Sacred 2 Vs. Guild Wars?

Multi player Sacred 2 vs. Guild Wars  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Please be honest! And vote for which game has the better multi player experience.

• Sacred 2
    • Guild Wars

Well to start off I've just started playing Sacred 2 for PS3. I found Sacred 2 to be a pretty ample replacement for my old Diablo 2 LOD addiction. I do enjoy playing on the PS3 but the ambiance is isn't the same as playing this form of game on the PC. My brother and I (we live together) just went halves and built a new PC. I'm looking into getting either Sacred 2 or Guild Wars. Here's where the question comes in. I was a HUGE fan of Diablo 2 LOD because of the multi player, tons of traders, pvper's, power leveler's, clan's and etc. I understand that you're all probably strictly Sacred 2 fans, however if I'm looking for a game for pc with an excellent multi player experience; is Sacred 2 the better way to go or should I lean towards Guild Wars? Please be honest! Thanks everyone!

I'd say Guild Wars will always win against sacred 2 in terms of multiplayer experience, simply because every server is limited to 16 people, and all people who are used to MMORPG's will want to see plenty of players roaming around. On the other hand Sacred 2 beats Guild Wars in terms of items, equipment, customizations, inventory, quests, map size, gameplay, simplicity, efficiency, area diversity, multitude of builds and so on. It is the game that allows you more than enough freedom to do things any way you see fit, but most importantly - to do them your way.

You will have to decide for yourself which is better. My MMORPG mania came to an end, and Sacred 2 became the perfect game for me.

I have too agree with dobri on this one its all on you, it stoped me from playing my mmo. I like the big open world in this game items and mounts. the bad is the drm XD its a pain but its all good once u can play it.people call it a dibalo clone but I dont see how I think people would call sumtihng like titans quest close too diablo. anyway guildwars I never played it so I have no input on it but its all up too you.and the online I wouldent know on sacred seeing as I play it on tunngle XD

I'd say Guild Wars will always win against sacred 2 in terms of multiplayer experience, simply because every server is limited to 16 people, and all people who are used to MMORPG's will want to see plenty of players roaming around.

Mind you, unless you're doing PvP, the PvE maps have a cap of 8 people/AI-teammembers (IIRC PvP has the same max but two sides). It's only in towns that you'll see a lot more people.

Also the gameplay is a very different beast in GW (not worse, just different). The monster numbers are much lower so you'll usually be fighting only a few/handful of monsters (unless you allow yourself to get mobbed) & by the end game all the monsters will be significantly higher level than you.

Definitely not a Diablo Clone. We were all playing it here for a good while before Sacred 2 came out. It's a unique gaming philosophy...you game for abilities, not items. Existentialist gaming actually brought to life...no real leveling..just working on your "skills" to be able to accomplish more via actions rather than relying on passive effects from objects.

Thing is...objects are fun. We all love to collect real things that can impact our game enormously even if they are passive.

Sacred 2 has that, Guild Wars never did. There is NO other game that allows the depth of builds that Sacred series allows... for one price. This value has still never been beaten.

I did love learning all about the game, and if you had a good group to play with , it was wonderful. Their forums are okay, very busy...but what was happening was that peeps were beginning to be brainwashed to be trained to solve for most efficient builds rather than more fun builds... this stemmed creativity...and when someone tried to create a build on the Guild Wars forum that was about their own kind of fun rather than kills/time they were flamed.

I am spoiled by the tone and considered manner that the members here at DarkMatters have when discussing issues for gaming, and if we do ever return to Guild Wars for the second incarnation to keep us busy till Sacred 3 gets here, I'm confident this site will finally be able to host the voices and ideas that kept getting squashed at the official Guild Wars forums.

Sorry, but I had/have/am having a really good time with the Sacred 2 community and our members here at DarkMatters than I ever did with Guild Wars. It was a good "treat" in Guild Wars to not use our bots and get a human to play with...but I never connected to people like I have here with all the trading we do, builds we write about, bugs we all love to hate together and provide us with new content ... :P

I voted Sacred 2 for MP!

Loved Guild Wars economy btw ^^

:)

gogo

Very well put, gogo.

It was I who voted for Guild Wars, and it was for one very simple reason: multiplayer games like Diablo 2 and Sacred 2 are very hard to compare with a MMORPG like WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, and so on. MMORPGs are based on great multiplayer experience - if they don't have it, they won't exist at all, and Guild Wars is probably the second best MMORPG now, as it surpassed Lineage 2 as far as I know for the second place.

If the original poster had decided to put the question a bit more differently, then my answer would have been different. In my eyes Sacred 2 will always take the first place in all of the following:

- gameplay

- builds limited only by the imagination of the player

- map and area diversity

- Single Player experience

- Bot-free environment

- PK free environment

- friendly environment

- friendly MP environment based on player's wishes - want a party? join a server with people. Wanna solo? make a solo server!

EDIT: Oh yes... and how could I forget? In Sacred 2 MP, players are much more friendly and tend to share all the time. In almost every MMORPG's players cling to anything they made and to every dime as if it is their last...

Sacred 2 has way too many virtues that put it in front of any MMORPG in terms of gameplay and mechanics, but still, it is a different kind of game. For that reason I am very much against comparing two different games based on one simple trait that would put the inferior game in front.

