What is the latest big real life project you started?

Today is my first day at my new job, I'm super psyched, and excited, but also a bit nervous(what if I'm not what they expected?). But just living in the beautiful Cape Winelands are already worth it. will post pictures later on, but it is scenic mountains, and vineyards, and the area is soooo green!

Delta!

Today is my first day at my new job, I'm super psyched, and excited, but also a bit nervous(what if I'm not what they expected?). But just living in the beautiful Cape Winelands are already worth it. will post pictures later on, but it is scenic mountains, and vineyards, and the area is soooo green!

Delta!

Congrats!! Hope you enjoy the Cape, maaan :sun: Remember getting out of bed before 9am is considered a felony... :oooo:

Delta!

Congrats! Hope you enjoy the Cape, maaan :sun: Remember getting out of bed before 9am is considered a felony... :oooo:

Thank you, the Cape is wonderfull, but unfortunately work starts at 7:00 in the morning already. what a shocker for me, I used to get up at 8 to be at work at 10:00 only! But working at Delaire is sooooo worth it, the stuff I'm learning is brilliant! I'll post pictures in Good food we serve at the restaurant soon, but so far it is only desserts.

Delta!

zomgod, Theuns, it sounds like you've run off too retire to some lush wine land where delicious chef-cooked foods grow on trees?

:o

gogo

P.s. Tell me about the plating test. Do they make you plate a food item from your own repertoire, or do they show you something on their own menu that they want you to see if you can handle? Are you presenting yourself as a desert mainly cook or as Savory as well?

• 4 weeks later...

The whidow of my best friend asked me to put names on old pictures from the time before she met him. I started with the first concert I visited with my nowadays wife, my friend and his then girlfriend: Fury in the Slaughterhouse. We drove there with motorbikes and put up tents and a campfire before we returned.

Won't forget these days:

I had a guitar. a harmonica and a tamborine with me. Had a sidecar on my bike,so I had some room. We sung some of the Fury's songs, mainly 'Radio Orchid'. It is a fantastic song for campfires,but rarely played on radio.

Ive started planing to make my knight armor, I'm wish to join medieval reenactment groups all over Europe and set my self as a good example of knightly conduct and skill.

My first task was relatively simple find a reliable blacksmith who shares my passion for medieval arms, then convince him to help me. The biggest hurdle I have now is getting enough cash to make the project a reality.

First I wish to make a sword, a templar great helm, a pair of gauntlets and sabatons.

To give you a idea the helm looks like this...My link

The greathelm and sword arent mine, but the chain mail is, and to give you a impression as to how hard it is to be a knight that chain mail weighs 15 kg.

Edited by Lord Marius
  • 10 years later...

Two weeks ago I dismantled our Fasssauna (barrel sauna) to check for damages, moulds, ... Rebuild will be this weekend at my brothers place.

Our house, barns are under cultural heritage protection. So permanent buildings (such with a fundament) are not allowed or need a long paperfight. The barrel type sauna can be easily dismantled. Its sockets keep it away from ground so it stays dry and is in less danger to rot. The round shape is least surface to volume, It also has few angles where water could condense. The new Fasssauna will be way bigger because of the bigger family (hope covid isn't a factore in summer). Two cousins are carpenters and I am not a complete beinner in woodwork and so the costs will be really minimal. just the needed not selfmade parts (42mm thick panorama thermo glas, electric oven, screws and mounts), 10 pizza and a 50 litre barrel beer ~ 6000€. Cost when a company would build an equivalent one would be 22000+€. Okay the cousins asked if they could show it to possible customers. They plan to make parts for more saunas in winter when the carpenter business is on low flame, so mine is just a prototype.

The sauna-side will be pointing towards the ponds and the valley. It will be like two barrels with a connecting part with the entrance door. One barrel with the sauna and the panorama window, one barrel to change clothes, the electrics and storage. Doing two barrels will keep the planks short- so easy to dismantle. Should be hydraulic liftable for transport without dismantling. This is needed for access to the in mountain rooms behind the which are part of our water clearing.

Without all the extras, a do it yourself two person barrelsauna starts at around 1000 euro. To get an idea about what I mean with panorama window:

Panoramic-Barrel-Sauna11.jpg

• zomgod! 1