I had my annual retinal check this morning, and the nurse told me that I have started to develope cataracts !

I was very shocked. I said that I am only 43 and that only old folk got cataracts ! She laughed and said that anyone can get cataracts, and that as a diabetic I have a higher chance than most................which had not been mentioned previously. I was a little annoyed about that, tbh. They have given me literature, in the past, on my diabetes which had discussed that we can suffer eye problems and even blindness, but never have I heard about diabetes in conection with cataracts *sigh*

I will now have to wait for the confirmation of the results from the hospital and then start seeing ( no pun intended) the optician. My eye sight has always been good, so this is a double blow.

Oh well, there's worse out there, so no point in sulking !

Steve.

Steve, I'm sorry to hear about this. Hearing this news about your eyes, especially something that had always had as good is saddening. I remember when I was first told by doctor about high blood sugar, that my eyes, toes, fingers, all were vulnerable. It sucks that you weren't told about this, I hope you get some good news, and if you've got good eyes to start with, then you're in the lead. For myself, I've always had bad eyes, with glasses a part of me forever. Lately though, in just this last year and a bit, I've noticed a real number of vision changes, and yesterday while in work/class, I was having problems reading the board... I kinda knew that this meant I have to get to a doctor fast, and was going to just overlook it till I read your post now, and am going to book appointment.

I hope your results are not discouraging!

:)

gogo

If you read my first posts in sacred forums, I was told to play computer games to train my eye after a surgery. My first characters were melee elves. I had to zoom in a lot and so I played close and personal. I liked the look of my polearm elf and it was a character every said as not possible to play, but I liked the challenge. So without eye surgery probably no chattius in this forum.

I had big luck at my eye surgery. My eye was damaged at army and it took 16 years fearing I would loose eye sigh because of a sudden retina rupture at a bad movement. So first 2 years I stopped playing soccer, no jumps into water,....

Then I went kinda back to a near normal living. The retina finally ruptured at a sneezing because of pepper in the kitchen. All red and brown, bleedings into the eyeball,... So eye was taken out of the head, emptied of liquid, sewed together again and put back in. Then the eyeball regenerated its liquid in a few day days. Was a bit confusing, the liquid was first only at the bottom of the ball. So with the camera effect, the picture in lower half of the retina is the sky, and all on ground was not seen because there was no liquid yet up in the eyeball.

I had a lot of warnings that the lens could darken at surgery, and an artificial lens was already at place. Didn't happen, uff. Then it could darken in the following 2-3 years, not happened yet, toi toi toi.

This artificial lens would have been more or less the same surgery than at a cataract. Artificial lenses are way softer now. My wife studied at Marburg, which has a very good faculty for eye surgeries and she knoes some of the professors. So I learned that at my age, same as yours, the main pain after an artificial lens surgery seems to be that the new lens no longer can focus. The new lens is fixed with 2 'hooks' but it would need a flexible lens and a ring-like fixing to allow the eye focusing muscle to do its focusing work. But we live in a fast time and I hope the new lenses are ready one I will need them.

Do you have cataracts on both eyes?

Oops, can't remember who to multi-quote ! :Just_Cuz_21:

@ Gogo :- Thanks for the kind words. You are right to go to the doctor as these things don't just dissapear, I'm afraid. Sorry that you too have eye problems and hope that this latest thing ain't too serious mate.

@ Podgie Bear :- Thanks mate. I'm sorry for your wife's news. Came as a huge shock when first diagnosed with diabetes as there is no familly history................only my all too big wasteline ! :blush: I'll keep my fingers crossed for her eyesight, as not everyone suffers.

@ DB :- Cheers for the thoughts. You have to wait for the cataracts to fully develope before surgery, and that can take from 6 months to 10 years ! Only time will tell.

@ Chattius :- Wow, that sounds like you've had a terrible time with your eye. Sorry to hear that bud. Yes, the cataracts are in both eyes, although the right one is more pronounced, apparantly.

Cheers,

Steve.