Darkest Kitchen: Trying out recipes found in Sacred 2

From Sacred2: Book_1_-_Orcish_Cooking :

Main course: Bristly Grunting Thing

Original: Kill bristly grunting thing. Remove teeth. Cook it.

Adjusted:

* 1 wild boar
   * 50 onion
   * 10 garlic
   * 20 liters of beer 

Remove the boar hide and let the boar bleed dry. Open it and remove all guts and organs. Fill with onions and garlic. Place on a spit and over a fire. Spin around for 9-10 hours. Baste with beer frequently during the roasting process.
The wild boar is ready when the eyeballs begin to drop out. 

150px-Ganzes_Spanferkel.jpg

Okay this food actually sounds eatable. So a bunch of fearless bunch of german firefighters who played Sacred for years at Sacred weekends will give it a try. We have an open door weekend starting tomorrow so people can watch out new Firefighter truck, learn how to prevent and fight kitchen fires, watch kids of our firefighting club do firefighting tournaments versus kids from other clubs,....

One of our Spanferkel (suckling pigs) will be prepared in the dark kitchen way, using a original Sacred2 recipe. Well we replace the boar by a suckling pig and reduce the onions at bit and half of the beer will be drunk, We bought 3 dead suckling pigs and I just finished removing all the bones and a whining firefighter friend is ready to do the onion and garlic filling. Seems he never helped his wife in kitchen, cutting 25 onions and 10 garlic gives a lot of tears if not cutting them in water.

To get an idea how much bones are cut away:

2 of 3 pigs are prepared as in the video. The third differs in the filling. The Sacred recipe is used and it is grilled on a pole instead in a cage and we use no salt, pepper or other spices. But I removed the eyes already, would be a bit to cruel to watch kids falling eyes out from a pig. The esitimated time to be medium is around 4 hours, it is not a full grown out boar.

So brave players, try out the other recipes, some sound really tasty.

Edited by chattius

Starter: Long-eared fast-thing

Original: Kill long-eared fast-thing and cook it.

Adjusted:

* 1 rabbit, cut into pieces

* 1 onion

* 2 1/4 cup flour

* salt

* pepper

* cooking oil

Brown onions in cooking oil. Dredge rabbit pieces in flour, salt and pepper. Put oil, onions and rabbit pieces into a frying pan and cook until the rabbit pieces are browned on all sides. Take out the meat and make a sauce from the oil and onions by sprinkling in flour. When the gravy is brown, add some water and return the rabbit meat into the mixture. Cook until sauce thickens.

We make rabbit pie at the restaurant, as part of a main course, Game study, served with an ostrich fillet, and a stuffed quail, a cognac sauce and polenta, truly delicious!

Atleast we don't have to catch and kill the long eared fast thing. I will upload some food pictures at a later date when I've taken some more photos! my specialty of course being desserts!

here is a picture of a delicious cheesecake with some fresh fruit

post-15332-0-85297900-1296901432_thumb.jpg

Edited by Delta!

The Spanferkel is no more: it was very tasty. We served it with dices of sour dough (baked fresh at the local baking house today) and a dip of bear garlic, horse radish and mustard. I sold the last piece half an hour ago. Without salt and pepper it was a wise idea to do the filling a day before so the aromic oils could find their way into the meat and do serve it with bread and a spicy dip.

We used Altbier to spray it on the pig while grilling. Just filled a plant sprayer with beer to do the trick. Did a crispy and tasty surface.

In spring we will try the pike. Okay have to leave, the semi-finals for kids firefighting tournament start soon.

Edited by chattius

The Spanferkel is no more: it was very tasty. We served it with dices of sour dough (baked fresh at the local baking house today) and a dip of bear garlic, horse radish and mustard. I sold the last piece half an hour ago. Without salt and pepper it was a wise idea to do the filling a day before so the aromic oils could find their way into the meat and do serve it with bread and a spicy dip.

We used Altbier to spray it on the pig while grilling. Just filled a plant sprayer with beer to do the trick. Did a crispy and tasty surface.

In spring we will try the pike. Okay have to leave, the semi-finals for kids firefighting tournament start soon.

Heavy sigh... That sounds soooo good right about now... :drool:

Had some talking with my boss at the first open door day at firefighters. He does fishing as a hobby. The recipe for pike in the dryad cooking book could be found in a magazine for fishing. Just the cinnamon was replaced by another spice. So it is a eatible recipe too.

Pike has low fat meat, so it is mainly boiled here in some sort of marinate. I like my grandfathers recipe to boil it in a mix of white whine and Sauerkraut. If the slime surrounding the fish was not damaged at catching, I try to make it blue, using vinegar, but else the same recipe, except the pike has now a bluw skin. The area I live has no water big enough for pikes, so if I am lucky I get one 10-pounder a year from a friend who does fishing.

For grilling a pike fat has to be added, mainly Speck: 220px-Speck-1.jpg

either the Speck is cut in stripes and placed in holes cut in the pike skin, makes it look like a hedgehog fish gefuellter_Hecht3.jpg

or stripes of bacon are wrapped around a filled pike before grilling gefuellter_Hecht1.jpg

or it gets a mantle of spiced dough (often beer instead water used)

or it is either filled with Speck and some herbs

or...

Edited by chattius

Had some talking with my boss at the first open door day at firefighters. He does fishing as a hobby. The recipe for pike in the dryad cooking book could be found in a magazine for fishing. Just the cinnamon was replaced by another spice. So it is a eatible recipe too.

