Argh! I'm getting the shakes..

Hey guys,

Just wanting to complain about and apologise for my absence lately, both in game and on the forums.

Long story short, our ever so friendly real estate company decided they wanted us to move out at very short notice. Not great timing as I'm getting married in 2 weeks. Anyhow, found a great townhouse with more room (the only positive in this story, unfortunately) and finally finished moving in a couple of weeks back. Then the real fun dramas started.

So, with no changes whatsoever to my network, computer or Sacred 2 installation and using the same ISP (who took 3 weeks to connect me :)), I can't connect to the server. It sits at the 'Connecting to lobby...' screen forever.

It seems somewhat similar to the problem that Llama had recently, so I contacted my provider and after explaining several times that the server was definitely working because I could connect to it tethered to my phone, I have escalated it to the help desk. I am still waiting to hear what they come up with.

More info here, if anyone is interested: https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f...=282432#p282432

Now the fun part!

If possible, could I get a few people from different countries to run a couple of commands in a command prompt for me and post their results? Specifically: 'ping eu.sacred2.net', 'tracert eu.sacred2.net' and 'nslookup eu.sacred2.net' If you wrap your results in [ code ] tags, it won't make a huge mess out of the page. Hopefully this will help me deduce where the problem lies and/or give me more to work with if my ISP can't figure it out.

Thanks a lot, and sorry again for being absent, hopefully I will be back up and running soon!

Nick

Edited by dreeft

ping eu.sacred2.net timed out on every try (5 times)

nslookup eu.sacred2.net
Server: cns.chelmsfdrdc2.ma.boston.comcast.net
Address: 68.87.71.230

Non-authoritative answer:
Name :eu.sacred2.net
Address: 84.201.80.43

hopefully that's what you wanted

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

G:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert eu.sacred2.net

Tracing route to eu.sacred2.net 
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1	<1 ms	<1 ms	<1 ms  
  2	 *		7 ms	 8 ms  
  3	 9 ms	13 ms	 9 ms  
  4	11 ms	 8 ms	 9 ms  
  5	21 ms	 8 ms	12 ms  
  6	13 ms	11 ms	10 ms  
  7	12 ms	13 ms	12 ms  
  8	20 ms	20 ms	19 ms  pos-2-2-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.93.185]
  9	19 ms	19 ms	20 ms  pos-1-6-0-0-pe01.111eighthave.ny.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.87.110]
 10	22 ms	 *	   27 ms  Vlan551.icore1.NTO-NewYork.as6453.net [209.58.26.81]
 11   114 ms   127 ms   123 ms  Vlan79.icore1.FR1-Frankfurt.as6453.net [195.219.180.49]
 12   126 ms   125 ms   124 ms  ix-1-3.icore1.FR1-Frankfurt.as6453.net [195.219.180.70]
 13   127 ms   129 ms   126 ms  DUS-1-eth300.de.lambdanet.net [217.71.96.113]
 14   126 ms   129 ms   128 ms  HAN-1-eth020.de.lambdanet.net [217.71.96.77]
 15   135 ms   135 ms   134 ms  DTS-HER.de.lambdanet.net [217.71.110.75]
 16   136 ms   137 ms   136 ms  core1.dts-online.net [212.62.68.250]
 17	 *		*		*	 Request timed out.

17 thru 30 are all 'timed out'

And you can connect with no problems?

That's how it looks for me, I am certain the problem exists beyond my local network. Which leaves me stuck waiting..

Oh, and if anyone else wants to know how to copy out of a command prompt, right click and choose 'Mark', then drag a box over the text you want to copy and right click again to confirm. It will now be on your clipboard.

Edited by dreeft

Just tried and had no probs entering lobby and joining game in Closed servers

I right clicked on screen and chose 'select all' then ctrl +c and ctrl +v to copy/paste

Hey hey dreeft, miss my huntin buddy. Servers are dead at night except for Etherian (100+% map revealed=Awesome) Here's to hoping you get back in soon. I'll try to do this also, but I'm only a few states over from Knuckles so it'll probably be the same results.

the ping failing is quite normal, defense mechanism against hacking/DDOS attacks and the like.

The traceroute ends at the same point as Knuckles' one. Only difference is that that is hop 10, and the one before timed out consistently, the two before that are identical, and before that, it's just another path to the German part of the Lambdanet (the core of the internet).

Most absurd bit of difference is that I need 3-4k ms, before I get to the point where knuckles gets in 8-900 ms... al because of 1 hop wich takes 3+ seconds...

nslookup gives the same end adress as Knuckles again.

Edited by Arperum

Thanks guys, appreciated.

I'm certain they aren't accepting pings, I just wanted to check to make sure it wasn't just me.

Well, I'm completely out of ideas. Onto my 3rd day of no reply from my ISP.

I don't want to have to start playing SP!

