Please, if I start to speak 'manisch' not even germans would understand me. English forums are a way for me to learn a bit english, so it would be nice if correct writing would be used and not too much slang expressions.

Special languages are as old as mankind I think. Rotwelsch or Gaunersprache (from the german Gauner "criminal" and Sprache "language") is a secret language, a cant or thieves' argot, spoken by covert groups primarily in southern Germany and Switzerland. I crew up around Wetzlar, lived 2 years on the Gummiinsel (rubber island, from the rubber factory mid in river) which is a part of the town Giessen. People on the Gummiinsel spoke nearly exclusivly manisch which is a variant of rotwelsch. So we, my sisters and my brother, used it as a secret language when the work of my dad made us moving around germany. I am no longer able to speak it fluently, lack of training, but I can still follow conversations.

Haha, I think we call that "Røverspråk" in Norwegian.

Even I speak no norwegian: Räuber is german for thief, so with a B->V shift Rover, Sprache is german for speech/language and close to sprak. I wonder if someone can program a translator which is not using lists but language and sound rules.

Even I speak no norwegian: Räuber is german for thief, so with a B->V shift Rover, Sprache is german for speech/language and close to sprak. I wonder if someone can program a translator which is not using lists but language and sound rules.

Yes, that is pretty much what it means, Chattius.

Røverspråk directly translated to English would be "Robber-language".

It is all related.

German, Norwegian and English.

They all root in Germanic, as far as I know.

'L33t Speak' irritates me to no end. English is a difficult language to learn with all its variations and definitions. On forums, I have seen many non-English speaking posters who want to learn English or have a hard time with it. L33t Speak does not help matters when people are trying to learn the language.

First of all I am happy to agree with everything everyone says here (how feeble can you get)

But what are all you folks worrying about. My wife is a fanatic. She reads about the English language. I believe (from her) that there are something like 29 identifiable versions of English, and that English in one version or another is a "Global" language.

Yes, I am a (very) old fashioned English semi-gentleman and abuse of the language I learnt is an affliction to my ears. Tough. I can understand Chattius very well, I can even understand Americans occasionally (LOL) which is more than I would do if they spoke German or Italian or Malaysian or Urdu or whatever. I have reluctantly to come to terms with the fact that "they" are trying to make American English international and having the effrontery to call it English.

Not easy to keep an open mind in face of all this "abuse" of a superbly flexible language. But the younger folks will not know the difference. I suppose it is the very flexibility of English that is both its strength and weakness. Compared that is with, say, French and other European languages.

But for pleasure give me Shakespeare or the King James version.

Edited by Bondbug

First of all I am happy to agree with everything everyone says here (how feeble can you get)

WARNING :- sitting on the fence can leave you with splinters in the ............ :twitch:

What do you want to do mate - ban 99% of the members from contributing ... OK ... OK ... I will make that 96%. And no splinter would dare come any where near my posterior.

WARNING :- sitting on the fence can leave you with splinters in the ............ :twitch:

What do you want to do mate - ban 99% of the members from contributing ... OK ... OK ... I will make that 96%. And no splinter would dare come any where near my posterior.

You exagerate Bondbug, I was thinking no more than 94% :P

As for the second bit, I just hope you have a big pair of tweezers handy, hehe.

****Off Topic Warning****

Gah you guys brought back a painful memory :o

I used to gaff telephone poles when I worked for a cablevision company. Gaffing was sooo much quicker then pulling a ladder on/off the truck. Unfortunately there is a danger to gaffing. It's climbing a pole that has dry-rotted. I was up near the top when one of my gaffs didn't stick and I fell down. I still was strapped around the pole so I burned (slid down against ) the pole all the way down. Now this pole had been gaffed numerous times so there were plenty of splinters to pick up on the way down :twitch: The doc said they pulled out about 100-200 out of my thighs, abdomen and chest. Some as long as 2-3 inches.

The 1st chance I got, I sold all my gaffing gear lol.

Here's a vid of gaffing for those unfamiliar with it. I never went this fast but otherwise it's pretty close.

Yeah. I love that Knuckles ... er ... that is ... I love the story ... not that ... I want to ... experience it ... so to speak. :unsure:

I struggle with even English, so I'm way outta my depth !

Eh? They still speak Gaelic in your area then, or whatever your local 'patois' may be? I mean ... even as a Geordie I still have a reasonable command of some form of English ... though I did have a problem with the rustic Devon accent of one of our drainlayers. He munched a raw onion for breakfast each morning ... more Garlic than Gaelic.

Oh heck ... off topic again.

Edited by Bondbug