Only from Missouri...

Came across this on Facebook... This falls in the category of "WTH were they smoking..?"

post-14586-0-70718600-1364614899_thumb.jpg

How it's made..

First you take some ground beef and mold it into the shape of the body. Top with sharp cheddar cheese. Weave some bacon around it. Add hot dog bits for the feet, head and tail.

Loosely cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven @ 400 F for 20 - 30 mins until crispy on the outside.

Edit: This just in.. MORE Bacon Insanity...

post-14586-0-90442100-1364615630_thumb.jpg

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1

I could answer philosophical with Friedrich Nietzsche (what doesn't kill you makes you only tougher)

or

political with:

Tierische Lebensmittel-Hygieneverordnung (Anlage 5 Kapitel 2) a 176kilobyte PDF how to handle and sell raw minced pork.

It is only made from fresh pork, making from pork which was already frozen is not allowed.

Only allowed to sell the same day you made it.

Not allowed to sell if storage place is above 7Celcius.

People who sell it have to change one-use-only-gloves after selling it.

Knives used in a store to cut the Mett are only allowed for the Mett.

We have a long tradtion with raw minced pork in germany and we have more trouble with chicken, eggs or raw salade from outside germany than with our Mett.

For 4 decades I eat Mett and never had any health problems beause of this or knowing anyone in my district who had.

@ Chattius - OK.. So it's a question of making sure your pigs are healthy and not diseased - and knowing your butcher and he's got specific rules (which seem to be as tight as those governing Kosher foods) to follow. I suppose that should be Ok then.

@ Wygram - I'm with you. Raw meat - regardless of the species just doesn't quite appeal to me.

Came across this on Facebook... This falls in the category of "WTH were they smoking..?"

attachicon.gif390630_2736663905289_1379856842_n.jpg

How it's made..

First you take some ground beef and mold it into the shape of the body. Top with sharp cheddar cheese. Weave some bacon around it. Add hot dog bits for the feet, head and tail.

Looks like Gamera...

2cdjonr.jpg

We do Mettigel.

Mett = raw minced pork: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett

Igel= hedgehog

onion sticks on back

cucumber legs

cherry tomatoe nose

Placed with slices of farmers bread at parties.

Mettigel.jpg

I think it looks kinda cute...

Not sure if I'd eat it though. The raw pork doesn't scare me, but the onions...

@ Omnicide -

Yeah.. But not that rendition. I'm thinking the ORIGINAL Gamera - from the 50's/60's monster movies...

And yeah.. I'm not so sure I would wanna eat that thing. Onions (raw) don't bother me. Especially if they're those Maui or Vidalia onions...

@ Etherian -

You know, mate, they got a smiley for that..

:sick: - last one on the 3rd set... It's typed : sick : (without the spaces)...

Hmm, probably it is because I had a long list of hessian barbarians among my ancestors.

But eating raw pork is quite normal to test sausages for the spices before they are boiled and smoked, at least for me.

The onions are what we call Metzgerzwiebel - the big ones, it translates as butcher-onions.

A more foreigner friendly recipe is probably:

Cut the cap from an onion, hole it out, boil in salt water and fill it with the Mett. Then into the oven and add some cheese while it is still hot.

rezept-gefuellte-metzgerzwiebeln.jpg

OK.. An onion stuffed with ground pork and topped with cheese. Looks interesting. Tho I'm not sure why you'd want to boil the onion before stuffing.

I'm guessing the red thread-like things are saffron... The yellow item in the 10 o Clock - would that be some sort of potato? or a squash?

The broth looks like some sort of pumpkin or squash broth...

Yes it is potato. Sauce most often one from roasted onions and sweet cream.

Boiling the onion is to prevent the onion from getting to dry and fracturing.

Preparing raw Mett in the traditional way:

home butchering was only done at frost, no flies around

cutting boards, knives, axes,... were cleaned in a big cauldron with boiling water after each step of the preparation

The water was kept in the cauldron and used to boil sausages. Then it was used as a soup: Wurstsuppe = sausage soup. If no sausage was accidently destroyed while boiling, the housewife often destroyed a blood sausage for a better taste.

IMGP6487.JPG

In a good Wurstsuppe all the little parts from cleaning the tools and fallen away pork pieces are swimming.

attachicon.gif390630_2736663905289_1379856842_n.jpg

How it's made..

Loosely cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven @ 400 F for 20 - 30 mins until crispy on the outside.

Edit: This just in.. MORE Bacon Insanity...

attachicon.gif16386_10151439726586170_2110891974_n.jpg

I'm with Wygram... more bacon! :whip:

Can see this being popular for kids though. But maybe a big turtle they all share instead of mini ones?

:)

gogo

Yes it is potato. Sauce most often one from roasted onions and sweet cream.

Boiling the onion is to prevent the onion from getting to dry and fracturing.

Preparing raw Mett in the traditional way:

home butchering was only done at frost, no flies around

cutting boards, knives, axes,... were cleaned in a big cauldron with boiling water after each step of the preparation

The water was kept in the cauldron and used to boil sausages. Then it was used as a soup: Wurstsuppe = sausage soup. If no sausage was accidently destroyed while boiling, the housewife often destroyed a blood sausage for a better taste.