The election is rigged! Call the police! :)

Edited by Dobri

This is a really tuff question.. Dobri you've also had a bunch of strong points smartly as well. It is a tuff comparion actually...I'm going to put Guild Wars up there as the second best MP game I've played.

For sheer polish and cheapness it's hard to beat. I loved the missions too, and the artwork is my most enjoyable to date.

:)

gogo

Never played guild wars, but from what Ive seen of the the second one it looks like it could be good. Whether or not it will be able to replace everything that we have here in sacred 2 and the community Im not so sure...

I'm with Dobri on this one just because you cant compare a Hack'n'Slash game to a MMO it just isn't comparable.

Yes the GW is a awesome game with some backstory I'd say even more than sacred 2. But on Sacred 2 you get addictive gameplay and lots of items and customization, you won't get this on GW.

I appreciate all of the input you guys have given me. Perhaps I'll try GW on the PC and stick to Sacred 2 on PS3. Unfortunately I haven't touched my PS3 since we have built the new PC; and I owe it all to Starcraft 2! Don't get me wrong Sacred 2 is very enjoyable, but one of my biggest issues is the amount of time that must be put in. I'm pretty productive and busy between work and the lady of course.

So it seems like some (a lot) of you have actually played GW for a while there. I had no idea that it was classified as an MMORPG. I'm not sure how many of you will remember this...... It was about 5 years ago, give or take before GW's actual release. They had a day set up that you could sign up for, download the client, and join in the beta fun with an already partially leveled character. I participated and if I remember right, I found it very hard (granted it was only beta for 24 hours or so) to find members to party up with or to even get the snobby people in the towns to talk or help you out with anything. Would any of you who have played GW's be generous enough to break down the multiplayer experience a little more? Thanks!

Well, that's the problem with many MMORPG's. I have very limited GW experience (only a few weeks with a friend's account) after all my Lineage 2 days came to an end, and I wasn't very pleased.

First of all, everyone is so concerned about their equipment and their stuff, that they will not help anybody.

Second, if you go around asking for help, you are most likely to be branded a noob and laughed at. Same goes for begging. You are most likely to be laughed at.

Third, going into a world where everyone is well set, geared and leveled up, you will find it very hard to thrive, as you may well become a victim of kill stealers, player killers and so on.

Fourth, I don't know if there are bots in Guild Wars, but if there are, they are always a nuisance, and they are always irritating. If you kill a bot, you become a player killer and you get hunted for that. If you let it go, it will kill the monsters you're hunting. It's a loss-loss situation.

Fifth, even if you manage to put your feet on the ground somehow, it will take a long time to progress properly. You will need a money making character and usually all the best money-making places will be occupied by the powerful clans. Since you'll be starting now, with your inferior equipment it is hard to achieve much. Looking at the best Bulgarian site for GW info, that assumption is confirmed. They stated that since GW is a game of skill, not of levels (they stated max level is 20 and is gained in 1-2 weeks), the big clans constantly occupy those places and either kill the monsters by all means necessary (that includes stealing kills and killing players too), or if you manage to kill something, it won't be much.

Sixth, there are a ton of cunning players, taking their time to strip someone of their good equipment. Even if you have put your feet on the ground, you may fall prey to such people, and find yourself close to ground zero again and wonder - what the hell do I do here?!

You may well end up paying for months and months of play time (not for GW, I know), and when you look back, you may find yourself just a few levels above ground zero. Then you may want to ask yourself - why did I have to do that? And there is no good answer to this question, regretfully...

I found comfort in Sacred 2 because here everything is on my fingertips and everything can be gained according to my desires and the amount of time I'm willing to put in this game. No other MMORPG can give me that, and for this matter, I've been sticking to Sacred 2 for lots and lots of months - it's well over a year now.

MMORPG's may be fun, may be very addictive, may be challenging to manage in a well-built world, but they are also a money sink. They are developed to progress slowly, so that you will put at least a year worth of money into them. That's very valid for WoW, Lineage 2 and others.

Granted GW2 does not have a monthly fee, but it does have expansions that are supposed to come out every 6-9 months (developers don't make games for free, as you know, they need a constant flow of money to support it), which if you don't buy, you won't be doing so well, as they add more and more content. Why not simply give it all at once for Sacred 2 (and it's not that much) and be done with it? :D

Edited by Dobri

Well...I voted for both. :D It's like comparing apples and well...not pears but bananas yes. Sacred 2 has a very nice multiplayer community with events and especially the Hardcore segment is like a big family.

I played the first Campaign, Guildwars - Prophecies, for a long time together with my girlfriend. We had much fun, but it was somewhat tiresome to get a guild or even a team for a specific mission together. Of course the events in GW are not comparable to user planned events in Sacred 2, being professionally implemented by NCSoft and community managers like Gaile and the Frog working their asses off to keep people playing. However, the load of spam from trade bots, seeing the same über-Build for each character played by thousands of morons and the constant update downloads are things I am not missing when playing Sacred 2 instead.

Of course, the option to modify the game and help this community in a very close and direct way is also a big point on the PRO Sacred list for me. :bounce:

Edited by czevak