Too many pennies!

I'm doing a lot of sorting in my room, books, records, clothes, furniture and what's turned up is a HUGE bottle of pennies! Dusty, old, mixed silver, I considered rolling them, but... there's a few POUNDS of metal here.

Did some searching, don't know if you guys have this, but at grocery stores near us here, Metro, they have a coinstar sorting machine.

email_popup_kiosk_en-US.png

Exciting to see in action, and must be even more so to use...but holy hannah, 12.9 cents A DOLLAR to sort?

Pirates!

viking.gif

gogo

Hmm...at some of our banks they have coin sorting machines which take your money and give you a receipt with which you can deposit into an account, no good if you only want it to count your money.

Perhaps just wait for a quiet day where you can count it yourself and save yourself that 13% of your money. Plus, you might find something rare in there!

Don't forget coin rollers cost money. If all you got is pennies, 12.9% is a good deal, Gogo, after you consider your time involved in counting and rolling them (which the machine does, I assume). IMO, as an employee in an accounting department ;).

Of course, you can take them to the bank, mine gives rollers for free, but the "flat" kind that are a PITA to use, not like the plastic or "pre-rolled" ones you buy in the dollar store.

It's a lot of wishes in the wishing well :D

You can give to charity, but some won't take pennies, even rolled. :blink:

But, as DB said, if you know much about coins, go thru them! Not hard to find a coin worth over $5 these days.

holzschubkarre.jpg

You could marry. In germany it is an old tradition to buy bride shoes with the exchange Pfenning(now cent) collected in years. My olders sister paid 230 german marks, 23000 pfenning, 23 kilogramm of pfennings, collected in bottles. We put my sister and the money on a wooden pushcart and drove her through whole town in search for shoes. So everyone was knowing she s marrying. She has very big feet and they were finally custommade.

http://www.numismatikforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39189&start=15

Hmm, pennies,... Wonder if it is like our old german Pfenning, each had a weight of 1gramm. We have a money box at our youth club and people use to put exchange money in. So quite the same problem. But our baker or butcher put them on a scale and do a quick look if all are Pfenning/cent and accepted them usually. Baker and butcher use trucks to drive from village to village and sell their stuff. So no credit cards and they are always in need of exchange money.

Here tuesday and thursday the baker truck is at village and monday and friday the one of the butcher.

Hmm...at some of our banks they have coin sorting machines which take your money and give you a receipt with which you can deposit into an account, no good if you only want it to count your money.

Perhaps just wait for a quiet day where you can count it yourself and save yourself that 13% of your money. Plus, you might find something rare in there!

I'm gonna go through the coins, I forgot that some coins are worth a lot!

Don't forget coin rollers cost money. If all you got is pennies, 12.9% is a good deal, Gogo, after you consider your time involved in counting and rolling them (which the machine does, I assume). IMO, as an employee in an accounting department ;).

Of course, you can take them to the bank, mine gives rollers for free, but the "flat" kind that are a PITA to use, not like the plastic or "pre-rolled" ones you buy in the dollar store.

It's a lot of wishes in the wishing well :D

You can give to charity, but some won't take pennies, even rolled. :blink:

But, as DB said, if you know much about coins, go thru them! Not hard to find a coin worth over $5 these days.

I don't know that much about them :cry: but I'll see if anything just "sticks" out? They're so dusty though, I'm sneezing like mad, and I'm beginning to look like a muppet

holzschubkarre.jpg

You could marry. In germany it is an old tradition to buy bride shoes with the exchange Pfenning(now cent) collected in years. My olders sister paid 230 german marks, 23000 pfenning, 23 kilogramm of pfennings, collected in bottles. We put my sister and the money on a wooden pushcart and drove her through whole town in search for shoes. So everyone was knowing she s marrying. She has very big feet and they were finally custommade.

http://www.numismati...=39189&start=15

Hmm, pennies,... Wonder if it is like our old german Pfenning, each had a weight of 1gramm. We have a money box at our youth club and people use to put exchange money in. So quite the same problem. But our baker or butcher put them on a scale and do a quick look if all are Pfenning/cent and accepted them usually. Baker and butcher use trucks to drive from village to village and sell their stuff. So no credit cards and they are always in need of exchange money.

Here tuesday and thursday the baker truck is at village and monday and friday the one of the butcher.

I'm gonna see how many pennies there are, a few POUNDS at least, thought I think stuff like an Ipad or game download sounds a little cooler than bridge's shoes! :lol:

And... good news guys, gogoblenderresearch.com to the rescue...guess what I found, and just a few blocks up the street from me!

Coin Counters

BMO Bank of Montreal Coin Counters are a fast, convenient and free way to count and deposit loose change right into your BMO account or trade it in for cash.

Features:

• Free – This service is completely free to both BMO and non-BMO customers
  • Fast – Our Coin Counter is one of the fastest machines available
  • Accepts USD coins – No need to sort out U.S currency, just include them with your Canadian coins and they'll be accepted at par.

Find the nearest BMO Bank of Montreal Coin Counter

20110404-405bmo512.jpg

Free and close, I'm excited to see what the mass is worth!

:bounce:

gogo

Are Canadian coins like US coins, where you can tell the silver ones by the color of the edge? On US dimes and higher, nonsilver ones have a copperish streak on the edge. This makes it easy to scan a stack of coins by their edges for the silver ones. But I have no idea about Canadian coins. (A quick Google shows Canada stopped using silver after 1968. http://www.silvercoinstoday.com/silver-coin-price-guides/canadian-silver-coin-values/ )

I've found more silver coins in circulation in recent years than seems normal... my theory is older people saved the coins and failed to explain the value so younger people who don't know about silver coins simply spent them after finding them in a parent or grandparent's house.

