Anyone using a shredder at home?

Work sent me one a few months back when I started to work at home.

32170.jpg

I never used it, but Schot dug it out a few weeks back and has been using it religiously. My mom actually constantly on the phone is gong on about how she won't ever throw anything out with any of her information on it unless it goes through the machine.

You guys taking this kind of identity protection stuff seriously, shredder on the premises?

:)

gogo

p.s.

With Arizona being the #1 state for identity theft, I always shred items with personal information. Anything with an important number goes into it, and I have it located next to my computers for easy access.

Edited by DaveO

I do have one, but I don't use it religiously since I have little to nothing that requires shredding, and there's the fact it jams too easily. :P All things considering, it doesn't take much for your identity to be abused, but it's much harder to recover from it.

I fear I did the normal mistake thinking that words have same meanings in different languages:

My Schredder looks like this:

hi_rail_unimog_by_mechanicman-d38aops.jpg

Except my Unimog is older and the exhaust pipe of the shredder is longer and blows into a trailer behind the unimog. Very useful when forced to clean the road to our house after a heavy storm. Unimogs are funny cars, much like swiss army knives. There is a gadget for everything.

Your shredder we call Aktenvernichter (document destroyer), Reisswolf (tearing wolf),...

It is allways funny that some people use the broad variants without thinking: Putting papers in so that the lines remain.

Edited by chattius

Living in a rural area, I have an option probably not available to most: Burning.

There is always something to burn... fallen branches from wind/ice storms, sometimes entire trees, endless supplies of junk that was stored umpteen years ago by fathers, grandfathers, uncles, etc.... so why not throw the bank statements, etc into the mix.

A "more green" approach would be to have a shredder and put the shredded material into the compost; however I dislike putting paper into my compost as I cannot say what processes and/or chemicals were used to make said paper. That, and those darn squirrels who can manage to piece together shredded material and rack up long-distance charges on my Visa. :bob: