Broken Image / Combat Art Video Project

Hi all.

I just thought I would give a quick update on a project for Sacred Wiki which I finally got some time to start. I'll be working on it most days until it's done (I have until mid-August off).

First, I'll be going through all of the CAs and updating the broken images. The images won't be HD quality (my capture card only records in SD), but it's better than the "This image or video has been removed" images.

Also, I'll be recording videos of all of the CAs (already posted some for the Seraphim), showing the CA in action and some (if not all) of the variations based on equipped weapon type. I've decided to leave these as links instead of trying to embed them (to keep loading time down on the CA pages). They'll be coming from my YouTube account, so the link will go directly to the video.

Right now the links to the videos are just text. If I get the chance, I'll create an image to replace the text link.

Any suggestions/requests are welcome.

Thanks.

Awesome idea!

the pix of Combat Arts have been hungering for images for a while, I know that a number of us have found some, but the project never got completed...this is great work if possible!

and, SacredWiki has it's own Youtube ACcount. I will pm you the password soon as Schot is here, and you can upload your videos to that for the Wiki.

We've had Youtube videos embedded in the pages before, load speed is not too bad... we can try to see how it ends up after getting video on the page?

:)

gogo

Seraphim CAs are almost done (just waiting on the last video to upload to YouTube, then I'll add the link).

As soon as that's finished, I'll see what the load speed is like with the video embedded. I'll put the video at the bottom of the page (since it'll take up a fair amount of room). Right now, I have the link under the image.

Don't worry about the SacredWiki password. I have a decent amount of them uploaded to my YouTube account right now, so I'll keep on using it. Thanks though!

Excellent and perfect timing Mystix! I'm starting to go through and update the writing on the CA pages, so this will work out nicely. Beautiful CA pages for everyone :drunkards:

If you embed the links, will they load with the page, or only when you click the video to play it? The reason I ask is twofold. One, I normally access the wiki on 3G, so speed is a concern. Two, unlimited internet is not universal and some people in Europe have a metered amount.

Excellent and perfect timing Mystix! I'm starting to go through and update the writing on the CA pages, so this will work out nicely. Beautiful CA pages for everyone :drunkards:

Huzzah! Looking forward to your updates!

If you embed the links, will they load with the page, or only when you click the video to play it? The reason I ask is twofold. One, I normally access the wiki on 3G, so speed is a concern. Two, unlimited internet is not universal and some people in Europe have a metered amount.

Unfortunately, they will load with the page. Though loading speed was my biggest concern, cellphone incompatibility and bandwidth are two very good additional reasons to keep them as links. Granted, they're not very large videos, but visiting (or reloading) more than a few times could be problematic for those with bandwidth restrictions.

Well, that and I can't seem to find any function which allows it to be embedded into the Wiki right now. The alternatives that I haven't tried yet (coding-wise) will take some thought, and I'm still not sure if the wiki supports the coding that I'd use.

...And now that I'm finished dinner: Round 2 of Recording - Shadow Warrior Edition!

I'm going to talk to Schot about this, he should be back soon regarding the re-formatting of the CA pages.

Mystix, this is great work you've putting into this project, but for the official Wiki Pages, we'd have to use the Sacredwiki youtube account to make sure that all the information is accessible, permanent, and a part of the Wiki Database.

SacredWiki Youtube

As you said you've already done the Seraphim pix that's good, but, if possible, to upload any more videos to the Wiki Youtube account once we get you the password?

This way they're always accessible to anyone working on the wiki in the future as well, reason being we have had some experiences in the past with members' personal YouTube and photobucket accounts being used on the Wiki, which is why we now try hard to keep the data on official wiki pages on official wiki resources to make it easier for everyone to contribute and work with.

Regarding load times for all the new images and movies, what we can do is create a link on each Combat Arts page that can connect to a new page coming off of it, perhaps something like

Cleansing Brilliance Images and Videos (or something like that)

This way, there will always be one pic top right of page, the one that is "symbolic" of the CA... and to illustrate better how a CA is markedly changed when expressed through choice of different weapon, or CA mod, the link to the new video/pic archive page would work.

gogo

Seraphim and SW videos done. Other 4 classes (won't be able to do Dragon Mage, on PS3) to come tomorrow.

Thanks Gogo. See my reply PM.

I'll change the pages to the format found on the Scything Sweep page soon.

Forgot that there's 5 combat arts per aspect, 3 aspects per character, and 7 characters. 5x3x7 = 105 combat art pages :) Probably gonna take me a little while to finish this, but I knocked out 5 CA pages tonight :D

Seraphim and SW pages updated to a new format, with the video in the top right corner of the page.

It does not load automatically (just the thumbnail image), so you have to click on it to load the video itself. That should avoid the bandwidth and loading speed issues.

I've also added a Gallery to all of those pages (if it didn't have one already), where pictures and videos can be added. This is at the bottom of the page, so that it doesn't interfere with the information provided on the page.

Other 4 classes to receive the same treatment within the next 24 hours.

Ryan: Nice updates to the Dryad section! The pages don't feel so empty anymore now.

Looking forward to your upcoming additions!

Edited by Mystix123

Thanks Gogo. See my reply PM.

I'll change the pages to the format found on the Scything Sweep page soon.

