket load even if it's overpriced crap :(

They are also selling it as a gaming platform but for the life of me I can't understand why they don't include a small anolouge stick(like on a PSP) and a few buttons. Ilove the iphone but the lack of a stick/buttons is a pain in the arse. Most games use a virtual pad which means your fingers cover the playing area. With the bigger size of the ipad it could have easily had a stick and a few buttons without spoiling the design.

Edited by Dobster
  • 1 month later...

:lol:

Sorry Llama, their desktops and laptops are awesome, but regarding the iPhone/iPad my opinions are somewhat different :yay:

Especially regarding the latter one. But that's probably obvious by now. Har har har.

• 4 months later...

The 3G iPad is really part of a brand-new gadget category. Devices that can bring you any kind of content anywhere and at any time. IPad and iPhone quality visual performance, and 10 hour battery life unmatched by any current-generation Apple product, or most competitors. Good for book and periodical reading, strong for web and video viewing, more capable of content creation than iPods and iPhones. Supports 720p HD video playback, and many more features are available.

The 3G iPad is really part of a brand-new gadget category. Devices that can bring you any kind of content anywhere and at any time. IPad and iPhone quality visual performance, and 10 hour battery life unmatched by any current-generation Apple product, or most competitors. Good for book and periodical reading, strong for web and video viewing, more capable of content creation than iPods and iPhones. Supports 720p HD video playback, and many more features are available.

You bought one? :)

Yeah, the Ipad is such a hot seller that it is literally hot! The thing tends to overheat and there are complaints of it burning fingers holding it. Guess you can use it a body warmer if you get stuck out in the wilderness.