Work, Life and the forums

So guys, I seem to be heading off to Africa tomorrow!

But a little back story first... I finished uni last year which some members may recall me celebrating, was fortunate enough to find a job in my field (chemical engineering) and started end of Feb this year. I've been keeping busy there ever since, which is why I havent been around on the forums as much as usual, but I'm still here posting every now and again. Anyway, I've recently gotten the opportunity to get some site experience helping with the start-up of an oil plant in central Africa and after a bit of delay, tomorrow morning is the day I fly out! I'll be back in time for christmas though which is great...but it probably means I will be here even less than usual!

So yeah, just thought I'd pop in and say hi... Hi!

DB, I been hearing about the news of your travel a bit on FB. Far land, distant places, exotic foooooooooods!It's Chad, right?

Are you involved in day to day operations, or assisting with management?

And... here comes nostalgia, you were but a wee lad of teens when we all first met up here!

:oooo:

gogo

Yeah, going to Chad. I'm not to sure exactly what I'll be doing. My company designed the facility we're going to and I think we're there to answer questions and such. But will see how it goes!

Oh gods, its one of THOSE commissions.

I remember that I needed 20 or so immunisations when my company send me to africa 12 years back for an installation of a machine. And this was just for 3 days :(

No time to look around. But I remember the funny airplanes. The autopilot was a stick with a rubber band.

• Like! 1

Cheers fellas :)

Yeah, going to Chad. I'm not to sure exactly what I'll be doing. My company designed the facility we're going to and I think we're there to answer questions and such. But will see how it goes!

Is there a compound there you'll be staying on? Politics in the area good? One of my buddies from Australia got work in Saudi, they are like living it up ! pay is just absurdly high, they give cars, watches, ipods...they do have to live on the school compound where my friend is an it teacher for Carnegie Hall, but they travel outside into city.

Sure you're going to find all the ins and outs

And, you guys having kids year or next?

:)

gogo

Wow. At least my supervisors had the decency to plan out the entire travel route during the commission.

Sounds like if you ever get to onsite, it will be another level of hell. You best start planning contingencies while you still have access to the good quality shops. Chances are you wont have half of what you have now.

That shouldn't have been an issue SX, I had plenty of help in preparing with advice from people who have been out previously so I'm pretty sure I have everything covered. Unfortunately, if I don't make it out its all been a bit of a waste of time.

• Like! 1