History Of Sacred 2 Item Names?

Hey guys!

This could be fun if we can actually get info on this. We're looking to see if we can add to SacredWiki where the proper names of uniques, legendaries and set items are coming from. This could be a long list, but will add some more depth to the game via it's history and probably even some more Easter Eggs.

I'm wondering if we should put their meanings directly into the item page, or create their own page so that everyone can have a good time reading their history/meanings down the page one after another?

Any ideas on how to format this, as well as information on the items, and we can start to collect, collate and add.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

Maybe you could add a notes section at the bottom of each page? Could be a bit of work though...some of them refer to characters in the game (darworgan's circlet and warlady darworgan in the ancestors quest I think it is), some refer to the original/underworld (anducar and anducar's dark throughts) and others refer to actual people (such as anything to do with pyx...powerpyx from the SIF I assume). Determing exactly what the name refers to or whether its just a random name/named after a deity and not really an easter egg...could take a while :)

Well thanks to our Sacred 2 historian Barristan we at least know where Kaldurs Legacy came from. ;)

:D

I intend to write Artamarks Star as a next ingame book.... it's history is linked with the 'Tale of Northern History'

Greetz

This is great stuff! As well, as us trying to capture history that could have been responsible for the devs picking out these names, we'll also have great, created myth for the weapons from the community.

gogo

Maritha's Stake -> in german version Martha's Pfahl= Martha's Stake

If you speak the german name it sounds like Marterpfahl which is german for a stake which american indians used to tie people at. Then these people were tortured (gemartert).

748px-Crawford01.jpg

Because of all the Winetou movies and books we consumed as kids in germany the totem pole is often mistaken for a Marterphahl.

Picture from an old Karl May book:

ClausBergen_Kakhooto.jpg

Edited by chattius

I think the :Impaler_of_Heroes is named "Spiesser" in the german version. A Spiess is the german word for a long pike. In 14th and 15th century town people were quickly equipped with these weapons. Even before Martin Luther there were tries of reforming the church. So at revolts the town people equipped themself quickly with easy to make long pikes. They had great success in the early battles against the noble cavalry which was send against them when the pope called out a crusade.

A Spiessbürger, short Spiesser, was a town people who was equipped with a Spiess. With the coming up of black powder and firearms the tactics of the Spiesser failed more and more.

In modern german the word Spiesser stands for a person who lives in the past and can't/doesn't want adapt to modern times. This is a bit paradox because it were the 'Spiesser' who started the most revolts and wanted a change in old times.

But already in the early 19th century when the Brother Grimm wrote down the fairytale "Die sieben Schwaben" it was joked about Spiesser. In the faerytale 7 town people equipped with a single Spiess leave town to search for adventure. In a grass field they hear movement and preparing for a battle they line up along the Spiess, bravely they stood together, holding the Spiess in direction of the enemy, which proved to be a rabbit:

220px-Sieben_Schwaben_in_Schlachtordung.jpg

Thinking about it, could it be that Monty python got their idea for the killer rabbit from this?

300px-Rabbitattack.jpg

Edited by chattius

Excellent. This is what I was hoping for. Explanatations for all the items that perhaps one will think "easy" but another will be delighted with. DB, I didn't know much about that quest...so your explanation of the names was good news for me. Chattius, the history lesson is good bonus this morning with this coffee. And so, our list begins. Anyone know any others?

For Example...the set names. Detheya, Velaria, etc... who ARE these peeps

:bounce:

gogo

p.s. DB you think we should put the info directly into the item pages? I was thinking also about making links to an entire seperate page....but think you're right...it's going to be kind of unwieldy...and all for just an explanation of name. Still though, kind of interesting. Maybe we can pull out some wizardry with formatting on this if anyone has some way of referencing it neatly?

Lar's Hammer: Lars Hammer was an audio designer at Ascaron I think. Same name in german version.

Regnif Dlog's Goldbringer: "Regnif Dlogs Güldenmacher" (gold/money maker) in german version. If you read it backwards you get Goldfinger, a James Bond Movie.

Unyielding_Wall: In the german version it is called "Wall des Westens" means wall/rampart of the west. In german you can write it as one word too: Westwall. The Westwall is named Siegfried line in english. Hitler promised that the Westwall was an unyielding rampart.

• 2 weeks later...

What an interesting discussion is going on here! Seriously, I always enjoy searching for connections between various things in games. Looks like I can share some of my observations. Quite an obvious ones for now though...

1. There must be a connection between the chain-quest The Legend of Gronkor and the unique polearm Gronkor's Downfall. The fun fact is (if I'm not mistaken) that orcish hero Gronkor is said to be killed with elven arrow and this polearm is an arrow-shaped spear. Quite a big arrows those elves have...

Gronkor's Medal goes there too. I can't imagine an orkish medal though.

2. I wonder if seraphim's set Sofia's Benevolence is named after seraphims' leader Sophia, the oldest seraphim. In some languages those names are definitely spelled the same way.

3. The ring Kybele's Tear obviosly refers to the goddess, but also to the myth of her. If you read the book about Kybele, you'd find out that it were her tears that brought life to the sadly lifeless world.

4. The reason behind Nyarlathotep's Creeping Madness is obviously H. P. Lovecraft (Nyarlathotep in wiki). By the way, I always was interested why many computer games have something to do with Lovecraft. But that's another question.

5. I wonder if Arni's Ring has something to do with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Probaly not.

6.Jodah's Ornament supposedly is a reference to Jodah from Magic: The Gathering franchise who was a powerful mage. He also had a magical mirror. These facts seem fitting to the bonuslist of this amulet. The funny fact here is that in russian version this amulet is named 'Амулет Йоды'( 'Yoda's Ornament') which adds to the list of Star Wars references in Sacred.