IMGP6487.JPG

In a good Wurstsuppe all the little parts from cleaning the tools and fallen away pork pieces are swimming.

I have no problem with eating raw meat, as long as it was treated properly and with lots of care in the hygiene department. I love steak tartar, biltong(salted dried strips of meat) droewors(medium sized, spiced sausages that is also dried), salmon/fresh tuna tartar are all very delicious.

I am very careful of chicken and pork, but if I have it from Chattius I'm sure it will be safe to eat...

What about seasoning the mett with some freshly chopped herbs, salt, pepper, worchestershire sauce, lemon juice, drop of tabasco sauce, finely diced raw onion, maybe some capers and a touch of olive oil Chattius?

The only thing that does not look or sound good is that soup...

Delta!

The soup is the best ;)

Normally Mett is spiced the same way as for the sausage: Mettwurst (Mett-sausage). Salt and pepper are easy herbs and very very rarely having some bacteria on them. Herbs, oil, sauces are different... If using them then add them short before eating.

Spicing Mett is very local: the closer to big rivers and ocean-harbours the better the supply with spices was in old times. So people near netherlands add more different spices.

At my place: salt and pepper. And add onions when eating. Simple and traditional.

What may be troublesome outside germany: german settles in australia, southern USA, south america were living in a warmer climate and so the old butchering at first frosts was not always possible and caused some poisoning.

Germany simply doesn't have the same problem with trichinosis that the US and Canada do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

http://faculty.uml.edu/rhochberg/hochberglab/Courses/Parasite/PDF%20Papers/Nematodes/World%20Distribution%20of%20Trichinella.pdf

Modern swine raising techniques do allow for certified trichinosis-free pork, which means the meat can be cooked to a lower temperature (and therefore have more flavor and tenderness).

We also have to watch out for salmonella, which can result in very bad food poisoning.

The only meat I'll eat raw is sushi from a reputable sushi restaurant.

Bacon... yummmm. Id be tempted to try both those items Wolfie... even if eating them might be detrimental to my health.

raw meat... Sorry but doubt I could attempt that, the hedgehog sure looks cute though

As for the soup, Ummm ya.... NO THANKS (it may taste great, but I couldn't force myself to eat anything that looks like that)

Safe to say I'm a really picky eater. It has to smell good, look good and even sound good before Id attempt to see if it tastes good. Id probably starve if I moved elsewhere in the world.

• Like! 1

Bacon... yummmm. Id be tempted to try both those items Wolfie... even if eating them might be detrimental to my health.

raw meat... Sorry but doubt I could attempt that, the hedgehog sure looks cute though

As for the soup, Ummm ya.... NO THANKS (it may taste great, but I couldn't force myself to eat anything that looks like that)

Safe to say I'm a really picky eater. It has to smell good, look good and even sound good before Id attempt to see if it tastes good. Id probably starve if I moved elsewhere in the world.

Doubtful. There are McDonalds most places in the world. You'd have to move somewhere really remote - like the middle of nowhere - literally to avoid them entirely. :D

The soup doesn't sound THAT bad. A bit short on veggies, maybe, but it's not that bad. You do eat hot dogs and other sausages - right? This is just a sausage that's been deconstructed (cut open) and boiled in water. It could be worse.. MUCH worse.

Actually I've been to the Middle of Nowhere....there's a MCDonald's less than 5 miles away :)

middleofnowhere_zps0844ccea.jpg

Been there a few times to eat. It's pretty close to a tower site. And it's really out in the middle of nowhere

And now back on subject :dntknw:

McD or starving, .... 5 kids are a strong vote against McD. They are very sport active and when finishing a burger they are hungry right again. A family table at a restaurant turns are way cheaper and more satitiating, specially from thai restaurants you get real big family tables.

There is a funny article from an american marriaged to a german wife and eating Mett.... It is called: "The Wurst case scenario" , wurst = sausage.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/For-German-Butchers-a-Wurst-Case-Scenario.html

Well.. To be honest - I'm not a big McDonald's fan either. Their food - TBH - sucks... Especially the way they ladle on the Thousand Island on their Big Macs.. BLEAH! It makes the sandwich so soggy...

But that's beside the point - which was that you could always find something familiar to eat regardless of where you were going in the world. It might not be the most palatable, but hey, it's still familiar and edible - especially if you're desperate.

Very few restaurants in the US offer "family style" dining - those that do are more of the Smorgasbord variety - where you go and fill up your plate with whatever you want, eat and you can return as many times as you can before you burst at the proverbial seams. Their food tends to suck badly as well. It's made cheaply and quite frankly, I can do better at home.

I have only had buffet style meals twice in the past 3 years, one was in middle march for my sisters wedding, 150 guests are difficult to feed with a plated menu, the starters where finger foods, that we missed cause we where taking photos. the main course was satisfactory, the desserts was very disappointing though... an overly sweet lemon meringue with a soggy meringue, custard that was thick enough to be cut with a knife was served with a underbaked and dry malva pudding(a truly delicious dessert if made properly), dry black forest gateaux, and ice cream... I could've done soooooo much better.

I Haven't eaten Mcdonalds in more than 2years, and I don't feel like I'm missing out, I prefer to cook my own food at home, or go to unique eateries that prepares their food from scratch.

Delta!