I saw on the TV show recently that people who are scared about an economic apocalypse are buying old silver coins by the bag full. They think the silver content will make them valuable in an apocalypse for buying and selling food, etc.

I donate all my small coins to my lodge since their bank has a free-to-customers coin counter (and my bank doesn't).

They could be good art supplies perhaps? Buy a coolish looking large candle holder. Put a candle in the space and make a penny flow cascading from around the candle by superglue and perhaps a wire frame underneath. Clean the pennies so they shine if possible.

Are Canadian coins like US coins, where you can tell the silver ones by the color of the edge? On US dimes and higher, nonsilver ones have a copperish streak on the edge. This makes it easy to scan a stack of coins by their edges for the silver ones. But I have no idea about Canadian coins. (A quick Google shows Canada stopped using silver after 1968. http://www.silvercoi...er-coin-values/ )

I've found more silver coins in circulation in recent years than seems normal... my theory is older people saved the coins and failed to explain the value so younger people who don't know about silver coins simply spent them after finding them in a parent or grandparent's house.

I saw on the TV show recently that people who are scared about an economic apocalypse are buying old silver coins by the bag full. They think the silver content will make them valuable in an apocalypse for buying and selling food, etc.

I donate all my small coins to my lodge since their bank has a free-to-customers coin counter (and my bank doesn't).

That would be interesting, if I could just find a single coin that would be worth a lot...but I look at that whole sorry lot of pennies, they're so dusty, and my sneezing lately has become horrible, I don't know if I have the tenacity or patience to handle each coin one by one Just_Cuz_21.gif

They could be good art supplies perhaps? Buy a coolish looking large candle holder. Put a candle in the space and make a penny flow cascading from around the candle by superglue and perhaps a wire frame underneath. Clean the pennies so they shine if possible.

I can see this image in my head! I'm not so artistic though, I'd probably create something that would be reported and carted off :lol:

And... my story about my poundage? Well, I found ANOTHER two more troves of penny treasure! All together I combined them, and the mass turned out to be 37 pounds (actually a bit more!). I found a kind of nylon shopping bag, then placed that in my o'er shoulder school bag, and tried to walk, felt so strange, pressure on my knees, and back...felt like I'd aged a hundred years and slowly hobbled over to the bus stop. Since I have a bus pass, I got on it and took it up the street where my target, the Bank of Montreal was, but alas.... no machine!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

:oooo:

The lady at counter said there were only a few in Montreal, and that this branch didn't have one. The price of paying that ridiculous pirate exchange rate at the grocery store began to sound better all the time, specially as I now had to cart all the penny poundage back to my apartment while looking strange and weird with all this weight, then run off to work.

curses

foiled

I will find a way!

:viking:

gogo

A cool way to tell silver US quarters from the newer ones is by sound. Drop a silver quarter on a table and it has a clean ringing sound. A newer one has a more dull sound.

A cool way to tell silver US quarters from the newer ones is by sound. Drop a silver quarter on a table and it has a clean ringing sound. A newer one has a more dull sound.

Don't got any american silver, but wanna get some just to try this out. I think I'm gonna be down in the states this summer to visit family though, will try out the plunk test.

Sure your sneezing is from dust and not from a nickel allergy?

I think its' all the dust that's been flying around in my room because of all the moving around of books and bagging of old clothes. it takes so long for my lungs to clear out after all this

;blink:

gogo

Well, last night I finally caved in and carted down the almost forty pounds of change to the grocery store. Dragged Schot along for whine support :P and started dumping in all the pennie into that machine. I was expecting more kachings and lights, and was surprised when the machine had to stop every once in a while to play "catch up" with all me change I kept on putting in.

The take?

186.01 total coins counted

21.72 amount THEY took as charge (GASP)

164.29 leftover! (for me! :bounce:)

Well, walking away with more than 160 bux is kinda cool from having nothing but years worth of bowls, but still, more than 20 bux for a commission...

owch

:blink:

gogo

Well, last night I finally caved in and carted down the almost forty pounds of change to the grocery store. Dragged Schot along for whine support :P and started dumping in all the pennie into that machine. I was expecting more kachings and lights, and was surprised when the machine had to stop every once in a while to play "catch up" with all me change I kept on putting in.

The take?

Well, walking away with more than 160 bux is kinda cool from having nothing but years worth of bowls, but still, more than 20 bux for a commission...

owch

gogo

Meh, that's not too bad, Gogo. Depends on what value you place on your time and fustration. Or interest in finding old/valuable coin. If you're not exageratting, 40 pounds of loose change would take the better part of a day to roll up, working pretty much nonstop. $20 for a day's worth of "work"? Sold, IMO. Unless, ofcourse, you pull a $100 coin from there (which only will go up in value if you keep it).

The take?

owch

gogo

Meh, that's not too bad, Gogo. Depends on what value you place on your time and fustration. Or interest in finding old/valuable coin. If you're not exageratting, 40 pounds of loose change would take the better part of a day to roll up, working pretty much nonstop. $20 for a day's worth of "work"? Sold, IMO. Unless, ofcourse, you pull a $100 coin from there (which only will go up in value if you keep it).

You're right. It was pretty frustrating having to think about where to cart off the pennies too, and lol, the take was about 38.75 lbs, hugely heavy... didn't think about it that way..yer right, 20.00 for a days worth of work, bargain!

The only question now is "what are you going to spend the cash on" ?

After what Chattius said, is 160 in cash enough to buy a bride in Canada ? :lol:

Maybe not enough for a bride...but enough for a new coffee maker!

wh wh wh wheeeeeeeeeee

:dance:

gogo