I normally don't use them, but that is mainly caused by the legs front bycyle I use. Now with e-bikes the question about wearing a helmet pops up again. While our third use old hockey helmets (aged 12) our oldest has some style and fashion stuff involved.

http://www.helt-pro.com/en/home.html

_diana_rose01_helt-pro.jpg

I don't ride bikes anymore, but I don't normally wear a helmet. Although I think I probably would if I was riding long distances and not riding on some back country road. Depends on the level of danger involved, I suppose.

I think it's probably a good idea to wear one though, especially for kids.

It's funny you should bring this up, since just the other day I saw some fatherly type guy riding a bike with his daughter, I presume (about 8-10 years old) who was inbetween him and the handle bars. Father had a helmet, daughter did not. Definitely something wrong with that picture. :dntknw:

In primary school I used to wear a helmet when cycling to and from school, but in high school people laughed at you... :tomato: . so I stopped wearing it... :unsure:

Delta!

Helmets are a two-edged sword at young kids. Obviously they protect from an impact on head. On the other hand the helmets have a weight which is multiplied with the g-forces. This weight may be too much for the still weak neck muscles. I drive a diesel bike with a sidecar and twins in sidecar should wear integral helmets by law. But after a long discussion with police and technical control my bike papers now say that savety belt and a steel pipe above heads is enough.

The foam plastic helmets save from a single impact. If you smash your helmet hard on a desk the protection might have vanished. So we prefer hockey helmets once they are 8. Helmet of oldest is hockey style with the possibility to add a flower hat, baseballcap or whatever on top.

Helmets are a two-edged sword at young kids. Obviously they protect from an impact on head. On the other hand the helmets have a weight which is multiplied with the g-forces. This weight may be too much for the still weak neck muscles. I drive a diesel bike with a sidecar and twins in sidecar should wear integral helmets by law. But after a long discussion with police and technical control my bike papers now say that savety belt and a steel pipe above heads is enough.

The foam plastic helmets save from a single impact. If you smash your helmet hard on a desk the protection might have vanished. So we prefer hockey helmets once they are 8. Helmet of oldest is hockey style with the possibility to add a flower hat, baseballcap or whatever on top.

Next time I decide to go bike riding, I think I'm going to show my support for Sacred 2 and wear the helmet found in this link:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Armantin%27s_Legacy

I have read many reports over the years where some-one has lived through a motor vehicle vs bicycle accident purely by wearing a helmet. One girl, who fell off her bike under a car, was actually run over the head by the car. She survived with just bruises because of the helmet. Let me repeat, the wheel of the car went over her head and she survived. She would not be alive if she didn't wear a helmet. The helmet was not so lucky !

For me, there is no excuse not to wear a helmet, even if you are off road biking.

Wear your helmet and live to cycle another day. ;)

My own experience as a firefighter is that some of the head injuries of car drivers could have been prevented with a helmet. There are also studies from more hilly and bumpy places (not flat netherlands which is europeans bicycle nation) that hitting a hole in a road when going downhill gives g-forces because of the helm weight which disorientate for a moment, sometimes enough for an accident. So you should start using helmets early, but not too early. If you are older you shoukd do some hundred miles cross county running with. Helmet to get used to it.

Bring legs front, lower centre of gravity, head more up to see danger more in advance, three wheels, less falling,...

2716.png

I don't use my helmet. I feel that the inconvenience it brins is outweighing the protection it offers. I'd even say it makes it less comfortable to turn my head, which I constantly do to keep an eye on the surroundings.

The chances of it actually saving you are exaggerated in my opinion. I'm slipping many times a day on perma-wet floors at work, should I wear ahelmet there as well? (no, I actually need new shoes for that but anyway)

That is a personal choice though, which everyone should be making for himself after educating himself on dangers of traffic and such (though kids should wear them if their parents tell them to :whip: )