What does Direct Damage do?

I had a lot of thinking on this since it was a mystery for so long for you guys....

The only idea I had that is not mentioned yet would be that:

Direct Damage 10% - would apply 10% of your "total" damage (incl. all bonuses) without resistance (like LL); and the remaining 90% would be applied normally. Chattius' idea post 6... just re-read thread.

I think the testing already done disproves my other theories 8(

I feel that the if the enemies can be made to be harmless (via the Balance.txt file), then we can remove everything but a DD dagger (already tried?); which removes any reflecting, and hopefully all secondary effects like wounding that create the piles of confusing numbers.

ARgh!

Had another thought - Could it be 10% chance for automatic hit? I mean that DD doesn't affect damage, but hitchance... seems odd but I feel some odd thinking may be required to solve this one!

I had a quick try at this and couldnt stop taking damage...however I tested it with the level 100 in silver so I was fine, but because of the damage I didnt go up against the guardians. All I noticed is that DD increased damage somehow...The dagger equipped stated 220-250 damage and another weapon I bought did 210-254 so it was fairly close. Against champions temple guardians from around the great machine the other weapon would do between 170-208 without crits while Cheops eye would hit for between 200-260 without crits...it was still doing the stated damage from the inventory screen while the other one wasnt...so it increases damage somehow...I dont know how though...maybe PVP tests would give a better result.

I didn't read every single post here so maybe you already tested it. But the best way is to change the modifier of direct damage on a certain weapon/item to a much higher value and watch the effect.

I seemed to remember the Cheops eyes pre ice and blood didn't have direct damage on them. I'll have to check all my inventory to see if I still have one laying around. I think that goes for all the weapons in ice and blood now. Pre weps didn't have direct damage where as post does.

Thats because direct damage didn't exist before the add-on.

If the target has no armour than multiplication of weapon base damage or adding the % of direct damage show same damage numbers. We should reduce the number of variables in the damage calculation. We can eleminate the normal weapon damage in the damage equatation by fighting immunes.

If there is still damage, than direct damage probably adds x% of weapon damage ignoring all armour/mitigation.

If there is no damage, then direct damage probably only mulitplies the base damage.

Perhaps one of the modding experts can create a testdummy without damage, but with high armour and 100% all channel mitigation.

Hmm, can you damage the EGG with direct damage?

Edited by chattius

Nope, the EGG can't be damaged with DD, was having a go a couple of months ago, and was firing at it for quite some time without noticing anything.

Edited by Spunky

When Ascaron released UW, they created a bunch of new kinds of damage. Blood damage is one I recall. Each char had their own set that once completed would create unblockable damage of a new type. Probably with an eye to the fact that resistances go through the roof in Niob, and that average players needed an extra edge in the higher reaches.

My theory is that direct damage is a % of damage dealt that cannot be resisted.

Sort of like the % life leech of a target's HP. Balanced to be kept reasonable and not min-max-able.

That is, unless, this crowd can figure out a away to min-max it? :D

Edited by FrostElfGuard