There have been a couple requests for this and off the top of my head I could imagine erialc, Katran, Ike, Indy and Myles using this sort of functionality, so... At long last I am ready to supply. But! Before I go right ahead and plug some, 4 bbcodes to be exact, in I'd like to discuss how folks would use the function. Styling of tables will likely be very limited. At least at the start anyway.

I've been looking at a tutorial that will help me implement the bbcodes and I'd like all interested parties to read the tutorial and let me know what they think of it. Maybe someone will have an idea as to how to improve on what the tutorial is doing.

Here's the link:

[iPBr] [bBCode] Tables, for IPB 2+

Almost there folks. :D

EDIT:

Months Later...

We're there! The comments I made in the above quote is quite a bit out of date for a couple of reasons, which is why it's in quotes now. This is a somewhat major update and I think I'm happy with what I'm able to offer to you guys now. For those that have been wanting tables you can now make them. have a read below and give it a try if you're up to it. Oh and feel free to ask for help here if you need. ;)

[tr][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][/tr]

Swords

Axes

Shields

BlackMoon Blade of Pain

Sleep's Brother

Shiny Kite Shield

Lethal Cyanide Sword

Thain's Axe of Flames

Darkstar

Fiery Great Sword of Might

Deft Axe of Haste

Orc's Death

Here is the code that makes the above table:

[table=80][th][center]Swords[/center][/th][th][center]Axes[/center][/th][th][center]Shields[/center][/th][tr][rh]
[center]BlackMoon Blade of Pain[/center][/rh][td=33%][center]Sleep's Brother[/center][/td][td=33%][center]Shiny Kite Shield[/center][/td][/tr][tr][rh][center]Lethal Cyanide Sword[/center][/rh][td=33%][center]Thain's Axe of Flames[/center][/td][td=33%][center]Darkstar[/center][/td][/tr][tr][rh][center]Fiery Great Sword of Might[/center][/rh][td=33%]
[center]Deft Axe of Haste[/center][/td][td=33%][center]Orc's Death[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

A bit hard to read like that so here it is laid out a bit nicer. Note that when posting tables like this you must not have any spaces between the [] tags. Also, you will need to get rid of all the line breaks in your table otherwise the resulting table will be pushed far down the page:

[table=80]
[th][center]Swords[/center][/th]
[th][center]Axes[/center][/th]
[th][center]Shields[/center][/th]
[tr]
[rh][center]BlackMoon Blade of Pain[/center][/rh]
[td=33%][center]Sleep's Brother[/center][/td]
[td=33%][center]Shiny Kite Shield[/center][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[rh][center]Lethal Cyanide Sword[/center][/rh]
[td=33%][center]Thain's Axe of Flames[/center][/td]
[td=33%][center]Darkstar[/center][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[rh][center]Fiery Great Sword of Might[/center][/rh]
[td=33%][center]Deft Axe of Haste[/center][/td]
[td=33%][center]Orc's Death[/center][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

And here's what each part means:

[table] is what must go at the start.  Type it as [table=50] to make your table width 50% of your posts width.

[tr] always comes next!  A [tr] is a "Table Row" 

[td=auto] is Table Data.  More commonly known as a Table Cell.  After a [td=auto] is where you would type your data be it text or image.

[/td] is to end a Table Cell.  You may start a new Table Cell directly after closing one like this.  [td=auto]CELL 1[/td][td=auto]CELL 2[/td][td=auto]CELL 3[/td]

THE [td] MUST ALWAYS HAVE A WIDTH DEFINED FOR EXAMPLE [td=20%]CELL 1[/td].  IF YOU WANT ALL CELLS TO HAVE THE SAME WIDTH THEN YOU CAN 
TYPE IT AS [td=auto]

[th] and [/th] is the same as [td] and [/td] except that I have given [th] and [/th] a different color style

[rh] and [/rh] is the same as [td] and [/td] except that I have given [rh] and [/rh] a different color style

SEE THE FIRST TABLE AT THE VERY TOP OF THIS POST TO SEE HOW I USE THE [th] [/th] AND THE [rh] [/rh].  [th] AND [rh] DO NOT NEED A WIDTH DEFINED

[/tr] is to close a Table Row.  Once you have closed a Row you can begin a new Row directly after like this.  
[tr][td=auto]CELL 1[/td][td=auto]CELL 2[/td][td=auto]CELL 3[/td][/tr][tr][td=auto]CELL 4[/td][td=auto]CELL 5[/td][td=auto]CELL 6[/td][/tr]

[/table] is to finish the Table completely.  This always goes at the very end of your table.

Using the code above we would have a very simple table like this:

[table=50][tr][td=auto]CELL 1[/td][td=auto]CELL 2[/td][td=auto]CELL 3[/td][/tr][tr][td=auto]CELL 4[/td][td=auto]CELL 5[/td][td=auto]CELL 6[/td][/tr][/table]

[tr][/tr][tr][/tr]
CELL 1 CELL 2 CELL 3CELL 4 CELL 5 CELL 6

Oh and you can center your tables too! Highlight your table and push the center button. rte-align-center.png

[tr][/tr][tr][/tr]
CELL 1 CELL 2 CELL 3CELL 4 CELL 5 CELL 6

Cheers and good luck! :hugs:

*Are we there yet?* :hugs: *Are we there yet?* :D

Oh thx oh thx, I promise I will make use of that code. :D

:D;):bow:

Edit: I will read that tutorial after I get a night sleep, too tire now.

lol Myles

Take your time with it Myles. There's no hurry. Well not for me anyways. :hugs: For those who read the tutorial but don't have a strong grasp on the technical aspects of the tut I would still like to know your thoughts on the examples provided in that tutorial. Maybe looking at the examples will help you to imagine how you would use this function. I'd love to read about that. :D

wow! Cool tut even though now my head hurts...I will have a go at this though and see how I do. Would be a cool addition here I think especially if we can tweak it and customise it :D

Be very handy for those stats we all love to post and for the ranks that get posted ;)

Excellent Schot...do you have some painkillers? :hugs: I seriously will try this one out :D

Oooook. So it would seem my suspicions were right.... A tables bbcode would be a teeeerrible idea. :bow:

I haven't done any playing around with this yet but within the next week and probably this coming weekend I'll do some experimenting.

Having the ability to customize your tables is going to be very tricky. Possibly impossible. BBcodes, as far as I've learned so far, don't allow for much in the way of complexity. They generally have 1, sometimes 2 options for input. That said I will probably create a single style for the table that everyone will use.

Is there a certain style or set of colours you folks think I should use? It doesn't particularly matter to me. Feel free to discuss the style among yourselves. If there is no discussion then I will likely use Imperia's table style for our own. Tans and browns would work well enough on our forum I think.

Any kind of feedback is good feedback. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I missed this thread. Again, Schot, an amazing forward move for the site. And, this one seems to be a popular idea.

Can hardly wait to see the tables in action especially with all the new content.

Great idea

:(

gogo

I think this addition will a have great many uses and I'm eager to get this one going. Unfortunately I didn't get to try any testing this past weekend but rest assured that it won't be forgotten. :P

Hmmmmm, won't this be below? Is it an image? Or maybe some sort of graphical anomaly?! Nope! This, my friends, is BBcode. :D

It's a little rough around the edges and there aren't any buttons set up yet but I thought you folks might like to see the progress on this. Following the example below you can give it a try here in this thread to your hearts content. This is a work in progress so feel free to experiment away. :)

This is the first column This is the second columnThis is the first column of the first row And this is the second column of the first rowThis is the first column of the second row And this is the second column of the second rowThis is the first column of the third row and I'm using images on it, how you can see below:

logo4.gif

And this is the second column of the third row and I'm using smilies on it:

:):bow::P B)

Here is what was typed in order to produce the table above:

[table=50][th][b]This is the first column[/b][/th][th][b]This is the second column[/b][/th][tr][td=50%]This is the first column of the first row[/td][td=50%]And this is the second column of the first row[/td][/tr][tr][td=50%]This is the first column of the second row[/td][td=50%]And this is the second column of the second row[/td][/tr][tr][td=50%]This is the first column of the third row and I'm using images on it, how you can see below:
[img=http://www.ipbrasil.com/forum/test/2p1/style_images/1/logo4.gif][/td][td=50%]
And this is the second column of the third row and I'm using smilies on it:
:)  :lol:  :P  B) [/td][/tr][/table]

There are four BBcodes that I have added. you may not always need to use all four levels of the BBcodes that have been added. It really depends on your needs. Below you can read the basic syntax:

[table=70][tr][td=30%]This is a table cell![/td][td=70%]This is another Table cell[/td][/tr][/table]

[tr][/tr]
This is a table cell! This is another Table cell

Hmmmm... Looks like I may have jumped into this a little too quick. I'll need to do some actual tests of this to be able to give greater detail on how to use this. I do plan on creating buttons for each of the four table related bbcodes which will make entering data much easier. Till then.... Good luck and let me know when you figure it out so you can explain it all to me, lol. :)

P.s.

Here's the link to the guy who created the bbcodes for all to use. If you get stuck and aren't able to get the Tables to work for you then reading the creators explanaition of it will most certainly help.

[iPBr] [bBCode] Tables, for IPB 2+

Here's a bit of an experiment from me.