If you do have to play SP.

There is a new updated V0090 CM Patch with loads of goodies apparently!

Come back soon...

I remain, :)

If you do have to play SP.

There is a new updated V0090 CM Patch with loads of goodies apparently!

Come back soon...

I had the CM Patch downloaded in preparation for a bit of down time, but I just can't bring myself to play it SP.

If I'm going to play on my own, I might as well go back to the console version (big TV, comfy couch, +all skills, high level socketables and VD Dryad :))

Tried a traceroute from university of Giessen while seaching for some old numerical maths magazines:

traceroute to eu.sacred2.net (84.201.80.43), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1  ro-hrz-cip.uni-giessen.de (134.176.5.1)  0.366 ms  0.430 ms  0.486 ms
2  ro-win.uni-giessen.de (134.176.247.1)  0.732 ms  0.728 ms  0.719 ms
3  xr-gie1-ge9-1.x-win.dfn.de (188.1.49.33)  0.858 ms  0.854 ms  1.096 ms
4  xr-fra1-te1-1.x-win.dfn.de (188.1.144.102)  1.979 ms  2.174 ms  2.315 ms
5  zr-fra1-te0-0-0-0.x-win.dfn.de (188.1.145.190)  2.714 ms  2.710 ms  2.702 ms
6  decix.dts-online.net (80.81.192.149)  2.925 ms  3.544 ms  3.203 ms
7  m10-hf-68.dts-online.net (212.62.68.30)  9.733 ms  9.522 ms  9.711 ms
8  core1.dts-online.net (212.62.68.250)  9.699 ms  9.686 ms  9.669 ms
9  * * *

dfn = deutsches Forschungsnetzwerk, german network for science researches. Giessen is 60 kilometres away from frankfurt (fra1), so it is at the blocking part very quick. Lot faster than at work, and a hell of a lot faster than from my home (4800 bit per second shortwave radio upload and satellite download. okay at least the download is fast once the request is answered after some seconds).

Tracing route to eu.sacred2.net [84.201.80.43]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   103 ms	 7 ms	 9 ms  10.227.240.1
 2	 *		*		*	 Request timed out.
 3	 *		*		*	 Request timed out.

Well...I made it one hop...then timed out, but can still log onto the servers so yeah... Hope you get stuff fixed up soon.

hahaha, that means it couldn't find your router. I'm impressed you can do anything DB :)

wow chattius, that's impressively fast... lucky you! :)

Thanks guys, appreciated.

I'm certain they aren't accepting pings, I just wanted to check to make sure it wasn't just me.

Well, I'm completely out of ideas. Onto my 3rd day of no reply from my ISP.

Dreeft, just reading about this now. Have they gotten back to you yet? And what about competitors... is switching to another isp an option? zomgod, no sacred o_O But... playing on a big tv is a kind of relax vacation ^^

:)

gogo

No news yet. We just signed up for another 12 month contract with these guys, they're the best value for money around and the speeds are pretty good (for Australia :)).

Being that I haven't had any problems until now, I'm sure they will come up with something.

Minor update, no news yet. Sent them an email following up this morning.

For interests sake, I played about 4 hours straight yesterday, including some boosting, shopping and playing and I used a total of 30mb of data. Seems like there is very little information being passed back and forth while actually playing, most of the bandwidth was used connecting to the servers.

This means I am not concerned about playing while tethered, so I will probably be around a bit more :)

I understand the loyalty. We have a company that we are with now, Tek Savvy.... I call them Canada's Internet Darling. These guys run forums where they publicly decry almost all of Bell's monopolistic practices and have the best deals, prices and friendliest peeps on the phone to talk to. IF you've got a one year contract, they'll probably take care of you.

Are you going to ask for some money back for all this pain and itching?

:)

gogo

Minor update, no news yet. Sent them an email following up this morning.

For interests sake, I played about 4 hours straight yesterday, including some boosting, shopping and playing and I used a total of 30mb of data. Seems like there is very little information being passed back and forth while actually playing, most of the bandwidth was used connecting to the servers.

This means I am not concerned about playing while tethered, so I will probably be around a bit more :)

This is somewhat great news here mate!

Been far too long without your presence on the servers.

Cant wait to catch up. Dont forget your wedding... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Final result from my ISP is..

'Please find that I've rechecked with our Network Engineers and also performed several further tests, but we are unable to find out any issue within the Network. We can connect to your game server from our LNS router and also we can connect to your router from our LNS router without any problem. Therefore unfortunately nothing can be done from our side to fix this issue'

I am now attempting to contact Koch Media to see if they have any ideas.

:P

Well, that's interesting.

I have just dug out my old modem and I can connect with no problems. The problem is caused by my Netgear DGN2000.

Next step is to factory reset it and start again to see if it's a setting I have enabled.

But for now, I'm going to play some Sacred, hooray! ;)