Can someone help me get into this game?

Aye Stormwing. It has become more of a 'damned if I am going to be beat' than an 'if I don't play Sacred 2 I'll die' thing.

I play Sacred Plus when I am not in here. Not even Underworld. :P

I am prepared to find that the problem of getting the game up and running on limited ressources may be more interesting than the game itself ... but I suspect that that is sacrilege.

Edited by Bondbug

Double post ... for clarity

@ Schot & Gogo ... I am keeping Schot's rescue program for a rainy day if nothing else works. Not sure that I can face it though! Schot sets things out so precisely and simply that even I would have difficulty not understanding.

Meanwhile I am looking at Rotluchs and the old Schot/Cheesehead discussion on PhysX.

OK: Rotluchs ...

your A): "last-resort" yes OK! The rest I prefer not to read at present! Coward that I am

your B): I think I have nVidia package 196.21 - I have lost track but that appears to be what I have. I have downloaded 197.45 but not installed it yet pending your confirmation that I should. Question ... what is Forceware? Do need it? I have 163.75 but have no idea whether it is installed or not.

your C): I am on dx9c I don't think dx9 goes beyond that?

your D): No I have not yet looked at Turbo cache yet beyond looking at the link you gave.

your G): I have a similar programme installed from when I had trouble with the internet server. But I may have binned it.

- "maybe consider going from retail to newest version in smaller steps (not using the huge&full "retail>2.40" monster-patch), and always try out if it launches correctly after each patch" .. OK I will look for the step-by-step patches and try that when the time comes.

Edited by Bondbug

I don't know know if this will be helpful, but I went thru a reinstallation recently. The only patches available on Ascaron's support page are 2.11.2 to 2.40 and 2.40 to 2.43. Upgrading with only those patches will fail, so you have to find the 2.0 to 2.1 and the 2.1 to 2.11.2 patches externally.

B) iirc forceware was the older name for nvidia's geforce gfx driver suite/package.. the old 163.75 is from somewhere in 2007, Sacred 2 wasn't even released back then..

I would use at least one of the official ones that came out AFTER the release of Sacred 2, or each patch you tend to play with...

new games on release are known to often have troubles with older/current drivers, then it needs a new 'optimization' fix by the gfx chip manufacturer... (or a patch for the game)

with older gfx cards its a problem sometimes tho, then in some cases it helps to try old 'outdated' ones from back when it was more popular/newer (the card)

strategies and opinions may vary, I for one always try out the most recent official one when I encounter any problems (in this case - 197.45)

C) there were always updates for directx9c since it has been released, however the name never changed, only the internal version number

(sometimes not even that, I dont know if they changed anything at all for the old directx9c in the February 2010 update for example..

I think these 'bimonthly'(or quarterly) updates are more interesting for the SDK version and developers, to my knowledge they didnt changed 'features' for directx9c)

your version should be ok. (but feel free to redownload the february 2010 one and install over..)

like DaveO mentioned, finding the older patches might take some time, but I'm sure you'll find em.. edit - for example (links not tested):

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/sacred2.php

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/patches...ngel/patch.html

btw, regarding your dxdiag on SIF:

I noticed the sound driver for your Sound Blaster Live! is from 2001.. there are newer ones you may want to try (I would)

even though it's unofficial and not supported by creative, my favourites are the daniel_k supportpacks, available in different versions for each card-generation..

try if this one works, but read carefully and follow instructions:

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaste...e-LS/m-p/553341

Edited by Rotluchs
I don't know know if this will be helpful, but I went thru a reinstallation recently. The only patches available on Ascaron's support page are 2.11.2 to 2.40 and 2.40 to 2.43. Upgrading with only those patches will fail, so you have to find the 2.0 to 2.1 and the 2.1 to 2.11.2 patches externally.

Dealth with all the many many patches till I found that from a fresh unpatched install you can use this one:

http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone...NT-2_40_0_0.exe

It will take you all the way to 2.40 and then you can install Ice and Blood from there. Save a ton of time and frustration.

Thanks again all. Surprised you have not given me up as a bad job. Your support is one of the things that gives this forum such a good reputation.

Progress(?) report

I thought it was me who should be playing with this game, but I suspect that at present it is the other way round and the game is playing with me.

I installed the nVidia update. I clicked to start the game. The first DOS type window came up, white lettering on black: timer initialising..codec type..archive..debugger..add archive..Fsarchive. Then the second DOD type screen, green on black with the blue Sacred motif ... as before. It asked for access to the web ... and I suddenly remembered what Schot had said about this, rememberered that I thought I had fixed this ... but apparently not ... said an unprintable word ... and used ALT+TAB to go back and reset the firewall. Clicked close. Programme objected. "End now" ............. then just before it closed a new screen with a pink Ascaron motif flashed up then ... it closed as per instructions.

