Back up SP character

I checked my installation, and there are files for each character. Just look for heroX.sacred2save and heroX.sacred2stats. On my Windows 7 machine the files are located in my User folder under Saved Games/Ascaron Entertainment/Sacred 2.

Edited by DaveO

Is it possible to back up an SP character?

Yes.

In Windows 7 (I believe you mentioned that you had that), you go to the Saved Games folder under your personal UserID, and go into the Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2 folder. You can also go directly there by way of c:\Users\[userid]\Saved Games\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2\

You'll find files like Chest.sacred2chest and a bunch of files that are called something like Hero01.sacred2save and Hero01.sacred2stats.

The chest file is the shared chest that's common to all characters. It's also your trophy case where your achievements are kept.

Copy all files from that location to whatever external media you want. All single player and local LAN multiplayer and Open-Net game files are saved there.

There are GUI's for some basic settings, doing backups, ....

like this (hope it is the english version):

http://clubs.4gamers.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=277

Edit: I answered to your dying computer thread 2 minutes before you did another post, so probably you haven't read it.

I have only been playing for just over a week, so my sole SP character is all I really have to back up for now. All of the settings are still at the defaults.

My last couple posts were rushed before work, so no I did not see your reply about my pc. I am at lunch now, so I have time to check it out.

I just take a copy of that file and copy it to my desk top when I want to back them up.

That'll work as long as the PC in question is healthy... He's having problems though. He's going to need to put them somewhere else should he have to blow out the Windows installation and start over. In his case, a flash drive, USB thumb drive, or external hard drive would be better. He could even zip up his files and email them to himself. Just as long as he doesn't delete it from the mail server...

I frequently back up stuff to my desktop. It is handy if you are trying a quick change that you may want to immediately roll back. That way you can easily find the files, and you are less likely to forget to remove them because of their conspicuous location.

But as wolfie said, I am worried now about hardware failure, so I want to save them external to my pc.

My daughters use the tool posted above to store saves on backup media, or do automatic backups of savefiles every 15 minutes and stuff like this. You can enter where you want your backups stored - including external media. So backup on stick, play a bit in youth-club with friends, save on stick ,continue playing at home, ...

I frequently back up stuff to my desktop. It is handy if you are trying a quick change that you may want to immediately roll back. That way you can easily find the files, and you are less likely to forget to remove them because of their conspicuous location.

But as wolfie said, I am worried now about hardware failure, so I want to save them external to my pc.

You are wise to worry about it, I had problems with my old computer which resulted in data corruption. In my case it was power surges which corrupted my harddrive, backup harddrive AND external harddrive (it may have been external, but that doesn't necessarily protect it if it still connected to your computer!) I lost all my characters and save games for all of the games I played. As well as all of my pictures, documents and music files. I now make sure that my backups are to flashdrive (which I remove when not being used!) and emergency 2nd backup of my most important stuff to CD/DVD.

I never intend to lose everything ever again.

Edited by podgie_bear

You are wise to worry about it, I had problems with my old computer which resulted in data corruption. In my case it was power surges which corrupted my harddrive, backup harddrive AND external harddrive (it may have been external, but that doesn't necessarily protect it if it still connected to your computer!) I lost all my characters and save games for all of the games I played. As well as all of my pictures, documents and music files. I now make sure that my backups are to flashdrive (which I remove when not being used!) and emergency 2nd backup of my most important stuff to CD/DVD.

I never intend to lose everything ever again.

Good luck with that... Seriously...

My very first PC came with a 40 MB hard drive (sheesh. Good luck finding files that small these days!) and I remember downloading something - a game file. I just got done with downloading and I was in the process of slipping a floppy disk (yep.. This was a LONG time ago...) into the drive so I could copy the file to it into the drive when the drive took a dump on me. I didn't have the file on my hard drive for more than maybe 2 minutes when everything went south. The drive itself - prior to it doing this - had not exhibited any signs of having any problems.

The bottom line - Feces occurs. You can back stuff up but if the hard drive decides to drop dead, there may not be much you can do about it.

My daughters use the tool posted above to store saves on backup media, or do automatic backups of savefiles every 15 minutes and stuff like this. You can enter where you want your backups stored - including external media. So backup on stick, play a bit in youth-club with friends, save on stick ,continue playing at home, ...

Sounds like quite the tool. I will definitely look it up when I get my hardware problem resolved.

wolfie is correct that there are no absolutes. The best thing you can do is make a reasonable effort and reduce the probability of loss. And test your backups. An important lesson I learned when attempting to restore the workspace for my Eclipse-based IDE.

• Like! 1

wolfie is correct that there are no absolutes. The best thing you can do is make a reasonable effort and reduce the probability of loss. And test your backups. An important lesson I learned when attempting to restore the workspace for my Eclipse-based IDE.

Excellent advice! I've had backup disks (CDs and DVDs as well as floppies) suddenly cease being readable - even though I took good care of the disks. Best solution I've found - keep multiple copies of files in multiple places - preferably NOT on the same computer. This is why programmers created the Verify function for backup and burning software.

• 3 weeks later...

There are GUI's for some basic settings, doing backups, ....

like this (hope it is the english version):

http://clubs.4gamers.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=277

Edit: I answered to your dying computer thread 2 minutes before you did another post, so probably you haven't read it.

Yes, that is the English version. I loaded it, set the backup option and for it to run in the sys tray. It looks like a great little tool, thanks! :)

• 2 years later...

Is it possible to back up an SP character?

Yes.

In Windows 7 (I believe you mentioned that you had that), you go to the Saved Games folder under your personal UserID, and go into the Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2 folder. You can also go directly there by way of c:\Users\[userid]\Saved Games\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2\

You'll find files like Chest.sacred2chest and a bunch of files that are called something like Hero01.sacred2save and Hero01.sacred2stats.

The chest file is the shared chest that's common to all characters. It's also your trophy case where your achievements are kept.

Copy all files from that location to whatever external media you want. All single player and local LAN multiplayer and Open-Net game files are saved there.

You say the common chest file also stores achievements.

If I wanted to start over and reset achievements to zero.....?

How would I do that?

(I just got the Steam version on sale, and it runs better than my previous cd version but I didnt remove the old saves before installing it.)