Yes, it is! I've had Pike, but not any recipe per se... just baked in the oven with lemon slices and some spice (only black pepper for me). It is not as good as other fish taken from the same water (trout, perch) but better than bass (smallmouth).

Pike has low fat meat, so it is mainly boiled here in some sort of marinate. I like my grandfathers recipe to boil it in a mix of white whine and Sauerkraut. If the slime surrounding the fish was not damaged at catching, I try to make it blue, using vinegar, but else the same recipe, except the pike has now a bluw skin.

Yes, both times I ate it, it was very dry because I did not know to put extra fat/marinade. Mmmm, bacon-fish :)

The area I live has no water big enough for pikes, so if I am lucky I get one 10-pounder a year from a friend who does fishing.

I think you are lucky not to have Pike. Once they reach an area, it it not too long before they eliminate most other predatory species. A juvenile Lake Trout usually does not have any enemies (except man) so Pike find them to be very easy prey

• 3 months later...

The sacred book has: wine quart and quart. If both would be the same the honey/water ratio would be wrong.

http://www.pbm.com/pipermail/hist-brewing/2002/006988.html

This link was a little ways down the page in the Google search for wine quart. I hope it helps!

I found that wine quart is used in the bible, so it is a VERY old measurement...

• 9 months later...

As a memorial we did a pike eating with our Sacred 2 playing group from firefighters. We cleared the water reservoir (a big pond or a small lake) used for forest fires and found that several big pikes eliminated most of the carps so the lake was full of algae.

Since the last big clearing of the lake was 5 years back, probably pike eggs attached to duck feathers brought the pikes into the lake.

Also 2 old bicycles, 117 bottles -61 of them gave return money, 4 cars tyres, ... lot of waste :(

But at least the pike following the SAcred 2 recipe were tasty. Anyone else considering a memorial eating?

As a memorial we did a pike eating with our Sacred 2 playing group from firefighters. We cleared the water reservoir (a big pond or a small lake) used for forest fires and found that several big pikes eliminated most of the carps so the lake was full of algae.

Just a few pikes was able to do this? Cool idea with the memorial eating though!

Since the last big clearing of the lake was 5 years back, probably pike eggs attached to duck feathers brought the pikes into the lake.

When I hear stuff like this, always makes me wonder about how careful new geneticists really are... I know that in some countries, they are trying to develop wheat seeds that self terminate so that the buyers have to keep re-purchasing with the seeds supposedly having no chance of germinating? Profit is showing up in really strange areas...but what if these terminators spread... course, the creators say they can't, x and x number of km they can travel...but as you posted Chattius... we're all connected huh :D

But at least the pike following the SAcred 2 recipe were tasty. Anyone else considering a memorial eating?

Hadn't, but maybe this bears some creativity... I did see a llama around here just a few days ago

:devil:

gogo

I have seen some of these strange llama sheeps recently ;)

1142_report_01.jpg

You see this long necked not yet roasted beast between all these sheeps?

No joking, several shepherds have lama among their sheeps. Watchtowers in areas with the recently reappearing of the lynx. In difference to sheep lama attack smaller predators, so less loss of new born sheep.

• Like! 1
  • 1 year later...

I think the Cackling Thing and the Deer Roast might be possible for me. A roasted chicken I could probably do myself. And there are deer hunters all around my community who always seem to have choice venison.

Dessert: Cackling Thing

Original: Kill cackling thing. Remove beak and feet. Cook it.

Adjusted:

• 1 chicken
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup mace
  • 1/2 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/2 ginger
  • 1/4 cup almonds

Pluck the chicken and remove all guts, head, feet and organs. Put honey, mace and sugar into a bowl and stir well. Apply the mixture to the chicken. Put the chicken into the oven and leave to roast until the skin is gold/brown.

Deer Roast
  • 4-6 onions
  • 4-6 wild chili
  • 4-6 garlic cloves
  • salt
  • red pepper
  • lemon juice
  • water
  • fat

Cut the onions, chili and garlic into small pieces. Cut small holes in the deer meat and insert pieces of onion, garlic and chili into the holes. Mix salt and pepper and insert the mixture into the same holes.

Mix lemon juice and water. Pour over the meat and marinate overnight. Cook the meat in a large saucepan. Melt the fat in the saucepan and add some water. Leave to cook for 4 to 6 hours on low heat. Remove the roast and thicken the gravy with some flour.

I'd love to try that Dryad Stew though.

Dryad Stew
  • short ribs of wild boar separated by rib
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 5 cups beef stock
  • 1/2 spoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 spoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 spoon ground mace
  • 2 spoon cardamom
  • 4 peppercorns
  • 1 onion
  • 6 sprg. parsley
  • 1 spoon sage
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1/4 spoon saffron
  • whole wheat bread

Chop the parsley and sage, cut the onion into small pieces and crush the cardamom. Dust the ribs with the flour, fry it in the oil until it is brown. Add the stock as well as the spices and herbs except for the saffron and leave to simmer for two hours. Soak in the vinegar and saffron with the bread, puree it and stir it into the stew. Check seasoning, then simmer for another half an hour.

• Like! 1

with those quantities, and the quantities of the other ingredients, I'm 100% sure it means teaspoon.

Delta!

the real question - what sort of "spoon" is that referring to? Teaspoon? Tablespoon? Serving Spoon?

• Like! 1