Every Sorcerer Needs a Good Pair of Pointy Shoes

I saw this preview at the movies when we saw Prince of Persia.

I think it looks pretty good too. Nicholas Cage seems to be at the point in his career when he is just playing himself :P

The effects look awesome. In fact they looked so good, I stopped watching about half way through, don't want to spoil my apetite. However... story wise... er....

*cough*

:lol:

As a family movie though, Lord...I think you guys have a winner. :P Man, it must be pricey with a whole family at the theatres these days

:4rofl:

gogo

I have long been a fan of the Cage man. He just has this certain . . . quality. He is either ultra cool or a stuttering bumbler. And he always has a melt down somewhere in most of his movies. This one looks like a winner for me--but I do admit that it has a chance to be total crap.

At any rate, I'm going to see it.

Oh, and gogo . . . it costs me something near $100.00 USD for movie tickets and a trip to the snack bar for my brood. Drive-in's are better cause we bring our own food.

Yes, 5 kids, au-pair girl, 2 adults---- this gets expensive very quickly. We normally do drive-in too, using our big mercedes van, open the sliding door, get out banks, table and a large beach parasol.

Too bad that most family movies start end november, grmbl.

A former classmate lives now near Castle Neidstein. I visited him some years back before Cage bought the castle (and sold it a year ago).

Wonder if the german grandma of Cage told him all the fairytales which made him buy a castle. For the movie, wiki states that it is based on Goethe's ballad 'Zauberlehrling', which was made in a cartoon by Walt Disney, with Mickey as sorcerer and Donald as apprentice. There are several dozens movies about the Zauberlehrling here in germany already, so I wonder how this one will stand against the older ones.

As a kid I hated Goethe. He lived in Wetzlar for some years. My parents live in Wetzlar and I have the coat of arms of Wetzlar as an avatar. So whenever I did some jokes or was speaking loud with a friend at school classes I had to learn ballads from Goethe. And I had to learn a lot of ballads....

Hat der alte Hexenmeister

sich doch einmal wegbegeben!

Und nun sollen seine Geister

auch nach meinem Willen leben!

Still remember it after all this years. Well my kids had to learn it too and I was checking if the learned it right, so it was refreshed.

English translation of the ballad

Ooooh, Balthazar o3o

The effects and trinkets look pretty cool, as well as the creatures. Not too sure about the storyline (seems a little cliche), but I'd give it a try :)

Wasn't the Sorcerer's Apprentice a book...?

*lols* "...I love them... A lot. *nods*"

Nice.

-- Ooh, nice Goethe there, Chattius!

Edited by JaguarGal
I have long been a fan of the Cage man.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. hundred bux? Well, the cool thing is that having that family brings on all the creativity... I love the drive in, we used to do it a lot here too at Dollard Drive in!

Cage man...*shudder*... lol, did you guys see him in the Wicker Man? Yes, you could say it gave me nightmare for weeks. His acting, ultra lowe-budget movie, and preposterous ending.

You could say it gave me night mares for weeks.

:)

gogo

That looks like it could be a good movie, hopefuly we havent just seen all the good bits in the trailer.

As to expensive...movies are crazy these days. We have $12-13 tickets, but then some places have there special larger screens for the hit movies which they charge more for and you have to pay since they dont show it on the normal screens. Then 3d glasses cost more if that applies...sigh...its such a rort. Fortunately most often when I go to the movies its with a mate and she's as cheap as me so we go to the local cinema were its $6-7 bucks for a ticket :) Great place for families to go see a movie because it ends up so cheap in comparison.

• 1 month later...

I saw this movie last night. It wasnt bad but it wasnt great ether. There wasnt anything spectacular in it. I loved the magic it looked great on the screen. I thought the story was a bit weak and the acting wasnt top notch. Nicolas Cage was good well its normal that he would be good and better then the rest but the guy that played the Apprentice was very week and in a way he brings down the movie. At list he did for me. There was some nice jokes neatly placed here and there. All in all not a bad movie if you like to see some magic action and relax without some serious plot.

Thanks for the review Katran. lol, I haven't seen it yet, but I was thinking that's pretty much what I would have written. Nicholas Cage though...he is a character... the title of this thread... if you say it out loud a few times...you just realize how perfect it is when said with his very unique voice and inflection.

Dunno...but that alone, delivery...half of life...can be reason enough to go see a flick.

:)

gogo

This afternoon we left the kids home and I took his wife to see "The Sorcerer"s Apprentice" and it was GOOD. For the first time ever the wife said she would want to go back and see a movie a second time (and when we were dating, I worked in a movie theater and could get us both in for free, and we never saw a movie more than once), and is even willing to go to an evening showing and pay full price. We both come out of the theatre wanting to be able to throw plasma balls and juggle fire. She also said that when it comes out on DVD we are getting a copy. If you have not seen it, go but stay till the credits are done for something extra. So I give this movie a very big :):o:P !

I saw this movie last night with my girlfriend, when we got out the theater, she had almost the reaction as your wife. She said that she didn't like Nicolas Cage, but she liked him in the movie. We both really enjoyed the movie.

Max