So I cleared the firewall, and tried again expecting success at last. First screen ... long pause ... then the error message that is shown above in post 3 .

Salutary tale. (BUT SEE BELOW in "Later"..)

I have other ways and alleys to explore yet, including dx (Rotluchs), PhysX, revoke, chase up the step by step updates and re-install. But today is a busy day, English classes and a choir rehearsal. Tomorrow, as they say, is another day.

Thanks Rotluchs for the note about the sound card. I thought it was updated 4 years back when GeForce was updated, but apparently not so. However unless it is critical to the running of Sacred 2 I am not too bothered. No other game has complained as far as I know. As I have said, I play with the sound off, after listening to the music once or twice. I only use sound with occasional sound recordings, and with my music scripting program, and it is perfectly good enough for all that.

Later:

Spooky. After this morning's adventure I thought well if that's the way it wants to play I will make it ask for access So I went back into the firewall and removed the automatic access.

Started up again, first and second screens, demand for access, OK, and it opened. WOW! I got to the character creation screen, set up a Dryad, selected the Start button and ...

back to the initial s2gs screen which eventually cut back to the desktop. No "Error" message, no nothing.

I wonder if I need to set the firewall to give certain things automatic access, but make it ask for others?! There seem to about 6 different Sacred 2 things requiring acess.

Edited by Bondbug
I wonder if I need to set the firewall to give certain things automatic access, but make it ask for others?! There seem to about 6 different Sacred 2 things requiring acess.

nope, just 2. the game exe and server exe.

as for the error message, it's time to play with the nvidia drivers. start with the newest and work backwards.

I had problems with sacred2 only 1 time. Updating a virus scanner and it had automatically heuristic scan activated. And the **** SecuROM was considered as potential danger and blocked.

Spooky. After this morning's adventure I thought well if that's the way it wants to play I will make it ask for access So I went back into the firewall and removed the automatic access.

Started up again, first and second screens, demand for access, OK, and it opened. WOW! I got to the character creation screen, set up a Dryad, selected the Start button and ...

back to the initial s2gs screen which eventually cut back to the desktop. No "Error" message, no nothing.

Ah, sounds like you're onto something Bondbug. What Anti-virus and firewall do you use? Have you tried turning them both off just before you start Sacred to see if it will run better? It's 100% safe to try. :lol:

OK Schot. I am in, but it is still not right.

However ...

I tried switching off firemall and a-virus. Didn't want to know.

So I went back to making it ask for access.

I selected sacred2.exe > s2gs.exe screen > ask for access > char creation > start button > back to s2gs.exe ... alt/tab > select sacred 2 in quick bar > ask for access > and I was in !

Next step, from Rotluchs, update dx9c to Feb 2010.

Much better.

I now select sacred2.exe > s2gs.exe screen > ask for access and I am in - a bit reluctantly, but in.

I tried Single Player. No problem though movement seems awkward

I tried LAN and found it already has my activation key from before. No sign of any LAN activity. Nothing offered.

Closed net seems to be HC.

'Open net' and 'Coop mode' - these I will have to read up before venturing.

However "KiHoTe" is registered AT LAST.

Still some adjustments to make to improve access, but, once in, the game runs well enough - I think. :D

Many thanks to all. Break out the champagne :)

Later: tried adjusting the firewall again to give it free access but then s2gs takes me back to the same old error message. That is odd to say the least. :huh:

Edited by Bondbug

Yep. Got access, but not good access. It is tricky, to say the least. I click around for a while and eventually get into the game. Single person then runs well, but only for about 30-40 mins then it freezes.

So I am going back and re-installing, with all the advice I have been given, up to 2.40 for starters. Just a question of time I think.

post cancelled! still a problem which may relate to a fault on the installation disc.

Edited by Bondbug

Double post yet again.

I think this comment of Rotluchs about sums it up:

"the still-frame party that was going on my screen wasn't really fun.. even with everything on low, I never had more than 30fps, very choppy... ~15-30 avg if I remember correctly.

I hate to say it, but just as a warning: prepare to be disappointed by the performance you may end up with, even if you'd finally manage to get it to run.. "

This would be the poor performance that led me to try a re-install. I had re-instal problems which were possibly caused by a slightly faulty disc drive. It is now re-installed with the other drive.

And I am back to the original problems. But in view of that comments by Rotluchs, I think I will abandon for now. Thanks for all your patient help.

