Battle: Los Angeles

masteff

My first impression: It's a knock off of War of the Worlds, Independence Day or any of the other plethora of alien invasion flicks. Is it any good? I dunno.

I was thinking Independence Day. It does look cool, though.

I was thinking independance day when I first saw this. There have been a slew of invasion movies lately, which I love.

Skyline

Monsters

Alien Cowboys

Battle for LA

We can even lob in Cloverfield (yay)

What else?

This is the best trailer for Battle for LA that I've seen though, they showed a lot more effects.

Another theatre pick?

:bounce:

gogo

From Wikipedia on the info below: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles

From the entertainment section of my local paper:

An alien invasion? Maybe in L.A.

by: MICHAEL SMITH World Scene Writer

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The alien-invasion movie "Battle: Los Angeles" opens in Tulsa theaters on March 11, and -- believe it or not -- it is inspired by real events that took place during World War II.

Friday, Feb. 25, is the 69th anniversary of a 1942 event that found a series of unidentified flying objects in the sky above the Los Angeles-area coastline, according to newspaper reports.

Just months removed from Pearl Harbor, air raids sirens were sounded, a blackout was ordered and military forces fired about 1,400 anti-aircraft shells at the object or objects, believed to be Japanese aircraft, but without success.

Or did they down a craft, UFO theorists have speculated, and not tell the public the truth about what they found? The mystery remains to this day, inspiring filmmakers to take the next logical step.

lol

that's actually pretty cool

Masteff, do you read up on conspiracies? I once saw a good movie with Mel Brooks...forget what it was called.. he had an amazing lair within which he was holing himself up from supposed authorities that he kept telling this reporter were after him.

Forget what it was called, but it kept me watching, even though conspiracy stuff is kind of luke warm for me.

:unsure:

gogo

Probably a movie which I won't watch at cinema.

Shouldn't an alien race which is capable of using meteors as weapons just use a big one to cause an earthquake to eliminate california including LA?

A more realistic scenario would be that the last survivors would be soldiers who were punished by army for not listening orders and other stuff and being send somewhere close to the north pole to guard a total unvaluable object of no stratetic meaning. Would allow better character development too, no brave heroes, but a bunch of bad boys who rescue the world. To make it a seller, add an international camp of good looking female students nearby who research global warming or something like this.

But probably holywood was only allowed to use army equipment if the army doesn't look bad in the movie? So it is probably just another nothing bad can happen we have the army movie.

It is full of special effects which will be only funny and laughable in 10-20 years when we have 3dimenional movies with smells and seats which are like flight simulators, shaking when an explosion hits, so people get a feeling what the soldiers feel.

Some movies are still good after decades because they have good actors, a good writing and story and it doesn't matter if they are black and white movies. But I doubt this is valid for this type of movies.

I wonder if The Swarm will come to cinemas this year.

I wonder if The Swarm will come to cinemas this year.

That is a killer idea. Kind of reminds me of when the plants were attacking all the humans in M. Night Shimalayan's movie with gasses that would make humans commit suicide. I like the breadth of different attacks in the swam idea though. More than enough ways to take out a species here on planet earth is another species had a few of the genii attack-trained.

:blink:

gogo

My first thought was 'another invasion movie?' :P I'm personally all for an alien invasion movie with less cheese. :P I doubt I'll be all over the cinemas for it, but if nothing else I like the trailer.