Favo(u)rite quotes of the year (so far)

We are well into 2011 now; and a lot has been posted in the kitchen here - most of which I have missed.

So I am asking you all to post here your favo(u)rite quotes so far.

To start the ball rolling, mine is from Wolfie in the kitchen here:

"As far as the Big Mac goes... I'm thinking calling it a sludge and salad butty would be an insult to the sludge."

Edited by Bondbug

... and some fell on stony ground. I can't believe that nothing worth repeating has been posted in the dark kitchen this year. :unsure:

Edited by Bondbug

... and some fell on stony ground. I can't believe that nothing worth repeating has been posted in the dark kitchen this year. :unsure:

Maybe the food has been repeating instead of the words ! :whistle:

my favourite dark kitchen quotes are from the frozen happiness topic, post no4 by gogo

"I'll always make time in my day for some parfaits, granitas and anything sweet...but my favorite will always come down to the ice cream...

...I think the day has dawned for a chilli chocolate ice cream!"

The Chilli chocolate Ice cream came out delicious, with a wonderful smooth texture and great scoopability.

Delta!

k, lol...this is gonna sound like a corny quote, BUT...it's probably the first quote I'd ever heard an memorized... and it comes packaged with another ^^

Back in Grade two or three, they used to give us books every couple of weeks, (or did we have to buy them, I don't remember :blink:) And so, one of the stories I had remember reading was where this brother and sister were dreading the arrival of their aunt. This Aunt was a know it all. For every situation, every challenge, she'd always whip out a little black book of hers that would have an answer to 'trump" everyone.

The siblings came upon the idea of "borrowing" their aunt's book for a wee time... only to copy out all the golden info within... and so in this way, if the aunt ever came up with a quote like:

"Too many cooks spoil the broth!"

Our youngsters, with the help of their aunt's secret book could have rebuttal-ed her quote with another!

"Many hands make light work!:

lol, dunno why these two quotes have stuck with me, I guess I got a kick out of people doing "quote battles" against each other ^^

We now return you to your regular quotes!

:D

gogo

Food related quotes I will always remember:

A german visiting UK with his highschool class. At lunch time visiting a restaurant and ordering a steak. Waiting, more waiting, much more waiting --- classmates already finished lunch and are ready to leave. But one poor person still waiting for a steak. So next time the servicing boy appeared, asking with a bit of anger in the voice:

"When do I become a steak?" and the answer of the servicing boy without an emotion in the face: "I hope never!"

I will not say who the family member was who did trying ordering a steak, but I learned from it never think that a german word would have the same meaning in english:

bekommen is german for 'to get', but of cause the english become which is spoken same has a bit of a different meaning ;)

---

Colibri salade (Hummingbird salade)

We are used to cut lard into dices and release the fat for roasting potatoes. The remaining lard pieces (Grieben) are really cross and tasty. But they are fat and so normaly we don't allow ou kids to eat them like chips. But we add them to field salades so there are small spicy taste bombs in the healthy green salade.

But I was out of lard one day and decided to improvise and used potato-sticks instead.

Speckgrieben (lard-dices roasted till most fat is out and filtered away)

image034.jpg

Potato-Sticks from super-market

kartoffel2.jpg

When serving the salade to the kids I said that this is a Kompromisssalat (compromise salade) - healthy salade with a bit of unhealthy taste bombs. 3 weeks later my mon was babysitting our kids and she phoned me at work what a Kolibri-Salat would be which the close to 3 year old mixed-twins were demanding. I didn't know it and then she said something with potato-sticks....

The twins didn't know the word compromise but were knowing the word colibri which was close in their young ears. So if anyone will ever try to serve you a hummingbird salade--- maybe it are just potato-sticks added.

Reminds me of the time my wife gave a recipe to one of her English class here in France.

The recipe specified "lard" for the pastry, which has a completely different name in France. The French lady used "lardons" as being the nearest she could find to "lard".

Unfortunately "lardons" are small pieces of bacon, almost identical to Chattius' "Speckgrieben" in the photo above. The results were catastrophic.

Edited by Bondbug

Reminds me of the time my wife gave a recipe to one of her English class here in France.

The recipe specified "lard" for the pastry, which has a completely different name in France. The French lady used "lardons" as being the nearest she could find to "lard".

Unfortunately "lardons" are small pieces of bacon, almost identical to Chattius' "Speckgrieben" in the photo above. The results were catastrophic.

I can well imagine. I made a pasta meal the other day with lardons...........not good. I found the lardons very chewy indeed, unless of course it was just my cooking ?!

Tough Steve - must have been the good old British equivalent. Use them all the time here, on pizzas, in quiches, even fried with an egg in place of bacon which we cannot get here, whatever - never tough, and certainly never as an ingredient of pastry for patisserie.

Edited by Bondbug
  • 2 weeks later...

"And I find chopsticks frankly distressing. Am I alone in thinking it odd that a people ingenious enough to invent paper, gunpowder, kites and any number of other useful objects, and who have a noble history extending back 3,000 years haven’t yet worked out that a pair of knitting needles is no way to capture food?"

Lol