Anyone for Sacred Plus? :unsure:

And I am back to the original problems. But in view of that comments by Rotluchs, I think I will abandon for now. Thanks for all your patient help.

Anyone for Sacred Plus? :mellow:

noooooooooooooooooo! :Just_Cuz_21:

I don't wanna imagine what they gonna do if they find out it might be me and my silly comment that scared you away from Sacred 2 lol.. not to mention HC closed Ice and Blood, where most of us are... :tongue:

what was the performance like for the short time you were able to spend ingame (SP) ?

wish I could say I was wrong and didn't remember correctly, and that the performance was super-duper back then on the old machine - but I'd have to lie for that..

maybe there's someone else with a similar machine to yours, but less discouraging experience ?

besides:

it was fun trying to 'fix' or 'tweak' your machine per 'remote' ..

don't like the idea of the story beeing over already , if it means we won't see you in Sacred 2 :(

furthermore, good luck !

Performance was a bit twitchy; but not too bad - but it stopped dead after 30-40 mins.

And don't be daft Rotluchs, I virtually live here these days. Wife even made me a chef's hat to wear when I am in the kitchen.....plus that Smiley Schot "cooked" up :Just_Cuz_21:

P.S. I am saving for a GeForce update

Edited by Bondbug
And don't be daft Rotluchs, I virtually live here these days. Wife even made me a chef's hat to wear when I am in the kitchen.....plus that Smiley Schot "cooked" up :)

guess you're not the only one : )

but, should I be disappointed? I googled a bit.. :)

I was looking for daft (adj.) [coll] @ dict.leo.org ..nothing, couldnt find any record about my humble self?

how about 'barmy' ? at least that sounds also very british to me, or does it mean something different?

(tho as a non-native speaker - I'm not even sure where 'daft' would fit in.. dict.leo.org is a bit cryptic in this d.a.r.k matter)

------------------------------------------------------------------

err, anyways.. keep us posted about the upgrade you're 'cooking' for your PC,

and I'm sure we can 'shed light on that d.a.r.k kitchen' as well .

J.

PS: ..I have an 'unused used' AMD/ATI HD 4850 stashed away somewhere

Edited by Rotluchs
And don't be daft Rotluchs, I virtually live here these days. Wife even made me a chef's hat to wear when I am in the kitchen.....plus that Smiley Schot "cooked" up :)

guess you're not the only one : )

but, should I be disappointed? I googled a bit.. :)

I was looking for daft (adj.) [coll] @ dict.leo.org ..nothing, couldnt find any record about my humble self?

how about 'barmy' ? at least that sounds also very british to me, or does it mean something different?

(tho as a non-native speaker - I'm not even sure where 'daft' would fit in.. dict.leo.org is a bit cryptic in this d.a.r.k matter)

------------------------------------------------------------------

err, anyways.. keep us posted about the upgrade you're 'cooking' for your PC,

and I'm sure we can 'shed light on that d.a.r.k kitchen' as well .

J.

PS: ..I have an 'unused used' AMD/ATI HD 4850 stashed away somewhere

Daft is an Old English-derived word for silly.

maybe there's someone else with a similar machine to yours, but less discouraging experience ?

given some free time in the next few days I could probably slap a machine together.

test rig: athlon 64 3200+

nvidia 6600gt

nvidia 7600gt

ati 850xt

1gb ddr

xp sp3

sadly enough I used a similar setup for crysis. (2gb ddr and 7800gs)

Go for it piscikeeper!

But I had better settle this other daft business first. OK Loco ... correct - but very formal and serious.

Daft adj esp Brit. colloq 1. silly, foolish, crazy 2. (foll. by about) fond of, infatuated with [ME daffte = OE gedaefte; mild, meek f. Gmc]

OK. Got that! I'd be surprised. If so please tell me what on earth 'f.Gmc' refers to.

I am sure Chatius can find a daft reference as ME and OE are Anglo-Saxon dased and no doubt derived from the German.

Daffy, as in duck, is similar but different. OK?

We also have "daft as a brush", "daft 'a'porth" ... er ... I use it all the time when talking to my wife ... like "divvn't be se daft, hinny"... er ... help please you north of GB folk! Geordies, Tykes, Makkems, even Sassenachs (which I use in its correct meaning to refer to the lowland Scots) ... a little help please!

Well. Having stirred up all that mucky water ... what is next I wonder ... I have a feeling that the only thing on thread here is Piscikeeper. :)

Funny (funny = peculiar) thing. After updating various things (NVIDIA, Dx) as per advice received, and having briefly entered the game, and having reinstalled several times, I am right back at my position in post 3 ... and I can't remember where I went from there! Can't win them all. Daft innit?