7. Amulet of the Sereish. If I'm not mistaken, there was a Sereish's set in Sacred Underworld.

Well, these ones are the first to come to my mind. When I remember more I'd add description here. If you aren't tired of me yet.

By the way, did you notice that Gods' names are also a reference. I remember that Kybele is a real Phrygian deity. There was something about others too, but I can't remember it now. Maybe later.

EDIT

Yes, I've finally found the dead thread about gods. Though I still think those facts should be added to wiki. At least to prevent newbies like me from talking about it again. I'm pretty sure that the reason behind Kybele and Lumen was really found.

/EDIT

Edited by Silver_fox

What an interesting discussion is going on here! Seriously, I always enjoy searching for connections between various things in games. Looks like I can share some of my observations. Quite an obvious ones for now though...

1. There must be a connection between the chain-quest The Legend of Gronkor and the unique polearm Gronkor's Downfall. The fun fact is (if I'm not mistaken) that orcish hero Gronkor is said to be killed with elven arrow and this polearm is an arrow-shaped spear. Quite a big arrows those elves have...

Gronkor's Medal goes there too. I can't imagine an orkish medal though.

2. I wonder if seraphim's set Sofia's Benevolence is named after seraphims' leader Sophia, the oldest seraphim. In some languages those names are definitely spelled the same way.

3. The ring Kybele's Tear obviosly refers to the goddess, but also to the myth of her. If you read the book about Kybele, you'd find out that it were her tears that brought life to the sadly lifeless world.

4. The reason behind Nyarlathotep's Creeping Madness is obviously H. P. Lovecraft (Nyarlathotep in wiki). By the way, I always was interested why many computer games have something to do with Lovecraft. But that's another question.

5. I wonder if Arni's Ring has something to do with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Probaly not.

6.Jodah's Ornament supposedly is a reference to Jodah from Magic: The Gathering franchise who was a powerful mage. He also had a magical mirror. These facts seem fitting to the bonuslist of this amulet. The funny fact here is that in russian version this amulet is named 'Амулет Йоды'( 'Yoda's Ornament') which adds to the list of Star Wars references in Sacred.

7. Amulet of the Sereish. If I'm not mistaken, there was a Sereish's set in Sacred Underworld.

Well, these ones are the first to come to my mind. When I remember more I'd add description here. If you aren't tired of me yet.

By the way, did you notice that Gods' names are also a reference. I remember that Kybele is a real Phrygian deity. There was something about others too, but I can't remember it now. Maybe later.

1.) The Orcs might not seem like they're big on "bling" but they do have a few medallions/amulets. You get one for completing the Master of the Hunt quest (either one - light or shadow).

3.) There's a river that flows through the jungle known as Kybele's Tears as well.

7.) Sereish or Seraish - is a word meaning having to do with the Seraphim - such as Elvish would mean belonging to the elves or Polish has to do with the people/customs/whatnot of Poland.

There are actually TWO sets in Sacred 1/Underworld by that name - Lightning of the Sereish and Thunder of the Sereish.

There's also a set in Sacred 2 called the Origin of the Seraish.

Edited by wolfie2kX

7.) Sereish or Seraish - is a word meaning having to do with the Seraphim - such as Elvish would mean belonging to the elves or Polish has to do with the people/customs/whatnot of Poland.

There are actually TWO sets in Sacred 1/Underworld by that name - Lightning of the Sereish and Thunder of the Sereish.

Interesting. It really seems to be a right idea. Bur if it is meant to be the same word how it happened to be two of them? And I actually never thought of it that way. Probably because russian publishers left this word untranslated, so it sounded like a name, not like an adjective. And I must admit that it was a long time since I played Sacred 1. Though I completed this game many times and still love it, there are things I start to forget. Sorry if it annoys you.

And I know orcs have amulets. I just can't imagine them being officially medalled for their great deeds. They probably have different way to award their heroes. Probably a more practical one.

Edited by Silver_fox

Interesting. It really seems to be a right idea. Bur if it is meant to be the same word how it happened to be two of them? And I actually never thought of it that way. Probably because russian publishers left this word untranslated, so it sounded like a name, not like an adjective. And I must admit that it was a long time since I played Sacred 1. Though I completed this game many times and still love it, there are things I start to forget. Sorry if it annoys you.

And I know orcs have amulets. I just can't imagine them being officially medalled for their great deeds. They probably have different way to award their heroes. Probably a more practical one.

Eh.. Who knows. Words change over time. The US was of course, once a bunch of British colonies 200+ years ago - and one would assume that English-English would be very similar to American-English - and yet, there are a LOT of spelling changes that have happened in the intervening time. Consider the spelling of the word Color (US) vs Colour (UK).

I know the feeling... I've played Sacred 1 quite a few times to the point of burning out on it a bit. Nothing annoying about that. I was merely refreshing your memory with the links.. We may be forgetful, but the Wiki will be there to fill in those mental gaps... :D

Don't forget - the Orcs (and pretty much all of the other races in Ancaria) have access to magic and their shaman can infuse their jewelry with different magical properties. Their "bling" isn't just for show - it's to enhance their abilities. I would assume those items are earned by proving ones self in one way or another.

• 3 months later...

Bump! :bounce: As mentioned in the updates page for Wiki, these notes can be brought directly into the Uniques page per as least...and if anyone wants to, a new Easter Eggs page can be put together, and we can "call" or just put in the same info as was put in first in the uniques page.

Chattius, you have an Impaler here which is your info, and Silver you have some of your own goodies on this page as well. Silver I just read through your ideas for historical references... yeah the list is pretty fascinating!

gogo