Guest gogoblender

Hey Blue!

I played this game fer a while...the demo anyway.

It was brilliant.

Graphics, gameplay and all.

Even the forum was friendly.

If you make a go of it I'd love to read about the adventure of Blue in Fate!

It's a mini-diablo knock off and nowhere near as time intensive as ogame :Just_Cuz_21:

:)

gogo

I got FATE just over a year and a half ago, and still poke at it from time to time. I loved it - my only complaint is that (at least then) it was Wild Tangent (which used to have a really bad reputation for spyware, although it had cleaned up quite a bit by the time I got it). It was indeed remarkably cheap, but only online in the sense that the only way you could get it was to download it and pay for it (one time, no fees) online then get an unlock code for it. Not online in the "multiplayer" sense. Maybe that's changed in the last year and a half, I'll have to pull up the site and give it another run soon :Just_Cuz_21:

Guest gogoblender

ahh, yeah...that was it DAgirl..Wild Tangent!

yeah I remember there was something about company or whatever about having it install in yer system.

ahhh

I wonder if they got that all cleaned up

:Just_Cuz_21:

gogo

Thanks a lot Gogoblender, I'm piggybacking on someone else's connection rgith now. As soon as I get home I'll watch it :Just_Cuz_21: Can you go check and tell me if you play with other players DaGirl? Or is it a solo adventure? Will be waiting on your feedback, thanks.

Ahh FATE (glares kindly at DG) I remember dloading this one I still have it on here somewhere....utterly addictive and the companions are cool! I dfdon't remember the multiplayer thing either just me and my companion running around killing things. Got to say I loved this game and the fishing!

:Just_Cuz_21: but it really is sooooo addictive!

Guest gogoblender

ahhh, yeah...you can get pets!

heh, this game was a little gem...still probably is?

I'm curious as to it's mp though...I don't rembmer if it was or not, but I'm pretty sher I remember only playing by myself.

:D

gogo

Can you go check and tell me if you play with other players DaGirl?

I just took a quick peek on the main site as well as the forum and didn't see anything to lead me to believe that it has changed to include multiplayer now (given the way it's done, it doesn't really lend itself well to MP). Feel free to dig a bit deeper yourself, you can find the forum here: https://forum.wildgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

One point that's worth mentioning that I forgot earlier is that there is some degree of modding possible, there's a section on the forum for it. Unless it's changed you can also demo it to I think the 3rd dungeon level just by downloading the game - if you want to go past that point you need to buy it and get the unlock code.

Dang, now I want to play it again - I love fishing!

• 2 months later...

Please pardon the double post, the last one was a bit long ago to be editing.

I just wanted to pass along a bit of new info on this - yesterday I was in a local electronics chain store (BB) and was amazed to see Fate boxed and on the shelf with the other games! Until then as far as I knew it was only available via digital download. I haven't researched this to find out if you still have to connect online to activate it (seems unlikely though), but it does look like it's still Wild Tangent and just distributed in the US by Encore.

You made me curious again so I checked out the site and my *phew* still installed game. Theres a new free bonus pack here available. I'll let you know what it's like later :D

The game has its merits, but to me the lack of waypoints is too much of an oversight. Needing town portal becomes more important, and eventually you're pretty much forced to accept the return to point of origin choice once you delve deeply into the dungeon. Tons of modding on the game though, so this may be up somebody's alley.

Loved the mods on this game, like Daveo said and, as well, it's very polished graphics.

Not bad fer a freebie game huh

And pets too!

:ninja:

gogo

To me it looks kinda cartoonish. =/

hehe :ninja:

yer right though. The graphics are very cartoony. But they're also very well done. The sounds, and mods are very good too. Put this into the context of the game being free and you have a winner.

:mad:

gogo

You still have to pay that one time fee gogo. It let you run it a couple times and volia you gotta pay up, lol. ;) Or buy it in store (thx Carolyn for the news :bow:)

Or has that been changed since then?

Its diablo/dungeon siege like, only more anime like. Very very addictive, I must run away before I get dragged into it. It was my diablo offline, oh mine how many hours wasted. :oooo:

The fame feature is an excellent addition too if you ask me. :)

IIRC the way the demo worked, it lets you go down to the 3rd dungeon level - heh, just enough of a taste to get addicted.

One cool change in the newest version (or maybe it's specific to the disc version, because of course I caved and picked it up just to not have to deal with finding my old activation code <which was brilliantly stored on the old computer that I've since replaced :rolleyes: >), is it lets you decide where to install it now. I hated that it forced the location in the earlier version.

lol, I spent the afternoon editing the items file insanely then cheating the items so I could play around with descendants - very cool feature IMO. When you beat the game you can either keep going, or when you get tired of it "retire" the character. When your character retires it can select 1 item to pass down to a descendant, and when it's passed it gets extra bonuses. I'm going to see how many "generations" I can make and what that does to my super spiffy uber sword. Then maybe I'll see what the 1,000,000th dungeon level is like :oooo:

Oooh I have to sqeeze in some time this week to get playing again. One of the things I loved about this game was the insane mods and tweaks you can have and not all are to make you uber and run throught the game.

Did the bonus pack come already on your bought version Carolyn?

Carolyn, that has to be one of the coolest most unique things I've ever heard of in a game. It turns you into wanting to play more! And the idea of having the item acrue more values as it gets passed down is genius. Do values stack with multiple pass downs?

:oooo:

gogo

Carolyn, that has to be one of the coolest most unique things I've ever heard of in a game. It turns you into wanting to play more! And the idea of having the item acrue more values as it gets passed down is genius. Do values stack with multiple pass downs?

:oooo:

gogo

oh yes, but just one of them.

The level gets really really hard further down, so while you have this uber weapon or whatever you want, its still really difficult to go really deep. Esp. if you don't mod ever.

Even more, you can feed your cat fish and your cat will turn into something for a while to fight. Real fun.

Did the bonus pack come already on your bought version Carolyn?
Yes :(

@gogo - they have a pretty cool way of handling dying too. If/when your character dies you have to "choose your fate" from 3 options. One is being teleported to a nearby dungeon level, but having to leave your gold where you die "for a short time," another is giving up some experience and fame points and teleported (can't remember if it's to town or a nearby level), and I can't remember the third option right now because I always take the first one.

@myles - heh, the fish are cool (plus there's fishing - dunno why because I hate it in RL, but I love fishing in games! With my non-cheat current char I got a unique item on my first fishing try - that 18k gold helped get me started nicely!). If you get flawless ones you can also transform your pet permanently, unless you later feed it a different type of fish (one of which turns it back into the original pet). Hmmm, I wonder what it'll do if you feed it a flawless one, then a different type of non-flawless to get a time limited transformation when the time limit runs out.

rofl - I forgot how addictive this thing is. I've had a hard time tearing myself away the last couple days.

It's funny Carolyn, you make me realize more and more how empowering players with creativity in a game really seems to such a huge winning factor.

I can only hope that this creativity with mods that we saw in sacred and now here in fate, keeps using that same imagination and finds ways to keep us interested.

:(

gogo