Adding new "Suggested Reading" section for SacredWiki

this is kind of a contentious direction for us for a few years. wiki's are supposed to about only tested data, "facts" so to say. Course, Sacred is a strange franchise. We have a company (love you Ascaron!) that refused to publish it's formulaes, and wants us all to guess, be tortured, test out, and suffer. It's created a hugely obsessive very loyal fan base (that's all of you folks!) that have combined efforts in creating one of the world's largest independant game wiki's.

Ayup, it's that big^^

We are wanting ideas/feedback on the following addition...what do you think about us adding let's say five links to the bottom of Combat Arts and other Articles pages on the wiki that connect to well-chosen DarkMatters topics?

We're trying to say... these links are not part of the wiki...but for a continuation or amelioration of the sacred 2 player experience which contains very long and interesting discussions, maybe a direction like this could have a place on the wiki?

We are hoping that having links like this to the forum site here where a lot of the discussions for the "laws" of the game can help players get a deeper understanding of what sacred franchise is all about, and... and this is kind of important...if they are shown the tree/discussion of how/what/where the ideas for the data are coming from, perhaps they would be interested/inspired to add to the database themselves.

If feed back on this is good, me, or anyone else can add, let's say a max of five links to the bottom or articles in the wiki that would link to ONLY DarkMatters exterior links that show relevant and meaningful discussion regarding, perhaps, game mechanics, which has always been hot debate.

We had thought of perhaps allowing external links to other sites, but our experience over the last few years is that this has always turned out to be more trouble in the long run, as we cannot guarantee link life on other sites, and in fact many guides published that include links to, for example, Sacred International Forum are now dead becuaseof administrive changes.

So, five links per page to discussions on DarkMatters...yay or nay?

:)

gogo

Looks like a solid idea for me at least. Of course the wiki has heaploads of info, but I guess refering to some threads should add content quite nicely.

And some searching from the boards might be tad tedious at some points. Guess it would be kinda "softer landing" for new peeps. ^^ My humble oppinion.:blush:

I like both the idea and the goal (letting others see where the ideas came from, which hopefully leads to more contributions).

For clarification, in regards to your example of the Combat Arts pages: Would this be 5 links pertaining to that character/CA on each of the 15 Combat Art pages (e.g. 5 links relevant to the Seraphim on the Seraphim CA pages), or would it be 5 general links that are posted on all CA pages (regardless of character)?

Me and gogo talked about this for a little bit the other day. My mantra is "there is no such thing as too much info", in regards to the wiki anyways :) Especially where a skill or attribute or formula isn't 100% known for a fact. Balancing what we think we know and posted on the wiki, with thread(s) discussing it, would be a welcome addition. Even with stuff we believe to know, practical use in game may not give expected results. If nothing else we're a forum and this stuff is meant to be discussed and dissected. Adding the links would simply continue to promote this.

@ Mystix...It was my understanding that it would be per page per CA/Attribute. Thus you could see up to 5 links on every seraphim (or other character) Combat Art. Same with Attributes.

Sounds good, but I don't know if you can find that much discussion for every CA, some of the more useless ones will probably end up with 5 threads staing its uselessness...

But in other cases it would definitely help with reasoning behind mod choices, useage and so. perhaps you could even do a featured build for some guides that invest in that CA heavily or in an interesting way?

In my humble opinion, I suggest, wiki members make the final call.

Afterall, they are in fact, the people creating the wiki as we see it today.

Only my humble opinion!

I remain, :bob:

Sounds like an awesome idea to me. But each page doesn't have to have 5 links, it it just a maximum of 5 right?

Delta!

I'm so pleased that there's so many responses on this topic, thank you. Wonderful feed back, pumped to get this going! Going over all the topics here in review, yes, five links max per article, and the links should be re-named so that they are "catchy" and interesting to a reader starting on the wiki page and that we'd like to see continue to a page on DarkMatters.

Anyone can place these links, it's going to be a fun project, mostly:

Using Google search on Wiki to find links on darkmatters (wiki search on sacredwiki pulls up links on both databases^^) and then going through what it brings up, renaming links and adding them in their own section at bottom of page. It's a relaxed project, I'm sorry I got pulled away from here so long (dam you diablo 3 open beat! *waves fist*).

I'll get going on some pages during this week, before I do, anyone have a suggestion or idea for a template we can use, or just the usual "Suggested Reading" title at the bottom like we do with notes is enough...or is there a box template with shading anywhere we can pull out quickly for this?

If not, it's gonna be just links with a title, good enough!

:)

gogo