Thanks Mystix! Uploading the videos to the Wiki Youtube will keep the videos organized for SacredWiki, this really helps! :bounce:

Forgot that there's 5 combat arts per aspect, 3 aspects per character, and 7 characters. 5x3x7 = 105 combat art pages :) Probably gonna take me a little while to finish this, but I knocked out 5 CA pages tonight :D

Ryan, the new writeups are looking great! You know, just a few days ago, I was studying some of the writeups in there... quite a few of them were filled with slang, and casual speaking. With your redux, we're getting some clear language that will be helpful, impartial and useful to readers. Ryan, I know you're great with Videos too...what do you guys think if I made a post/topic asking if anyone else wants to make videos for Sacred 2... could this be interesting?

The Bosses could do well with mini-videos, as well as the the enemies, in fact, anything that can be referenced?

And for the Gallery, for the CA pages, Mystix, Knuckles used some excellent formatting for his Temple Guardian Arm pages, he was able to get three abreast...think this could work?

Temple Guardian Combat Art Guns

It would not be difficult to even squeeze in four across as well.

gogo

Yep, I've been using Knuckles' formatting for the Gallery. I took it from the old Picture Gallery sections he set up for the SW, simply moving that in some cases (as opposed to having to insert it).

With the 160px size, it looks like 5 across might be possible. I know 4 is possible for sure (http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Nether_Allegiance) and it looks like there might be room for a 5th.

SacredWiki YouTube is about to get 30 videos uploaded to it, so it might be better if no one else logs into that account in the meanwhile.

Much thanks.

CA video links for the Seraphim and SW updated to the SacredWiki YouTube account.

I'll start the other videos tonight.

While those were uploading, I created a video for the quest "The Kobold Chieftain". It's a speed run of the quest to give a quick overview, with some embedded text to give some specific directions.

It's currently uploading to the SacredWiki YouTube account, but it's almost 1 GB, so it needs about 3 hours more before it's uploaded. I'll add it to the quest page after.

Hey Mystix, I was curious as to what recording device you use to get those videos? They seem to be very good quality and I might be interested in purchasing the hardware/software for myself :)

I'm using the Roxio Game Capture for recording and editing. Honestly, it's not that great quality compared to other recording devices that I've used before, but it's around 1/3 the price.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/promotions/landing/machinima/game-capture/console/overview.html?source=roxmachinima

It's 30% off ($70) via that link right now, with free shipping. It also lets you play your PS3/360 on your computer (laptop in my case), in HD, via the recording program. Comes in handy when I'm at home, as my parents don't have an HDTV.

The better choice (which I'll look into getting sometime after I move in August) would be an HD PVR:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116030

It'll run you about $180 for one though.

Both take 1080i input (need to use Component cables instead of an HDMI, as the HDMI is encrypted, so it can't be captured, thus lower quality in one aspect), but the Roxio Game Capture can't record in HD (though you can continue to play the game in HD on your TV while recording) while the HD PVR can record in HD.

The "Gahanka Getting Ganked" video (also known as the video walkthrough for the Kobold Chieftain quest) has been uploaded and posted onto the quest page for the Wiki.

More Combat Arts coming up (High Elf), just editing the videos now.

No problem Ryan.

The Game Capture actually created something really interesting a few hours ago. I was playing Marvel vs. Capcom 2 with a friend and noticed that it will delay the signal to the TV, even when not recording. It also created a fancy glitch where my friend's Ryu ended up all blue, but only on my screen. I stopped him, fired up the Game Capture program and took a screenshot.

Update: I only got some of the HE videos up. It's almost 3 AM and my parents will be visiting in 7 hours, so I'm opting for sleep.

Rest of the videos and the Gallery for all HE CAs to come tomorrow evening!

Edited by Mystix123

Will you be putting up pictures/videos for any Combat Arts where these a new effect due to a mod choice? Taking scything sweep as an example, taking the rage mod creates a blue ball of energy on the end of the weapon after casting.

Will you be putting up pictures/videos for any Combat Arts where these a new effect due to a mod choice? Taking scything sweep as an example, taking the rage mod creates a blue ball of energy on the end of the weapon after casting.

Yes, immediately after I finish getting the base CA up as the representative video for the page.

The modified versions will end up in the Gallery section, as there may be quite a few of them for certain CAs.

Mystix, Ryan, you guys have teamed up so well on this! Mystix, I still can't get over how fast you're putting up the videos, they are awesome, thanks! And completing a "How to Boss" Video is brilliant. I know peeps love getting guides for quests, having a video done has just added a huge level of possible detail to the Wiki.

It's a huge project, excited to know where this goes, if you have time for it.

And videos for the comlplete expressions of Combat Arts is really gonna nail it for Combat ARt Wiki pages...I don't wanna count how many videos there are!

:oooo:

gogo

Mystix, Ryan, you guys have teamed up so well on this! Mystix, I still can't get over how fast you're putting up the videos, they are awesome, thanks! And completing a "How to Boss" Video is brilliant. I know peeps love getting guides for quests, having a video done has just added a huge level of possible detail to the Wiki.

It's a huge project, excited to know where this goes, if you have time for it.

And videos for the comlplete expressions of Combat Arts is really gonna nail it for Combat ARt Wiki pages...I don't wanna count how many videos there are!

:oooo:

gogo

Much thanks Gogo.

I'm able to get them up so quickly because I have time off right now, so I'm able to work quite a few hours a day on these.

Once I finish the base CAs, I'll put the Gallery section in for all of the CAs, then start creating the videos for the modified CAs.

I'll sporadically record more quest walkthroughs and post those.

If anyone has any ideas on other things which could use videos, let me know.

As for the update part: TG videos are done. Going to record the Inquisitor ones during Hell's Kitchen, so they should be up by the end of the night.