This is one of those dad moments that I had to share. I've posted so much about my health probs I figured it was about time I posted something on the sunnier side of my life.

My daughter has been in band since 4th grade (now heading to 8th grade). And even though she is still in middle school (or junior high to some) she was invited to play with the high school marching band. As far as I know she is the only one that was invited. Prior to this she had been in the middle school's jazz band and concert band. She'll still be in those next year too....so she is going to be one busy little lady.

She plays the drums :) It was the one instrument I never envisioned her playing. Guess she didn't either but somehow she tried it out and she's pretty darn good. Now my daughter is very quiet and shy so this was pretty cool getting up on stage in front of a packed auditorium. Last concert of the year she even had a drum solo :D

Well today being the 4th, Independence Day, she was in 2 parades. Now she has never marched before and only had 2 practices. And to top it off she had a short intro solo to get the song started. And she nailed it :D :D

I know this isn't anything special and she's not a world-class player (yet) but I actually got all choked up watching her play. The crowd was really enthusiastic and gave them a great round of applause.

Like I said my daughter is pretty shy and she was soooooo self-conscious about being the only girl drummer in the middle school band. Well the high school band's drummer section is all girls...I can't ever remember seeing a HS band with an all-girl drummer corp. I could really see the attitude and self-confidence oozing out of her today.

It was just one of those simple little things that brought my hectic life to a screeching halt and allowed me to really enjoy the whole experience. And it wasn't because she'd played well or anything it was because I could see her self-confidence just bubbling out. I thought she would break the drums at one point. She played with such passion. I'd post the pics/video but I have been threatened with getting doused with a bucket of water while sleeping if I ever do so....maybe at some point I can do it. maybe for one of the football games.

and in my moment of weakness I think I agreed to buy her a drum set :Just_Cuz_21:

Edit: My kiddo informed that there is a boy in the drum section...but couldn't make today's parades...still it's 9 girls to one guy :)

What a great little story you shared with us! Congrats for your daugther, it's very important that you and your family have some good moments like this one.

Max

This is one of those dad moments that I had to share. I've posted so much about my health probs I figured it was about time I posted something on the sunnier side of my life.

My daughter has been in band since 4th grade (now heading to 8th grade). And even though she is still in middle school (or junior high to some) she was invited to play with the high school marching band. As far as I know she is the only one that was invited. Prior to this she had been in the middle school's jazz band and concert band. She'll still be in those next year too....so she is going to be one busy little lady.

She plays the drums :) It was the one instrument I never envisioned her playing. Guess she didn't either but somehow she tried it out and she's pretty darn good. Now my daughter is very quiet and shy so this was pretty cool getting up on stage in front of a packed auditorium. Last concert of the year she even had a drum solo :D

Well today being the 4th, Independence Day, she was in 2 parades. Now she has never marched before and only had 2 practices. And to top it off she had a short intro solo to get the song started. And she nailed it :D :D

I know this isn't anything special and she's not a world-class player (yet) but I actually got all choked up watching her play. The crowd was really enthusiastic and gave them a great round of applause.

Like I said my daughter is pretty shy and she was soooooo self-conscious about being the only girl drummer in the middle school band. Well the high school band's drummer section is all girls...I can't ever remember seeing a HS band with an all-girl drummer corp. I could really see the attitude and self-confidence oozing out of her today.

It was just one of those simple little things that brought my hectic life to a screeching halt and allowed me to really enjoy the whole experience. And it wasn't because she'd played well or anything it was because I could see her self-confidence just bubbling out. I thought she would break the drums at one point. She played with such passion. I'd post the pics/video but I have been threatened with getting doused with a bucket of water while sleeping if I ever do so....maybe at some point I can do it. maybe for one of the football games.

and in my moment of weakness I think I agreed to buy her a drum set :Just_Cuz_21:

Edit: My kiddo informed that there is a boy in the drum section...but couldn't make today's parades...still it's 9 girls to one guy :)

I read ths at work Robb, but was unable to log into post, but I loved everything you shared here, it was a very touching moment. I remember my mom once telling me that when she saw me do a solo at choir, she said that her feeling of pride within her was so huge it felt to bursting, and I kept thinking about her words and how fierce parents pride is.

Reading your post gave me an amazing burst of happiness for you, how fortunate you are for a great child in your life!

:)

gogo

I can imagine why you posted Knuckles. It sounds like you had a true blue Father's pride moment. It must have been quite a distinct moment for you at that. I wish I could know that feeling and it's so nice to read about how you feel about your daughters growing success in life. As you say, it may only be school bands and such but I imagine it's like a child's/parents firsts. First step, first word and maybe now a first that will have a distinct affect about the mature adult she will become.

Much success to your daughter and... Bang on!

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd give a quick update. The marching band has been to 4 competitions and came in first every time :) So on Saturday they had the New England finals. And they won again. Undefeated and region champs in her first year. Not too bad of a first year eh? :D And now coming up this Saturday the band is headed to Washington D.C. to compete down there. If they win it'll be soooooooo awesome. Sucks that I can't make it to this one :(

Amazing accomplishment, she must be beaming!

I know marching bands competitive are a big thing in states? I've seen some of what they can do movement/music wise and it's incredible.

:)

gogo

Our second started playing xyllophon. When being good in it she started to play the Glockenspiel (bell lyre) in the marching band. When out growing all boys and girls (190centrimetres, being 13) she was put in front and changed to the Schellenbaum (jingling johny?) which is used for rythm and showing the school flag and colours. We asked her if she really wanted to play it and she said, I know the orchestra chief was putting me there because I am to tall to the others if playing in tournaments. But I tell everyone it is because I am the best looking kid at school and all eyes are on me if I lead the band :) She was the first and so far only girl carrying it.

But honestly, was more proud of her when I was called to school because she was accused of cheating in a test.

The math test demanded to draw a tangent to a parabel having a given point outside. CLass and my daughter didn't know differential analysis at this age. So the kids were more or less thought to solve it by drawing. But mine just wrote the exact number and p^2-4q =0, nothing else on her paper. She claimed that she solved the exercise without a calculator just in her head.

When I asked her how she solved it she said, that I taught our oldest how to calculate the distance from a point to a plane in an easy way: doing a balloon around the point, enlarge it till the ballon touches the plane. In this case the experienceression under the square root sign is 0. if negative the ballon would be too small and if positive it was a circle which would bet the coomon place of balloon and plane. So instead of doing vertical vectors and all this, if just the distance is needed it is enough to do a circle equation and cut it with the plane equation and say that the square root is 0.

Our second heard the explanation with the balloon even not knowing what a circle equatation is, But at the test she remembered it. She knew that cutting a line with a parabel would lead to an equatation x^2 +px +q = 0. And in the solution the square root has to be 0 for a single point, because it should be a tangent. So p^2-4q =0....

And when speaking with the teacher I was ugly to him and I asked why I was called: the solution would be easy and a 10 second exercise in brain calculating... ;)

But I wonder if I would have found the quick and easy solution at this age in a test if I would have known that the teacher was looking for a drawn solution.