Silearth's adventures

Had a bit of trouble last week. Was driving to work when I started to feel like I may pass out. Then my feet went numb. I pulled over about 3 miles from work and got out of the car and then BAM! I was on the ground.

Another driver called 911 while yet another driver sat with me to make sure that I stayed awake. Never saw their faces, but I did thank them before I was loaded into the ambulance. They did a number of tests and couldn't find anything wrong. I have to make a follow up appointment with my doctor.

I noticed that it always starts with pressure in both ankles and then a painful burning that rises to both knees. After that, my legs feel week and I start to get short of breath.

One strange thing about me is I've got the off-beat sense of humor and it is always going--no matter my condition. I can find things to laugh about even when riding in the back of an ambulance with an IV in my arm and an oxygen mask strapped to my face. But this time was different and I really thought that I was going to die. Some kid was brought in by a security guard who never left his bed. The guy looked to be 100 years old and I could see him from my bed. It was like he was staring at me. At one point I started to wonder if everyone could see him or was he really there for me. Funny, what goes through your head in moments of stress.

When I talked to the ER doc, I mentioned that it was funny that I am still having these sorts of problems after all the work I've done to get healthy--193 pounds as of yesterday.

Wow... that's bloody scary! Hopefully the doctors can give you a rough idea of what's going on. Nothing worse than trying to piece it together in your own head and being more stressed out about it...

Good luck! Get a lot of rest. :P

Oh Sil. How unfair that of all your recent successes in health that this should happen. I really hope it turns out to be something easily rectified. This has happened to you before in smaller doses Sil? You described the sensation as if you've had it several times. Do you or the doc have any inklings on what it may be? I'm hoping for dehydration!

Woah! Sil, I hope you're holding out okay...and I also hope that you don't let down your guard or vigor in your path here.

Keep with that humor, and...maybe bake some bread with the kids...I remember last time you talked about that how happy it made you.

Stay strong!

:)

gogo

dang Sil....

make sure you get checked out...mri...cat scan etc....sounds like you might have some nerve damage somewhere...my right leg goes numb/heats up after driving for a bit if I'm not on my meds...though I never had shortness of breath...I had to have a Myelogram for them to detect my issue. keep us posted on how everything goes.

Hmm, don't know if this may be the same for you but. I got into college for an interview thingy, and was really out of breath and collapsed infront of the curriculum admin people. First aider comes along and talks to me for a while, then says it's probably to do with me having nothing to eat before I left, and I had no blood sugars in me. So this could go for you aswell, maybe you were tired and rushed out into your car or something. but if it keeps happening, and you are eating properly before you leave then I don't know ^_^

Well I've got an appointment this Friday to follow up.

I eat 3 meals a day. Breakfast is always at 7:30 in the morning when I get to work. I keep a tin of almonds in the office for snacking.

I've had most of the tests--had my heart tested, done the treadmill, had highblood pressure and high cholesteral and high sugar. I was hoping that losing nearly 50 pounds would take care of all of my problems.

Yesterday I was in the files at work and my feet started to go numb and then the pain and burning started creeping up. No one could see me and I was getting weaker and weaker. I tried to ignore it and just keep going, but it was too hard. I was fine again within an hour.

@gogo. Haven't really made any bread in some time. I don't eat it any more. I did make a cake that got rave reviews for a recent pot luck at work. I didn't eat any myself, but I heard it was great. Now talk about turning the tables; my kids cooked my diner last night. They made baso soup with veggies. It was pretty good.

So I am just waiting for my appointment in two days. Still doing my daily mile with my friends; afraid that if I take a day off it will turn into two and then I'll stop. One of my friends took a day off and now sits in the lunch room knitting while the rest of us walk.

It sounds to me that you may not have a proper diet at the moment. Why it's starting to hit now, I don't know, maybe because your body is starting to run low on extra resources now. Wait for what the doctor will tell you, but I'd recommend seeing a dietitian (sp?).

I have the feeling your constant exercise + diet are causing you some problems....

It sounds to me that you may not have a proper diet at the moment. Why it's starting to hit now, I don't know, maybe because your body is starting to run low on extra resources now. Wait for what the doctor will tell you, but I'd recommend seeing a dietitian (sp?).

I have the feeling your constant exercise + diet are causing you some problems....

It's possible, though I had these problems and worse before the weight loss. But I didn't start one of those fad diets--just cut out some bad things from the selection and cut portion sizes. I now eat three meals a day instead of the sporadic way I would eat. I have been pushing myself a bit the past two weeks, though and that may not be cool.

I had a repeat today, though. Same thing, different location. Some woman called it in and waited with me. They gave me an IV that they said was just saline solution, but it left a strange taste in my mouth and caused me to smell things. I got hot all over. I asked what it was, but they assured me that it was just a normal IV. Kind of felt like contrast--I've had that before. It's fine if they warn you first.

So, in addition to my appointment tomorrow, I have an appointment with a shrink. Not really looking forward to that.