The Related Word Game - 2017!

cards -> poker

That line was a movie maker.  Just about the right amount of scary and intense drama a kid could handle... I remember the next every everyone spouting the lines... 

:viking:

gogo

Transmitted => communicated

9 hours ago, gogoblender said:

thats a cool word, DB  :thumbsup:

Hehe yeah, looks cool, but something I definitely hope to never see in my career. Working on gas plants etc. fire of any kind is very scary!

• Like! 1
18 hours ago, Dragon Brother said:

Hehe yeah, looks cool, but something I definitely hope to never see in my career. Working on gas plants etc. fire of any kind is very scary!

a Quick Detour through the word thread here because I was so interested in your answer :D 

One of the reasons why this particular word resonates with me is because of a collection of short stories given to me maybe ohhhh, like more than twenty years ago or so:

https://www.amazon.ca/Norton-Book-Science-Fiction/dp/0393972410

Great stories, and some of the world's best sci fi writers...  and one of the stories had the word conflagration in it... and it was a particularly haunting story... a group of wealthy Victorians all gathered around their favorite inventor listening to him talk about how he's discovered a new "element" that existed everywhere...and that by using his newly invented apparatus, he could prove it's existence as a new and unlimited power supply.

He turns on the machine and the story jumps to the new scene where a number of their group are dead, flattened, impaled by objects and burned.. while a strong and strange red glow covers everything as they look into the distance.  The World had caught on fire, and it was looping around towards them to finish them off...he had ignited the supply of Hydrogen perhaps? And so had brought about their doom

spooky huh

:blink:

gogo

Ulysses => Odysseus

On 11/26/2018 at 3:27 AM, gogoblender said:

a Quick Detour through the word thread here because I was so interested in your answer :D 

One of the reasons why this particular word resonates with me is because of a collection of short stories given to me maybe ohhhh, like more than twenty years ago or so:

https://www.amazon.ca/Norton-Book-Science-Fiction/dp/0393972410

Great stories, and some of the world's best sci fi writers...  and one of the stories had the word conflagration in it... and it was a particularly haunting story... a group of wealthy Victorians all gathered around their favorite inventor listening to him talk about how he's discovered a new "element" that existed everywhere...and that by using his newly invented apparatus, he could prove it's existence as a new and unlimited power supply.

He turns on the machine and the story jumps to the new scene where a number of their group are dead, flattened, impaled by objects and burned.. while a strong and strange red glow covers everything as they look into the distance.  The World had caught on fire, and it was looping around towards them to finish them off...he had ignited the supply of Hydrogen perhaps? And so had brought about their doom

spooky huh

:blink:

gogo

An interesting point to note is that I used the word in a technical sense. Deflagration is combustion where the flame front travels at below the speed of sound whereas a detonation occurs when a shockwave is generated which travels at greater than the speed of sound. A conflagration is a very large and destructive fire which definitely suits the description you give of a world on fire.