Uniques

Swords

Axes

Shields

BlackMoon Blade of Pain

Sleep's Brother

Shiny Kite Shield

Lethal Cyanide Sword

Thain's Axe of Flames

Darkstar

Deft Axe of Haste

Orc's Death

And this is how it was typed:

[color=#000][size=5][u][b]Uniques[/b][/u][/size][/color]
[table=60][th][b][font=Lucida Console][size=3][u][color=#CC9933][center]Swords[/center][/color][/u][/size][/font][/b][/th][th][b][font=Lucida Console][size=3][u][color=#CC9933][center]Axes[/center][/color][/u][/size][/font][/b][/th][th][b][font=Lucida Console][size=3][u][color=#CC9933][center]Shields[/center][/color][/u][/size][/font][/b][/th][tr][td=33%][b][center]BlackMoon Blade of Pain[/center][/b][/td][td=33%][b][center]Sleep's Brother[/center][/b][/td][td=33%][b][center]Shiny Kite Shield[/center][/b][/td][/tr][tr][td=33%][b][center]Lethal Cyanide Sword[/center][/b][/td][td=33%][b][center]Thain's Axe of Flames[/center][/b][/td][td=33%][b][center]Darkstar[/center][/b][/td][/tr][tr][td=33%][b][center]Fiery Great Sword of Might[/center][/b][/td][td=33%][b][center]Deft Axe of Haste[/center][/b][/td][td=33%][b][center]Orc's Death[/center][/b][/td][/tr][/table]

That's a bit hard to read so I've organized the above so that you all will have an easier time disecting it:

[color=#000][size=5][u][b]Uniques[/b][/u][/size][/color]
[table=60]
[th][b][font=Lucida Console][size=3][u][color=#CC9933][center]Swords[/center][/color][/u][/size][/font][/b][/th]
[th][b][font=Lucida Console][size=3][u][color=#CC9933][center]Axes[/center][/color][/u][/size][/font][/b][/th]
[th][b][font=Lucida Console][size=3][u][color=#CC9933][center]Shields[/center][/color][/u][/size][/font][/b][/th]
[tr]
[td=33%][b][center]BlackMoon Blade of Pain[/center][/b][/td]
[td=33%][b][center]Sleep's Brother[/center][/b][/td]
[td=33%][b][center]Shiny Kite Shield[/center][/b][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td=33%][b][center]Lethal Cyanide Sword[/center][/b][/td]
[td=33%][b][center]Thain's Axe of Flames[/center][/b][/td]
[td=33%][b][center]Darkstar[/center][/b][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td=33%][b][center]Fiery Great Sword of Might[/center][/b][/td]
[td=33%][b][center]Deft Axe of Haste[/center][/b][/td]
[td=33%][b][center]Orc's Death[/center][/b][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

This is certainly the best looking way to type out your tables when making your post but unfortunately the creator of this BBcode says that you can not have any enter spaces in the Tables BBcode. If you do then your enter spaces will be read as < /br> when you submit. Trust me. It's a bad thing, haha. So what I would suggest is to prepare your tables in a nice orderly way like the above and when you are ready to submit then remove the enter spaces.

Now I realize that that can be a bit daunting but for the sake of experimentation give it a try and in the meantime I'll be looking into the possibilty of being able to submit tables that are orderly.

Wish me luck!

• 10 months later...

Oooook. Uncle Schot has beat his brain full of html/css bbcodes today. With plans to add some tables to the forums I've revived this old bbcode modification. Hopefully it will work as intended, heh. Unfortunately this sort of modification can only allow for one style.

Swords

Axes

Shields

BlackMoon Blade of Pain

Sleep's Brother

Shiny Kite Shield

Lethal Cyanide Sword

Thain's Axe of Flames

Darkstar

Deft Axe of Haste

Orc's Death

Here is the code that makes the above table:

[table=80][th][center]Swords[/center][/th][th][center]Axes[/center][/th][th][center]Shields[/center][/th][tr][rh]
[center]BlackMoon Blade of Pain[/center][/rh][td=33%][center]Sleep's Brother[/center][/td][td=33%][center]Shiny Kite Shield[/center][/td][/tr][tr][rh][center]Lethal Cyanide Sword[/center][/rh][td=33%][center]Thain's Axe of Flames[/center][/td][td=33%][center]Darkstar[/center][/td][/tr][tr][rh][center]Fiery Great Sword of Might[/center][/rh][td=33%]
[center]Deft Axe of Haste[/center][/td][td=33%][center]Orc's Death[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

A bit hard to read like that so here it is laid out a bit nicer. Note that when posting tables like this you must not have any spaces between the [] tags:

[table=80]
[th][center]Swords[/center][/th]
[th][center]Axes[/center][/th]
[th][center]Shields[/center][/th]
[tr]
[rh][center]BlackMoon Blade of Pain[/center][/rh]
[td=33%][center]Sleep's Brother[/center][/td]
[td=33%][center]Shiny Kite Shield[/center][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[rh][center]Lethal Cyanide Sword[/center][/rh]
[td=33%][center]Thain's Axe of Flames[/center][/td]
[td=33%][center]Darkstar[/center][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[rh][center]Fiery Great Sword of Might[/center][/rh]
[td=33%][center]Deft Axe of Haste[/center][/td]
[td=33%][center]Orc's Death[/center][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Just a bit of an opener for now. I'll likely be tweaking this a bit more. :D

• 1 year later...

Quite a bit of an update here folks. If you're wanting to make tables in your posts then by all means read up on the first post in here. I've updated it with some detailed examples. :woot:

First Post