Edited by Bondbug
Go for it piscikeeper!

But I had better settle this other daft business first. OK Loco ... correct - but very formal and serious.

Daft adj esp Brit. colloq 1. silly, foolish, crazy 2. (foll. by about) fond of, infatuated with [ME daffte = OE gedaefte; mild, meek f. Gmc]

OK. Got that! I'd be surprised. If so please tell me what on earth 'f.Gmc' refers to,

Daffy, as in duck, is similar but different. OK?

We also have "daft as a brush", "daft 'a'porth" ... er ... I use it all the time when talking to my wife ... like "divvn't be daft, hinny"... er ... help please you north of GB folk! Geordies, Tykes, Makkems, even Sassenachs (which I use in it correct meaning I.e. the Scots) ... a little help please!

Well. Having stirred up all that mucky water ... what is next I wonder ... I have a feeling that the only thing on thread here is Piscikeeper. :)

I like this kind of discussions.

why don't we have a specific thread or section for this? there should be one,

I remember SIF, and many stuff going on here as well..

best way to learn something (new) or recapitulate, and thus to really memorize it (hopefully) .

The Inglenook is really intended for this sort of stuff as well as any general food/drink chat, or maybe the bar?

There is a lot of problems in kitchen with 'terminology' where the same thing has different names in different countries, like swede-turnip-rutabaga.

Edited by Bondbug

prelim results are in:

abit kv-80

2x512mb pc3200

athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754 @2.2ghz)

hpw1707 @1440x900

windows xp sp3 w/ current updates

nvidia 7800gs(256mb) ~50.5 fps

nvidia 7600gt(256mb) ~32.5 fps

nvidia 6600gt(128mb) ~33.5 fps

ati x850xt(256mb) ~21 fps

graphics set to low/no physx/no weather

nvidia cards all using 197.45 drivers

ati driver 8.593.100 and catalyst 10.2

all cards turned into slide shows in town (under 20 fps) with major texture pop issues.

further testing is needed since the 850 should be closer to the 7600(which seems should be higher).

with 1gb of system memory, the games memory leak should be fairly noticeable, although 2hr play sessions were not a problem.

I am a bit late probably:

Etymology is the science of the origin of words, looked up at: http://www.etymonline.com

daft

O.E. gedæfte "gentle, becoming," from P.Gmc. *gadaftjaz. Sense progression from "mildness" to "dullness" (14c.) to "foolish" (15c.) to "crazy" (1530s), probably influenced by analogy with daffe "halfwit."

OE is old english, 14c is 14 century, P.Gmc is proto-germanic

German dictionary of the bothers Grimm (the ones who also colledted the faerytales):

http://germazope.uni-trier.de/Projects/WBB...her/cdrom/wbgui

DEFTIG, firmus, eximius, solidus STIELER 313. niederl. deftig tüchtig, trefflich, vornehm, ags. däft, engl. deft geschickt, artig, lustig. ein deftiger mann vir gravis, eximius, amplissimus Brem. wörterb. 1, 189. defti derb, kräftig, tüchtig Quickborn 285. vergl. toff, toft bei SCHMELLER 1, 433. in Bonn sagt man lobend ein deftiger mensch, ein deftiger haushalt. s. daffet. diffig. diftig. difteln.

German-English tanslations for deftig in dict.leo.org (my favourite dictionaries)

deftig = hefty, hearty

deftiger Humor = ribald humour

deftige Mahlzeit = solid/substantial meal, good and solid meal

deftige Ohrfeige = cracking slap in the face

Deftig is used in our region mainly in the sense of rather from a farmer/craftman than from a noble: being direct, speak what you think, ...

Chattius' own theory:

In Hessen (german state) we have the slang word: Dabbes. Which is a foolish person with 2 left hands. Grimm's law transforms a b into f, so we would be at Daffy Duck.

Hessen slang is terrible:

Wo willst denn hau es ha hi hu he? -> Wo willst du denn heute das Heu hin haben? -> Where do you want the hay be brought to today?

Gees de Kaktus sonst verdött dö dö! -> Giess den Kaktus sonst verdört er dir! -> Water the cactus, else he will wither!

Edited by chattius

hi sorry I didnt read all three pages of posts but I thought I would throw in some extra detail. my game started doing the same thing yesterday and it was working for about a month just fine v. 2.43 and now it stops on connecting to local server. . . same as his I dont have any idea wat the problem is but at the same time my internet stopped working I dont know if that has anything to do with it my wife can connect to the internet on her lap top but I cant on mine it connects but only local connectiong. meaning it says local only when it should say local and internet. hopefully this will help.